Starting my Luthier career

DTA

I've play guitar for the passed couple years and I thought it be a cool project to build 1 and if I enjoy it enough I'll turn it into a hobby 

However, I watched a couple YouTube videos and these guys have all these jigs 1 guy had a cnc machine that pretty much gave up all my hopes. Then I found "Building a guitar in my kitchen" which is a very helpful link however I would like to have more than 1 link to rely on.

Another issue I looked at all the wood I would need to build an acoustic guitar and it's expensive I've looked at Stewart Mac Donalds website and Allied Luthiers and I can easily rack up 200+ dollars. 

I would like to keep it around 100 to 150 dollars for my first guitar. Obviously have it look and sound decent, but under 150 to 100 dollars for everything.

-I would like to know various places to buy all my guitar building supplies for under 150 bucks

-I would like to know more than 1 method for various step on building an acoustic guitar.

-I would like to know various jigs and such you guys use that I can build and won't cost a fortune. 

(Remember this is my first guitar)

Thank you for your time and advice in advance

DTA

That's a pretty big challenge you've set for yourself. There are enough hundred dollar challenges out to know that it can be done, but in all honest most of those work because the builders are using leftover parts and wood they already have on hand. Are you looking at acoustics or electrics? You are going to end up with low quality parts at the very least, which doesn't have mean it won't play well, but it probably won't last. It may have very high value as a learning tool. Consider looking at some kits for your first build. The manufactures purchase their parts in bulk and can often resell them in kit form cheaper than you can buy them.

SR

I look at acoustic guitar kits and I can't find to many of them and the 1s I do find are out of my price range 

However, I found lots of electric guitar kits. I might just get 1. Unless any one has a special link that sells acoustic guitar kits 

I would think an entirely self-built acoustic, including purchasing raw timber and all necessary hardware, and assuming you can get access to some of the tools for nothing, for less than $150 woud be quite a challenge. You'd probably use up your budget just buying the hardware - tuners, fretwire, trussrod, bridge pins, nut, saddle, strap buttons.

There are a few companies I'm aware of that do acoustic guitar kits - Martin, Stewmac and LMII - but I reckon you'd struggle to do one for $150 or less. Most appear to be well over $400.

For the super-cheap kit option there's eBay. The acosutic ones are a bit hard to find, but occasionally pop up from time to time. Usually they're offered in a partially-assembled form, where the body and neck are complete, and you need to glue the two together, fit the hardware and apply a finish.

Electric kits are available all over the place for less than $150.

Guitar Fetish seems to be a popular spot to buy low cost/moderate quality hardware and parts (and kits too).

Lmii sells practice sides for bending and a practice wood for the front of the guitar. 

Yes it be nice to have a lasting guitar. However, I need something to gain experience. So when I do spend over 200+ dollars it will be something nice.

In all honesty, unless you have a lot of existing tools and experience you will spend several times that in order to get a reasonable end product. Start with a kit and learn the process from a basic level, then start breaking it down into making the components yourself.

I have picked out a electric guitar kit. It's 140 dollars and comes with everything except the lacquer or dye. Which is fine except I've seen 1 can of lacquer at Stewart mac go for 18 plus dollars so that something I'll have to look into.

I'll let you all know when it's shipping to my place and I hope to keep you all updated on how my build goes.

• 4 weeks later...

Considering when I had an existing workshop for building electric guitars, yet had to spend another couple thousand to buy acoustic specific jigs etc, I don't think your budget is in the realm of reality.

Benders, forms, binding jig all on their own are above you total budget without even combing the cost of them, add postage, then add sound hole cutters and other hand tools and templates and finishing tools, you haven't even purchased timber yet, which again is above your budget.

A good question to ask is what tools do you have available to you already? 

you could make quite a few jigs your self just do a search on the o'l Youtube to get some idea of how to build them. If you're looking for cheap alternatives check amazon you can get pretty cheap parts on there, they may not be the best quality but at least you're not spending an arm and a leg to get your first guitar done. 

As for wood there are some different options check local lumber store or hardwood store depending where you're located. My local Menard's gets figured timbers in quite often so i always go there and rummage through what they have. Take a look at my "home depot challenge" thread for an example. Another option is join some of the guitar building groups on face book often times you'll see builders that have an over supply of timber that theyll sell off pretty cheap. 

This group has a lot of wonderful knowledge! and welcome to this expensive and addictive hobby! ( you cant build JUST ONE)

Jigs are by far your bread and butter. Over the course of many builds, they simplify work and make it more repeatable and reliable. If anything, spend time making jigs rather than building each instrument off the back of temporary ones. That reminds me. I should publish my take on the Myka jig....