Sarah's Mandolin

Jinkies! Is that your IPA burst again? Seeing your skills applied to a mandolin is thrilling. First time experience right through for me. It looks intricate but perhaps not as annoying as manipulating a big heavy guitar or bass around whilst working it.

Do those frets have tangs or are they more or less plain? They're barely there!

6 hours ago, ScottR said:

IMG_2106_zpsfwo2rc9e.jpg

IMG_2108_zpsknjc1jci.jpg

This is always the stage where I hate red dye. I'm sure that people far more knowledgeable than myself can explain this, however some reds seem to look gaudy and flat. Totally out of tonal range with their neighbours. Dirty. It happened with Nina's wine cabinet, however like when you applied the subsequent colours over the top, it blends out and becomes harmonious again. Every time this stage is reached, it always feels like "what's gone wrong now then?". Just got to suck it up and soldier on.

Kind of like brewing a beer. Tasting it before it goes into conditioning makes you wonder if you've screwed it up.

"Change down, man. Find your neutral space. You got a rush. It'll pass. Be seated."
- Danny

14 hours ago, curtisa said:

Looking good there, Scott.

13 hours ago, KnightroExpress said:

Getting close to the end! This is a beautiful little instrument. 

10 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

I love seeing your finishes develop, Scott.  It looks superb. :)

Thanks Andrew, Andrew, and Andy!

We sent some of these pics to Sarah, who just happened to be at the Telluride blue grass festival, watching people play these things for four days. I'm thinking it will have a good home.

SR

11 hours ago, Prostheta said:

Jinkies! Is that your IPA burst again? Seeing your skills applied to a mandolin is thrilling. First time experience right through for me. It looks intricate but perhaps not as annoying as manipulating a big heavy guitar or bass around whilst working it.

Do those frets have tangs or are they more or less plain? They're barely there!

That is indeed another IPA burst. It's going to be in the same house as the first one.

First time experience for me too!, It is definitely easier to manipulate than a guitar build, but so far my guitar builds have been simpler. Even being a kit this thing seems to have more details vying for my time. The frets do have standard sized tangs which are almost as wide as the shoulders. I had to use tweezers to align them in the slots. Leveling was a scary proposition for fear of having nothing left, and no crowning tool I own would even reach the crowns before bottoming out on the board. Assuredly a different experience than fretting with the stainless steel jumbos I normally use.

SR

9 hours ago, Prostheta said:

This is always the stage where I hate red dye. I'm sure that people far more knowledgeable than myself can explain this, however some reds seem to look gaudy and flat. Totally out of tonal range with their neighbours. Dirty. It happened with Nina's wine cabinet, however like when you applied the subsequent colours over the top, it blends out and becomes harmonious again. Every time this stage is reached, it always feels like "what's gone wrong now then?". Just got to suck it up and soldier on.

Kind of like brewing a beer. Tasting it before it goes into conditioning makes you wonder if you've screwed it up.

I think that has to do with it being such a midtone color. It cuts the contrast of the other colors in half. It sure is flat though, you are correct in that.

1 hour ago, maull said:

She was stunning as a blond but WOW!  Love the burst.  

Thanks Jerry. She really was a good looking blond, but auburn is working too.

SR

45 minutes ago, psikoT said:

Looks super cool... that sunburst definitely makes the difference, congratulations.

I'm glad you like it!

12 minutes ago, KnightroExpress said:

Scott, whenever I get around to building something that requires a burst, I'm gonna send it over to you for an IPA burst. You'd probably discover a few bottles/cans of 'inspiration' included as well  :thumb:

That sounds like a plan I can work with.:)

SR

Next up was to complete the burst with tinted lacquer layers and then scrape the binding clean again. I came very close to leaving the binding as it was......it had a very aged look that I liked. But I must admit the contrast of the clean(ish) binding is striking.

IMG_2147.JPG

IMG_2148.JPG

That chair is still for bums......

IMG_2149.JPG

IMG_2151.JPG

SR

• Like 2

Whilst the nitro is curing I took a look at the tail piece cover.

IMG_2186.JPG

It is kind of plain, so I thought I might make it more interesting with an ebony offcut from the headstock plate.

IMG_2197.JPG

I cut it, carved it and polished it up.

IMG_2198.JPG

Now to get some adhesive on it that will not smear out onto the tail piece cover.

IMG_2199.JPG

SR

• Like 1