i wound the pickups whist i was waiting for some for some templates for f holes to arrive in the post unfortunately i didnt take any pictures whilst doing it just one of wax potting them at the end .

i am using P90's in this build and have underwound them. its supposed to be 10000 winds i did 9700 on the neck and 9900 on the bridge. i cant remember the exact resistances now but was what you would expect from a vintage P90

Untitled.png

F hole templates arrived and due to a misinterpretation via email when orderign them they  were the wrong size so we had to use them to make some the right size :lol: once we had done that we used to templates to make a bottom body template and utilized the overhead router with a guideing pin on the bottom to cut them into the cap 

warning this is a love or hate part of the guitar i love it but some people think it looks a bit weird as they are different sizes and offset on each side who wants to have a normal guitar though :thumb:

6.png

4.png

3.png

2.png

1.png

Untitled7.png

• Like 1

Finally ready to start fitting it all together and rout the neck pockets in the cap and in the body. we made some more templates and pushed forward you might notice from the pics that the cap is cut in an s shape that is how the end of the neck will be also so we cut it slightly forward from where it needs to be in the cap so we could file it in exactly to shape more on this later 

2.png

Untitled.png

3.png

6.png

1.png

Finally we filed and sanded in the cap so it all fit together tightly exactly where it lined up with the bottom section of the body on the 3 pin system we were using. forgot to take any pictures at this point and got stuck stait into the carving and staining the cap which we then sanded back though again so it just highlights the grain once the paint goes on. the reason we did it at this stage was because the neck is staying as a natural wood Finnish so didnt want to get the stain on the neck.

when we were finnished it was ready to be glued together  :hyper

2.png

8.png

1.png

one thing i forgot to mention was that we routed a channel in the body before glueing for the pickup wires to go trough all that was left when we unclamped was to sand the body so they matched rout the p90's, drill the jack socket in and the stap bottons and the back pickup into the body chamber (so we could get the wires to the pots  then we are ready for the paint and thats where im up to going to keep the colour a surprise though be back in a month when its done with the answer ;) 

1.png

2.png

3.png

8.png

4.png

5.png

6.png

7.png

35 minutes ago, Edw5493 said:

do you think we used enough clamps haha :lol:

2.png

Usually when people ask this, I get counting. <_<

If it were  a solidbody with no chambering, the answer might actually be a "no" on that one! I totally know how to spoil the party....hahaha....

Looking good man. All above board and looking good.

• Like 1

I guess the size of f-holes really depends on how you balance out the design if they're not directly sized for functionality. They should work well here since a few design aspects break the boring norms, If everything balances out, that's what's important.

That is, until the squirrels make their home in the guitar. :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Prostheta said:

Usually when people ask this, I get counting. <_<

If it were  a solidbody with no chambering, the answer might actually be a "no" on that one! I totally know how to spoil the party....hahaha....

Looking good man. All above board and looking good.

I know we couldnt find any more surfaces to clamp it but if I could have I would have we got alot of pressure round the edges and it glued together well so it's all turned out ok :)

41 minutes ago, SIMpleONe89 said:

Looks good but yes I think the f holes are too big. I'm sure it will look good with the finish. 

Yeh it's all a matter of taste the body itself is smaller than normal and I wanted them to be a big feature but I can definately see where your coming from alot of people aren't going to like that there different sizes as well but I love it which is the most important thing :D

35 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

I guess the size of f-holes really depends on how you balance out the design if they're not directly sized for functionality. They should work well here since a few design aspects break the boring norms, If everything balances out, that's what's important.

That is, until the squirrels make their home in the guitar. :D

Haha hope they don't make a home in there :lol::lol::lol: but thanks I think it looks pretty cool :)

33 minutes ago, djobson101 said:

I like the combo of the slanted body shape with asymmetrical f-holes. The lines go nicely with the semi length frets down there too

Thanks man I wanted to keep the shape going through the body the same s line is on the top of the headstock too was going for an offset look 

The further you get.....or the more you show us, the more I love this. Everything about the design works. I'm also a big fan of P-90s.

To quote PaulieMac, I rarely see a guitar I wish I had built. If this one keeps going as it is, it may very well be that one.

SR

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ScottR said:

The further you get.....or the more you show us, the more I love this. Everything about the design works. I'm also a big fan of P-90s.

To quote PaulieMac, I rarely see a guitar I wish I had built. If this one keeps going as it is, it may very well be that one.

SR

thanks i appreciate that its always nice to hear someone else likes my crazy design haha i will make sure to get some more pictures up after i get it painted and the electrics in  and p90's are amazing pickups never really liked the sound of humbuckers. I a big single coil fan! :thumb:  

I prefer original designs or barring that original adaptations of classic designs. Unique is good.:) As long as it is balanced and flows and yours is and does.

Humbuckers have their place....but it's hard to beat the sound of a single coil be it under high attack or gently picked. I seem to always like whatever I used in my last build the best. Currently that is a tele bridge pup and P-90 in the neck. That will be my favorite combination .....until my next build.

SR

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ScottR said:

I prefer original designs or barring that original adaptations of classic designs. Unique is good.:) As long as it is balanced and flows and yours is and does.

Humbuckers have their place....but it's hard to beat the sound of a single coil be it under high attack or gently picked. I seem to always like whatever I used in my last build the best. Currently that is a tele bridge pup and P-90 in the neck. That will be my favorite combination .....until my next build.

SR

That is a quality combo love teles with a p90 in the neck :)

• Like 1