Sarah's Mandolin

I traced it out on the sheet of adhesive and then cut it out, staying inside the lines because I do not want this to squish out and be visible.

IMG_2202.JPG

IMG_2204.JPG

I peeled off the backing and applied the part adhesive side down to some parchment baker's paper that I doubled over at one end.

IMG_2205.JPG

I position it on the tailpiece and pull the long end, which peels the backing out leaving the adhesive backed part just where I placed it.

IMG_2206.JPG

SR

That IPA burst schedule is really a winner Scott. Truly is. I can't help but notice the binding faults though. I mean, they don't cause fundamental issues however I guess they're mentally making you kick yourself on some level? If anything, it's always good to find something in some area to improve oneself. :thumb:

Simon, PsikoT, and Norris--thank you very much.

5 hours ago, Prostheta said:

That IPA burst schedule is really a winner Scott. Truly is. I can't help but notice the binding faults though. I mean, they don't cause fundamental issues however I guess they're mentally making you kick yourself on some level? If anything, it's always good to find something in some area to improve oneself. :thumb:

Thems ain't binding faults, thems is battle scars, evidence of the epic, long fought, outcome always in doubt, war involved in getting this pointy, twisty, curved bastard bound. Thems CHARACTER!  :P

Seriously, there are dozens of things I'd liked to have done better, dozens of lessons learned, and dozens of things that would be easier on a second build. Like nearly all my first attempts.

Overall, I'm happy with the way this thing looks. I should be able to hear how it sounds in the next few days. Like I said in the beginning, if Sarah's not happy with it, I guess I've got me a new mandolin.

SR

Hahahaha! Well, we've all got the right attitude of taking something from everything we do. I mean, that was an absolute ballache of a binding job and you managed to fight it through to the finished item, warts and all. Matters not. If you run another mando or similar, it'll be ten times better for having taken on the experience....

Same as like the acoustic project I've tasked myself with....the first iteration will no doubt have the rough edges and imperfections, but underneath it all I can gain the experience of dialling in a nicer-sounding top and get the whole process locked down into my head. Nailing it first time and obsessing over doing that is usually the best way towards ensuring the project gets derailed for long periods at a time.

Not that this ever happens to me.

• Like 1

Nice job Scott.  This looked like it had its fair share of challenges. Carl said out loud what I was thinking about the binding but I don't hold anything against you for it.  This ranks pretty high on the binding difficulty scale. I'm actually a little bummed you didn't document more of the process and the tribulations that ensued. Kudos for attempting it. BTW how did you handle polishing the parts of the scroll that you couldn't comfortable access? Did you just leave it?

Hey John, it's been awhile buddy! I was concentrating and trying to figure out how to get those curly little pieces of binding to go and stay where they belonged in the short working window of that binding glue with only two hands......documenting the trials took second place.

Plus I didn't want to scare Sarah.:D

As for polishing the tight parts of the scrolls....nope,  it didn't happen. I couldn't come up with a way to not cut through the lacquer on the visible parts, which are binding edges and get anything actually polished on the insides of the curls. You're just not allowed to look in there.

SR

• Like 1

Always a pleasure, John.

I couldn't not say anything. I mean, no need to be prissy and Scott is an adult after all....a mandolin is in no way a simple job to work around. Especially that shape with the scrolls and whatnot.

I do however, expect you to make another one Scott. :D