Round 2 - another 7

Hello guys

So it's true. I'm hooked on this guitar building lark. Now the weather is a bit more clement in Wales there's no excuse not to jump in again. Plenty of lessons learned from the first build and cant wait to start making dust again.

This is what I'm shooting for this time

WP_20160509_19_45_31_Pro_zpse2sce3lj.jpg

I'm going to go with a headstock this time while I think on a consistent way to diy string locks that I'm happy with. Plenty of ideas so little time.

WP_20160518_18_48_39_Pro_zps4mnqsjfn.jpg

Specs for this will be a mahogany body/maple top combo. carve top if I hold my nerve. Multiscale double octave neck for which I'm thinking of using a piece of maple which has been hanging around for a while with a Macassar board cut from a billet I inherited from my dad. Lovely billet that gave up 6 boards with enough for acoustic bridges an a couple of headplate veneers.

WP_20160518_18_53_29_Pro_zps5udbgxjr.jpg

I'm still not sure on the carve contours. I've sketched them out as below, but I'll need to think further on them I think.  Also wondering about whether I want to go with natural fax binding, but that thinking just gets me thinking colours and finishes..... That's the XTC blue/red I built hiding in the corner. Best thing I put in the shop to date. Sits quietly under a dust sheet when the dust if flying, but always around at the right moment. Certainly beats trekking back to the house.

WP_20160518_18_57_13_Pro_zps3uhoai7u.jpg

Slowly does it for this one I think. I rushed a couple of things with the last build and ended up with something I wasn't wholly happy with. First things fist - I'm going to make myself templates, a routing bed + sled and a scarf joint jig.

Thanks for reading

Matt

cheers gents.

well I think we've had the fine weather for the year here. I suppose a couple for fine weekends is par for the course.

Pros, I'm going to take you up on that. I don't mind admitting that I'm having a bit of trouble visualising how compound scarfs work. I'm reading and re reading a couple of threads on here, but I think I'm just going to have to dig out some scrap and play about.

The neck blank there has been hanging around for ages. Cant remember what it was originally meant for but really hoping to be able to squeeze two necks out of it. Thinking that's not too much of a task, especially if I can get out of the habit of thinking that 7 is king.

For a compound scarf joint you should have a look thru andrew's (knitroexpress) 2015 or 2016 post, he's got a really awesome setup that looks like it works really well made out of acrylic but it wouldn't be hard to do it out of wood. 

I was just thinking that.

Could i ask what the channels set into the plywood base are for? Is it a way of letting the neck be moved to and from the bit.

With space being at a bit of a premium, I'm thinking of a flat bed with channels let into it to accept either flat rails that can be used to thickness, taper and maybe cut truss rod channels or angled movable sections for cutting scarfs.

I'll sketch out later when my heads together.

• 2 weeks later...

that makes sense Pros.

Well time moves slowly in my neck of the woods. Not much time for building over the last week, but I hope to get a bit of bench time in over the few days.

I built myself a jig for levelling, thicknessing and scarfing necks. Ideas pinched from a few souces and majorly built to last.

WP_20160528_11_52_14_Pro_zpsxbkyaphv.jpg

I've got angled and straight rails to slot into the channels for guiding a sled. Both topped with worktop edging left over form the kitchen we had last year. I've test driven with a pine board and it works a treat. I'm going to build a larger jig for bodies, but will have to think on reinforcing the sled I built to stop any flexing

Build wise I jointed a glued the body today. Must be out of practice as these did not want to joint for some reason.

WP_20160529_16_30_16_Pro_zpstmltxhmh.jpg

Its a real shame the board wasn't just a bit wider. On to the top. I'm now wondering whether to use the flamed ash top Ive got instead of the maple.

WP_20160518_19_12_42_Pro_zps53nt7da1.jpg

Decisions, decisions. Either way time for a bit of down tools.

f7e18349-6743-4823-82cc-03e7720b88dc_zps

• Like 1

Laphroaig 10yo.....I'm an Ardbeg kinda guy myself :-)

Leffe Blonde is great. I love good Belgian ales. Not had any in a while since all the trouble with buying beer from within the EU and importing to Finland. Even though we're EU. :blink:

La Chouffe is a personal favourite of my wife and I, along with Duvel. The mindwiper.

Oban would top the list for me I think but I tend to get a bottle of Laphroaig at Christmas from the folks - this ones still on the go. Don't know what that says about 2016 :unsure:

Do you know we've had so much in/out talk in the UK with this EU referendum thing, but nobody's mentioned the important things like beer. Truth be told though we've got a couple of really good breweries down the road if IPA is your thing.

• Like 1

That's a whole different subject....as a Brit living in Finland, Brexit would mean that my residency might be an issue. I would also no longer qualify for certain things in education, healthcare and even business loans. That's a real issue when it comes to ProjectGuitar.com also....I'm seeking a few thousand to set up a working video/studio/workshop. Beyond immediate concerns, the UK should vote to stay within the EU, but not on the behest of Cameron. Once we've gotten that out of the way, we get back to hanging him.

I got the top for this thing glued yesterday, but on reflection I'm not happy with the join. Betting that a dyed finish will pop any gluelines just as much as any grain so I'm now thinking really hard now on cutting apart and regluing - they're plenty wide enough. Best to sleep on it I think.

507367dc-e80b-446f-9abf-806461488d9d_zps

eeb9d8b9-bdab-47f8-810d-22feb0168432_zps