Sarah's Mandolin

6 hours ago, Aakoo said:

I find this topic very inspiring. I think I might have to do an mandolin next winter!

Lovely work, and more pics please!

Why thank you sir!

I must admit to being pleasantly surprised at how much I'm enjoying this build, and how cool I'm finding the little instrument that's taking shape.

It's about time to get with my lovely darlin' daughter in law for some input on finishing colors.

SR

IMG_1884.JPG

IMG_1885.JPG

That was fun.

But what's up next is not, at least in my book. This little attachment for a Dremel is used to cut a binding channel in areas that do not have two flat surfaces adjacent to one another........much like an arch topped mandolin.

IMG_1887.JPG

It allows you to guide over curved surfaces, but those surfaces are still unstable and any rocking will change the cut of your channel.

IMG_1888.JPG

I started with the back, after practicing on scrap. When it is all said and done I expect I'll have some areas to fix.

Sorry Sarah.:huh:

SR

And there are many areas on this little beast that must have the channels cut by hand.

IMG_1889.JPG

IMG_1890.JPG

I do not bind my guitar builds because I like free flowing curves and soft corners for looks and comfort......and because binding is a royal pain in the ass, but it is an integral part of the look of an F-5 mandolin, so it must be done.

IMG_1891.JPG

And it will be stunning when it is done.:P

SR

• Like 2

14 hours ago, SIMpleONe89 said:

Looks amazing scott. Can't wait to see it finished. 

Those round over glue lines look like the ones on my current build so I'm glad that they will sand out!

Thanks Simon.  Yeah it was your thread I was referring to. I thought it was when I was typing.......but was too lazy to stop in the middle of my post and go check.:P

SR

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

It looks superb, Scott.  

I also have one of those dremel binding attachments.  As you say, they are quite tricky to use....but not as tricky as hand-cutting.  I bow to your skill and patience ref the scroll....

Andy

Thanks Andy. The scrolls are a challenge, but at least of the kind I've tackled before. I did manage to open them up a bit more than normal....there's just not much room in there. The real challenge will be cutting the channel through that ebony layer on the headstock scrolls.

SR

The top went faster. Spruce is both easier and harder than maple to carve. But it was the experience of carving the back that made it go faster......so to speak. it still took all weekend to finish the back and the top.

IMG_1915.JPG

IMG_1916.JPG

Since StuMac does not sell or provide laminated three ply binding in its mandolin kits, I had to laminate my own. I built this jig out of a cheap nylon cutting board and some used nylon cut sticks from our biggest guillotine cutter at work.

IMG_1921.JPG

It's kind of like extrusion in reverse. I painted a few inches of acetone between the plies and pulled them into the blocks. That set for a minute or two then I pushed it back out and coated a couple more inches and rinse and repeat ad infinitum.

IMG_1925.JPG

Next weekend we'll attempt the actual binding of this little beast....

SR

• Like 1

Thanks, Simon. Carving the scrolls was a bit time consuming but not all that difficult It takes a bunch of small cuts. You get tempted to take larger ones but there is really no room, so you can't really give in to that temptation (which would be courting disaster). The trickiest part is the bottom of the channel as it rises off the glue line and climbs up and around the scroll. The transition needs to be smooth.

Calm comes natural I think, Carl. These builds over the years have become my chief form of relaxation on the weekends. Although I must admit I do get pretty excited about finally bolting on the hardware and hitting the strings for the first time!

SR

• Like 1

Trudat.

It can be the whole motivation for building a new one. I can be sitting in the garage having a cold beer after a day of building and wonder if I use that timber for the top and that one over there for the body....and make the neck out of that piece on the top shelf....and get those pups, that try that one bridge I've been wanting....what would it sound like? Especially if I try that new carve I've been thinking about.......well hell, I'll just build it and find out.:)

SR