Entry for December 2019's Guitar Of The Month is open - ENTER HERE!

djobson101

Living Vicariously Through Your Projects

Welp, as of late I've been perusing through the In Progress threads more frequently, and it has had a seriously therapeutic value to me. I try to keep from complaining too much about life, I'm constantly trying to remind myself that there are lots of good things I have going on, everything from health to freedom. There are certainly times when you get a few curveballs in a row, though. Time and money have not been plentiful lately, it seems that I have a knack for procuring other expenses and commitments every time I am set to grab a new tool or make a jig. The latest great decision I made was buying and fixing up a vehicle for my old lady (turned out spending around $2k) to have the timing chain snap and turn it into a nice big rolling heap of scrap metal. There are much worse things in life, but it definitely resets the clock on guitar build aspirations. During this time too I am trying to grow a construction/contracting business with my father, which is cool, but takes a lot out of me by the time I get home.

It just seems like getting into guitar building is a purposeful choice for me - I love to play guitar, and have more or less always worked a laborious or construction related job. And you know, you start messing with changing a part on a guitar here and there and well - I think everyone around here knows how that one goes :happy: One other helpful thing is, I got up to speed on a decent AutoCAD program and have been able to fool around with some design stuff. 

Essentially... my message in this thread is: Keep up your amazing work! For I have found that sifting through the build threads and watching the masters at work is my way of making guitar building an inevitable outcome of my situation. Kind of inspired by a Dr. Wayne Dyer book. Anyways..  thanks for reading my sob story!

I too have always worked in construction and still play my guitar...playing for 26 years and ironworking for 23.

Projects keep you sane.It doesn't always have to be guitar building,but it helps.

1 hour ago, westhemann said:

Projects keep you sane.It doesn't always have to be guitar building,but it helps.

Trudat!

SR

Indeed they do. I feel the same way with approaching work... In an ideal world, work would also help keep me sane - my old man has been in the business for a long time, super knowledgeable on building materials and methodology, but as a mechanic he has a tendency to get in his own way a lot. While it is very trying to work in the field with him at times, I guess on the upside it makes me focus a lot on my own workflow for just about anything.

Funny that you should mention this. I have my own personal zen when working which I'm having to learn my way around so that I can properly document what I do for other people. Obvious reasons. Sometimes I am so caught up in the work joy that I forget. Equally my wife is learning furniture-making so I often have to dial back my drive so I can explain things that I literally take 100% for granted. I can produce all kinds of things on full auto, and to the outsider it seems like an opaque weird magic.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2016 at 8:25 AM, Prostheta said:

Funny that you should mention this. I have my own personal zen when working which I'm having to learn my way around so that I can properly document what I do for other people. Obvious reasons. Sometimes I am so caught up in the work joy that I forget. Equally my wife is learning furniture-making so I often have to dial back my drive so I can explain things that I literally take 100% for granted. I can produce all kinds of things on full auto, and to the outsider it seems like an opaque weird magic.

Teaching the outsider is like an entirely different skill unto itself! I could see this especially when you have a very refined/streamlined operation. I've been catching on to the whole thing of watching someone demonstrate a technique in 30 seconds that has been practiced for thousands of hours, and accepting that it will take time and time only to try and get close to duplicating the results :lol:

Totally. I'm very methodical with a lot of what I do, so everything is in place in my head. If anybody asks, "why are you doing that?" I often have to stop and think, since I work on auto. Straight into the work kind of thing.

We're currently doing our night class professional woodworking degree a few hours a week and doing this together....a sofa....you might have caught the other photos of our laminating work....

Not my design in terms of the original piece, however the planning and everything beyond the inspiration is totally my own choice. No plans exist for this, so it was ground up in that respect. Virtually no 90° angles, and we're working to (self-set) tolerances of <1mm (about 1/32"?).

If it's not a challenge, I get bored very easily.

render_300116-1309.JPGrender_300116-1239.JPG

Perhaps "vicarious" is the wrong choice of word in my case. I like to understand, unpick, solve and encompass new problems. Heeeeey Aspergers, eh? I take anything that I do not know (yet) or unknowns as challenges to be overcome. I love it. Nothing gives me greater pleasure. Often it gives you insight into the original designer's mindset and approach to their own set of challenges.

If anything, I want to do more work on translating that into a form that other people benefit from. If they latch onto the mindset and thinking methods, fantastic. There genuinely is a plane that you live on when working with wood. No joke intended.

<weird ramble over>

Cool exploded view; that helps to understand the work involved. You do realize you are now going to have to post the finished product don't you? I love all the none 90 degree stuff. Makes me think of the Acropolis.

SR

This is just a larger version of my armchair....making a sofa....

20141127_142413.jpg

An original:

4.JPG

• Like 1

That's some upper-tier work you've done on those - I think furniture is one of those things that many take for granted while passing by it in the house daily, the precision and focus that went into making the piece, as in with those tolerances you have! I tried to throw together a cocktail table some time ago out of some rough warped boards without truing or planing any of them, let's just say the joinery has a indiscreet look to it. I would be flat out embarrassed to share pictures of it now <_< 

I was just reading back and I think I worded the post confusingly, what I meant was that "I" am the one who is living vicariously through "your" guys' projects... you know, because I haven't actually built anything yet :blush and the instruments I'm watching you guys make are the stuff dreams are made of. I think I'm just an over-explainer, especially with a computer as the interface :lol: in other words, your guys' build threads are keepin' me hopes up!

Yeah, that would make more sense....! Well, researching what you want to do makes sense. If it feels like you're living vicariously through our projects, then hey, what's wrong with that? If something inspires you or you take enjoyment from it, then whatever you're taking onboard will mean more to you when you stump up and start a build. Knowledge doesn't mean that much if you can't relate to it or absorb it.

Thanks for the positive words on my "other" work. I don't share too much of that here since it's a bit soapboxy and OT. I like work that forces me to formulate new approaches on workholding, jigs, etc. Again, my buttons being pushed by problem-solving.

• Like 1