Regius meets RG: first build in progress

Not really a new member, but I've been away a long time. Also, I've long toyed with the idea of building a guitar, but never dared to really start from scratch. I honed my skills building guitar pedals and designing PCBs over the past 5 years, build a partscaster and a Jazz Bass from unfinished parts. So I guess the next thing is to finally take the plunge. It might go south, but at least it will be a learning experience. So, instead of buying another guitar, this is going to have to satisfy my GAS for 2016.

The plan: build a guitar inspired on a Mayones Regius with bolt-on construction and conventional arm rest and belly cut, Ibanez RG style, instead of Mayones radiusing.. Maple neck, ebony fretboard, alder or mahogany body. No fancy tops for now. Ebony veneer on the headstock and a Wudtone finish. I would like to add a single 1 mm strip of binding to the front of the body, but am unsure how to do that with an armrest carved out.

The past week I've been designing the body using Photoshop's path tool, working mainly from a scaled photo of a Regius. I quite like the original 3x3 headstock, but a 6 in line headstock could also work nicely. Right now, I've got a modified ESP headstock on there, but I might even go for traditional strat. Not sure yet. I hope to finalize the design in the next few days (possible including a few headstock altneratives) and have it laser cut as a template. Actual wood working is planned to start at the end of april.

The design so far is attached. Any and all comments and suggestions welcome of course!

RegiusRG.jpg

Edited by Rockhorst

I think you have a great start here! My only note might be that I don't feel that the very pointy headstock is a match for the rest of the form. Overall though, I definitely like it. 

If you'd like any help or advice on lasered templates, I'd be happy to share my experience with you, as I'm a heavy user of lasered acrylic.

• Like 1

Fiddled around some more with the paths. I made the heel at the body a little beefier and redid the humbucker template to better match my router bit. Still torn on which headstock to choose. I tried a few designs but keep coming back to either Mayones shape or traditional Strat shape. I think the former would look good with a matching headstock while the latter would be better with just wood color. I guess it's hard to break free from those traditions Should be off to the laser people tomorrow.

regiusfinal_zps8jg1kev7.jpg

Edited by Rockhorst

I understand the call for an original headstock design. I'll definitely keep looking for something satisfactory. But for now, I just want to get building. It's a first build and I'm not even sure if it will see completion. Truly great designs are few and far apart. Waiting for a satisfactory headstock design would, at the moment, distract too much from the main goal: learning new skills. I'd like to get the templates made and might as well throw in the two headstock options I have right now. A template for a different headstock could easily be made further along the road if I come up with something...

And it's going to be a bolt on, so nothing is set/glued in stone.

Edited by Rockhorst

Forgot to take the cut width itself into account, so need to add an offset to the templates, which can't be done in Photoshop. Getting some help from KnightroExpress on that. Also got a 30 day Illustrator trial to attempt it myself...Found a few glitches in the way Photoshop handled the paths also. Guess it's not the ideal tool for the job (but hey).

• Like 1

Got a trial version of Illustrator running so I added the offset myself. This is the result:

template_zpsdi9ktnaa.jpg

The neck is slightly wider than the pocket, which is fine. It's (just under) 1 mm oversized from it's designed width, so that should be fine once sanded. Eager to start, wood comes in next week and then there's a two week holiday following.

Edited by Rockhorst

• 2 weeks later...

Bought a lot of tools, including a router. I went with the Triton since it fitted the budget and I've heard good (and bad) things about it. I've got no real experience with routers, so I guess it will be fine. Sorry for the crappy quality phone pics.

01_tools_zps9mjdd8n6.jpg

Ordered some wood, unseen but I'm quite pleased with what I received. There's a 1 piece mahogany body and a 2 piece alder body. I decided the alder will be used for this build.

02_mahogany_zpsqplrqrgj.jpg

03_alder_zpsmgblp4zy.jpg

Building starts tomorrow!

Edited by Rockhorst
Pictures didn't show
  • Like 1

Well, I ordered alder, but it does look more like ash figuring, I agree. It's quite tightly pored though. I'm fine with both for now. The ash slab is 4.25 kg and the mahogany is 6 kg by the way. The density of the alder/ash blank 450 kg/m3, more consistent with alder than ash. Anyway, both would work fine for me :)

Edited by Rockhorst
  • Like 1

No that's Alder alright. Not completely like the Alder we get here, but definite not Ash. I see what you guys mean though....Ash is a lot more striated with pores along the flat (cathedral?) cut face. Nice bit of wood purchasing. Unseen is always a crapshoot unless the dealer has a good reputation.

I like your organisation too. It reminds me that I need some of that.