No Sound - Active EMG 81/85's

Hey All,

New to the forum, looks like a great place with people who have a great deal of knowledge though, so i'm hoping that someone wouldn't mind helping please! Also, please excuse me if this post is in the wrong spot - i also tried searching.

I got a guitar kit a while ago and also purchased the EMG 81/85's to go with it - I did all the work on the body to stain and oil it along with routing out a hole for the battery of the active pups to go in.

I finally finished the build last night and when i went to plug the guitar in it made no sound, so I checked the following, *Checked volume (was all the way up on both amp and guitar) *checked the cable with another guitar which worked *replaced 9V battery with another new one (both work in pedals) *took back plate off the guitar and re-soldered the connections on the 3 way switch *purchased new multimeter today and checked the connection of each positive and negative point *checked input jack and verified connections are correct * made sure all cables are plugged in tight

One thing i did notice is that with the battery not plugged in there is no power to anything this includes when the input jack is plugged in and the amp is on - i figured this would be normal though as the battery is a necessity for the pickups to work.

I'm honestly not sure what else to do, and i'm so frustrated that it doesn't work, i'd love some advise if anyone can help.

Let me know if you need more info.

I've also attached a picture which is the exact way the wiring is done.

Thanks in advance,

Kurt.

EMG wiring.png

¿Did you shield the electronics cavity? On various ocations I have run into shielding making a short with something and the solution was a bit of masking tape. If your cavity has shielding just take the electronics out (without disconecting anything) and see if the guitar now has sound. If it does it's just a short circuit, a bit of masking and youre done. 

Hey,

i have the whole cavity shielded with the copper tape that came with the kit and there's a lot of it, lol.

When you say take the electronics out, do you mean physically undo ALL of the parts, ie. volume and tone pots + input jack, mounting block and selector switch? - sorry for the dumb question.

thanks for your reply!

Hi

if you swop the two connectors 'from the neck' and 'from the bridge', does the neck now not work and the bridge does work?  If so, there's a short or dry connection or error or fault somewhere in the bridge side of the circuit.  If the bridge pickup still makes no sound, then it might be something to do with the pickup or its connectors....

Thanks for the help guys.  It actually turns out that im just a novice with this as i havent built a guitar before and the copper tape i had put too much on,  it was touching thr base of the pickups and the pots. 

All working now and i couldnt be happier for a first build. 

:)

16 hours ago, Mr_PaTi3Nc3 said:

Thanks for the help guys.  It actually turns out that im just a novice with this as i havent built a guitar before and the copper tape i had put too much on,  it was touching thr base of the pickups and the pots. 

All working now and i couldnt be happier for a first build. 

:)

I'm glad that you solved the problem! And yeah; I know how shielding can short circuit your electronics because I've been there too, it's a pain in the arse. 

So, this is what it turned out to be. Im super happy with it for a first build, and thanks heaps to the people who gave me input on the issues with the short circuiting - also, the pickup rings and pickups are the wrong way around in this photo as it was the night before i managed to finish it off properly

20160416_182440.jpeg

20160416_182423.jpeg

Edited by Mr_PaTi3Nc3
Edit