Sarah's Mandolin

Well, I'm learning a lot about binding. Mostly that I'm not especially good an it, and a whole lot of what to do differently next time.

IMG_1930.JPG

Some of my routes got deep as I was learning my new tool so the back got a thicker outer layer.

IMG_1931.JPG

Thicker outer layers make it harder to bend and fit in tight places.

IMG_1932.JPG

IMG_1934.JPG

SR

IMG_1935.JPG

IMG_1937.JPG

On to the front. I used a little thinner outer layer for the front, which was easier to bend.

IMG_1946.JPG

Whilst the binding was drying I began to cut the channels in the headstock. The sides have a wide variety of changing geometry. so much that I was only comfortable routing most, but not all of the wide side sweeps.

IMG_1947.JPG

SR

Well, you seem to be managing quite well. Binding a small and complex item is a real challenge on many levels.

What glue are you using? I find that glues like Weld-On soften the binding through and through and it can mush up very easily, allowing things to get out of hand. Really annoying for multi ply binding. Currently I am using acetone to self-weld and that seems to be very clean, however can also be sensitive to overpressuring. The elastic is probably the best way forward and it looks to be turning out nicely.

Hopefully you'll be rewarded once the scrapers come out, and I can't wait for those photos. :thumb:

14 hours ago, SIMpleONe89 said:

Looks tedious and difficult! Hope all goes well with the scroll. 

Yep, you nailed it. Slow and easy does it is the only option.

8 hours ago, Prostheta said:

Well, you seem to be managing quite well. Binding a small and complex item is a real challenge on many levels.

What glue are you using? I find that glues like Weld-On soften the binding through and through and it can mush up very easily, allowing things to get out of hand. Really annoying for multi ply binding. Currently I am using acetone to self-weld and that seems to be very clean, however can also be sensitive to overpressuring. The elastic is probably the best way forward and it looks to be turning out nicely.

Hopefully you'll be rewarded once the scrapers come out, and I can't wait for those photos. :thumb:

After trying a few options from the local hobby shops I went with StewMac's overpriced stuff.

http://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and_Supplies/Glues_and_Adhesives/StewMac_Bind_ALL_Guitar_Binding_Glue.html

It actually works quite well. I used acetone to laminate the plies together before shaping them and had some de-lamination in the tight arcs, which I halfway expected. I wish that kit had come with one piece three ply.

26 minutes ago, KnightroExpress said:

Better and better! That binding looks like quite the task, but it looks like you've got it under wraps. 

Thanks! I see what you did there.

SR

I was going to say that for the next time (if were) is better if you glue the layers separately, one after the other, because bending 3 layers together is the hell, specially in those small areas, also prone to weird deformations in the outer layer... However I see that in mandolins, due to the body shape, you have to cut in angle to make the corners, which requires to have the 3 layers glued together before cutting...

Not an easy task man, binding is always a mess until you scrape... and you never know what you can find, but they have an easy repair if necessary.

• Like 1

Yep, that covers about everything I've run into. Being able to make repairs is the upside. To twist the old ZZTop line--I'm gettin' good at missin' you, I practice all the time: I'm gettin' good at fixin' things, I practice all the time.

SR

Haha. Patience my friend. If I have to wait, then so do you.

Actually I've done a bit of scraping, and despite my carping, it looks pretty good over all. I'll have plenty of things to touch up, but the binding is doing what binding does--adding a touch of class.

SR

I haven't gotten around to all the little touch up repairs that need made ......

IMG_1967.JPG

Then I cut some abalam into inlay pieces.

And forgot to take a pic before marking them.....

While each section of binding was drying I scraped the binding on the body.

IMG_1969.JPG

IMG_1974.JPG

IMG_1976.JPG

SR

• Like 2

I wanted to see it now with the neck in place and the 15th fret cross-piece in place.

IMG_1977.JPG

And the bound body and headstock.:)

Time to glue the 15th fret cross-piece in place.

IMG_1982.JPG

This is an addition to the neck block. It both adds neck joint support and starts the support apparatus of the extended fretboard.

IMG_1983.JPG

IMG_1995.JPG

SR

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Tekkelenburg said:

Love the binding on it!

Headstock inlay looks really classy, nice B-)

Thanks!

I'm looking forward to seeing that inlay actually inlaid and finished.

2 hours ago, Norris said:

Wow. Inspirational stuff!

Thanks, Norris. It's coming along.....sometimes not so quickly, but it's coming.

SR