Sarah's Mandolin

Thanks Luis!

Good to hear from you again. I drove through a corner of your corner of the world last week. It was hot dry and windy...pretty much normal in other words. Then driving along some trout streams and Blue Mesa Reseviour made me wonder if you'd had any luck this year?

SR

3 hours ago, ScottR said:

Thanks Luis!

Good to hear from you again. I drove through a corner of your corner of the world last week. It was hot dry and windy...pretty much normal in other words. Then driving along some trout streams and Blue Mesa Reseviour made me wonder if you'd had any luck this year?

SR

blue mesa in colorado? still a lot greener and nicer than here!
Ive been fishing a bit in the heat. We've had a wave of nothing under 99 for the past 3 weeks.
Caught this one a few days ago at a local pond though.
13754421_1365195450174724_33719203828112

Sweet! I have not been bass fishing in a farm pond in a long time.....and I love and that's one of my favorite things.

And yes, blue mesa in Colorado. I had forgotten how long that lake was. I drove the length of it at sunset and the whole thing was covered with rings. Alas, I had no gear with me on this trip.

SR

4 hours ago, ScottR said:

Sweet! I have not been bass fishing in a farm pond in a long time.....and I love and that's one of my favorite things.

And yes, blue mesa in Colorado. I had forgotten how long that lake was. I drove the length of it at sunset and the whole thing was covered with rings. Alas, I had no gear with me on this trip.

SR

It is pretty fun. That is the only one within 100 miles of albuquerque though.
I still have yet to go to colorado. I should go already. 100X the amount of water than here.

• 4 weeks later...

I signed my self in for a instrument building class also this year. I got really a lot inspired of this thread, and decided I will go for a mandolin. I will start later on a thread for the build, but as for my few questions, I will hijack this thread

I have some flame birch planks lying around at my parents place, which I am planning to use for the neck and bottom of the instrument. I guess it will work just fine, specially if I laminate the neck, adding a veneer laminate in the center line. Or would the birch perhaps work better as top?

Then a question about fret board. Is it flat on mandolin? How thick should it be? I wonder this because I got some lovely birch strips, with lovely figure (something similar to this http://puusektori.fi/Portals/64/kuvia/visakoivu_pieni.jpg). I don't remember the sizes of the strips, but I am afraid that the strips are not thick enough as a fretboard. If so, I might use the strips for binding, we'll see :) 

Thanks for the input :)

The fretboard in mine was flat, and every one I have seen have been flat. I don't see why you couldn't put a radius on it if you wanted too, as long as the nut and bridge saddles were built to match. On the other had they are quite narrow, so you wouldn't have much radius in play.

MY understanding is you can use pretty much what you want for the back and sides as long as it can be bent and is structurally sound. The wood choice would color the sound. As for the top, spruce is prized because of its weight to stiffness ratio. As with acoustic guitars, various top woods have been used successfully. The wood choice for the top will affect the tone and loudness more so than the body wood. And it has to be able to take the force of the strings at that high angle and still be thin enough to vibrate well.

Have fun with this project!

SR

This one only took a half hour or so to rebuild....but it only needed the first page and a few odd shots here and there.

That makes me wonder how long the unreplaced shots will last.:unsure:

I got to visit this little beauty last February. Actually, I was meeting my grandson for the first time and snuck a peek during his nap. I forgot how sweet this looked and felt. I might be a little jealous of Sarah.:)

SR