Sarah's Mandolin

5 hours ago, ScottR said:

Thanks Andy. Will you still be making one?

SR

Almost certainly, Scott.

I am inspired in two directions.  I would like to build a mandolin for my sister who gave me a splendid book a few years ago that contains a number of plans.  I would probably go for one of the designs that is constructed more like a flat-topped acoustic and try for eking out as much tone and resonance as I can.  Their compromise is that the looks are a somewhat plainer than the style that you have built, although it would also mean I wouldn't have to tackle that utterly spellbinding scroll! :D

The other thing that I'm inspired by is the look of your mandolins top and finish.  It has reminded me that the archtop I have had in my head for sometime simply MUST be built.  It's one of the reasons I got the Veritas pullshave.  Another reason to get on with it :D

• Like 1

4 hours ago, psikoT said:

Great work, I would like to hear it... how is the volume on such tiny instrument?... I mean, why the hell there are no pickups???

Doh! I knew I forgot something. The volume is not overpowering, but plenty loud enough for a living room or something similar. It actually rings for quite a long while after being strummed.

It sounds like a mandolin to me, but I'll have to get the verdict from Sarah as to whether it sounds like a mandolin is supposed to.:D

I'm taking it on an 1100 mile trip in a few days to hand it over to its new owner.

SR

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sure. That and the accomplishment of overcoming something never tried, bettering something I didn't do properly when I knew I was shooting under target, the realisation of something in my head to something physical. Refining and evolving. We all have our satisfaction triggers. You should see the PCBs I've got coming in for a retrofit electronics makeover.

You sir, are quite the analytical fellow. 

Actually, I think most of us creative types have similar satisfaction triggers with minor variations allowing for personal idiosyncrasies. All those you mentioned certainly work for me as well. Sometimes I look at them just like you do......sometimes I just say it makes me happy to do, so I do it.:D

SR

I appreciate that Norris, very kind of you to say so. Finishing is always bittersweet for me. It is a huge satisfaction to actually pull off what you intended, after all that is what you've been striving for over the last several months. So a huge sigh of relief is in order. Two weeks later, I miss the project desperately. So yes, there is likely a new build coming in the not too distant future.:)

SR

• Like 2