Wet sanding ring shaped spots, HELP! (pics)

Hey I'm working on a project gtr, I'm doing wet sanding and buffing atm.

As this is my first attempt, I have some question regarding how properly wet sanded finish should look like. I'm using 800 grit at the moment, and I can't seem to get the surface of the guitar too look all of the same. There are some dull and shinny spots, rings, that I can't seem to remove. I just want to know if I'm on the right track before I **** things up.

Pls refer to attached img.

Many thanks in advance, any help would be greatly apprecaited

IMG_4290.JPG

IMG_4291.JPG

IMG_4292.JPG

IMG_4293.JPG

I think I have indeed sanded through the finish, as I'm seeing dark residue after wiping.

1. I can't get a hold of nitro here in Shanghai, are there any replacements? 
2. Which area should I apply the clear? Possibly just the area that had being sanded through?
3. I don't need this to look amazing, just good enough. I really don't have time to do this anymore.

Many Thanks!

You have indeed standed through the finish the "rings" are the different layers.  

And I agree with kill unless you are doing some sort of vintage correct or restore job.  Nitro isnt worth the time or effort just to get a fragile subpar finish

I'd disagree however this is neither the time nor the place for a nitro free-for-all.

What was the original clear? Factory or your own? I'd simply degrease and respray whatever you used, then cut back and blend in. I think you'll end up with witness marks though, especially because of it being black. This is a tough repair.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2016 at 2:45 AM, Prostheta said:

I'd disagree however this is neither the time nor the place for a nitro free-for-all.

What was the original clear? Factory or your own? I'd simply degrease and respray whatever you used, then cut back and blend in. I think you'll end up with witness marks though, especially because of it being black. This is a tough repair.

Hey thanks ! The original clear was reranch, but I do not have access to this now as I'm located in CHINA. The finish was done by a builder overseas. 

What did you mean by witness marks? I kind of just want to get this over with, so it doesn't have to look amazing.

Would this work? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tamiya-85013-Tamiya-Spray-Lacquer-TS13-Gloss-Clear-3-oz-/121988015064?hash=item1c670d63d8:g:TFgAAOSwxcRW-uHx

I genuinely do not know. Until you test it, there is always going to be doubt. Witness marks are what happen when you sand through the different layers of paint and clear. The rings are the boundaries between one layer and the next/last.

23 hours ago, Prostheta said:

I genuinely do not know. Until you test it, there is always going to be doubt. Witness marks are what happen when you sand through the different layers of paint and clear. The rings are the boundaries between one layer and the next/last.

Hi, so in your opinion, its unlikely that I will remove the ring marks.. 

thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/22/2016 at 2:28 PM, Prostheta said:

No, it is difficult to know if that paint will adhere to the existing finish. A clear coat will hide witness marks/rings. It is just difficult to know what will stick. Ideally you should use the original, but that will be difficult.

So I should just try spray whatever I have over the surface to see if it reacts with the existing clear finish? Should I sand off the existing clear first then reapply whatever I have, or would it be okay to just apply the clear I have directly over the ring mark?

Thanks again!

I can't give any sort of guarantee what will happen if you spray whatever you have on hand. It might work, it might not. Sanding back the existing clear still doesn't guarantee anything, since the colour coats may react with whatever you spray over the top. I can't recommend one specific method in case something goes wrong you see. At best you might as well scuff the body with 320 grit then shoot whatever clear you have over the entire body. If you only do an area, that will also have a ring mark ("witness mark") of its own.

The problem you have is that you are limited in what you have on hand.