2.5itims 2016 builds

It is becoming quite a pain to keep a separate post for each guitar that I have going on so I think I'm am just going to go ahead and do one post for all, it just seems the best way to go with everything I've got going on. 

I will post where I am on each of the builds and just post all of the progress in here. 

So, starting with the walnut/hackberry and ambrosia maple single cut. It's been lacquered and polished all I need to do is buy some conductive paint for the electronics cavities, wire it up and do a final setup, and still order my last 2 e&a tuners if they will ever come off back order. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Double cut, my own design. This one has been quite interesting to do and has had its challenges to say the least, but after lots of thought and consideration I think I've just about got it figured out. 

Magogany body, flamed maple/walnut neck, walnut headstock, purpleheart fretboard 2x4 headstock, my own bridge that I am making, 1vol/1tone 3 way toggle, body will be painted gloss white, will have sperzel purple tuners and I'm going to have the same company that does sperzel' anodizing anodize my bridge and knobs the same color. 

But the hard part was this guitar doesn't have the part that comes out in front of the body to put a neck pocket so I had to bolt on under the neck pickup, I am using tee nuts and bolts to attach the neck, and this body is so thin (1-1/4") that I could only take my neck pickup cavity so deep. I think as long as I go with a dual slug type pickup I should have just enough room. I also had a little mishap with trying to put my bridge pickup in the wrong location (again!!!) so I am in the process of fixing that. 

I also carved the neck and  thicknessed the headstock last night but forgot to take pics. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Thanks dudes!! 

---double cut---

Finished shaping the neck and volute, routed the recess for the cavity cover, drilled and carved the input jack area,  finish sanded the body to 240 and fixed my screwup from the drilling the pickup cavity in the wrong spot. I'm going to drill the holes in my bridge for the saddles tomorrow and then I can get that placed on the guitar and holes drilled for that, as soon as I get that done the body will be ready for pore filling and paint. 

Im going to let my neck sit for a few days to make sure it doesn't move around on me after carving and then I'll radius the fretboard and install the frets, bridge & knobs will be getting sent off to anodizing in Oklahoma City beginning of next week.

This has been going by super fast, honestly I didn't think I could get this far in just a week. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Thank you very much birch! I started building in January and I just can not stop, literally all I do is work, build and sleep. I got the bug bad!! Ive been in production work my whole life so I guess that it transfers over to this also, I just can't let something sit without doing something else. 

• Like 2

---double cut---

Yesterday I got my bridge mounting holes drilled, string holes drilled, drilled the tuner holes and routed the back of the body for my string block. 

Today I got the body grain filled (I hate grain filling with every part of my being), primed and painted the body. I used subarus aspen white mainly because I wanted it white but I also love subarus so I figured it fit. 

Hoping tomorrow I can get the fretboard radiused, fret wire bent and installed and finish sanded so I can start spraying lacquer soon. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Son of a bi**h it is hot today!! Heat index of 115 and absolutely no wind whatsoever. Now that I'm completely drenched I got the fretboard radiused to 12" and finish sanded to 600, I also wiped it down with a little mineral spirits just to see how she looks. I didn't realize it had this grain pattern in it until now.  I really think I like it, gives it a little character. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I completely forgot I had this post, so I will start using it again even tho we are nearing the end of 2016. 

I spent the last couple weeks working on the double cut carve top but I've posted about that one on its post so I won't put that up in here yet. 

I spent yesterday cutting/planing/jointing a body blank for another build I'm starting, it's flamed maple and zebrawood body with a black walnut top. Today I got all of the body glued up and now the top is being glued to the back and set up in clamps.

I also designed a new body style I'm going to try out, I just found out Friday what a tiesco tulip guitar is and I think that that had a lot of influence in this shape of this one.  

tomorrow I will take the body out of the clamps and get the body shape routed out. 

IMG_0088.JPG

IMG_0094.JPG

IMG_0093.JPG

The lady decided she only wanted to watch 1 movie tonight so I got some more free time in the shop!!

got the body out of clamps and cut the excess off with the saw and got the body shape routed out. I got a new router bit and let me say I didn't even realize how bad my old one was until using a new one again. 

Anyways, here's some pics!

IMG_0100.JPG

IMG_0102.JPG

IMG_0115.JPG

Thanks Andy! I think I will be doing more multi laminate backs from here on, it takes a bit more work but I think it breaks up the back really well, and also it allows me to use cut offs that normally wouldn't be wide enough for a body, which means I can get more bodies together with spending less money so it's a win!

Small Update on the maple/zebra/walnut guitar:

today I got my strips of flamed maple and walnut for the neck cut up, jointed and glued up. In the morning I'll get it out of the clamps and run it thru the planer to get it to final thickness. I have a really nice piece of flamed maple I've had set aside for a while that I will use for the headstock so after I get everything planed I will go ahead and cut my 12* scarf joint and get that glued up. 

IMG_0147.JPG

Also, I posted a pick of my flamed maple double cut I'm building on facebook last week.  and I had a guy contact me that has a prs ce24 neck and tremolo but no body so we talked over what he is wanting and agreed upon a price so he put down a deposit yesterday for me to build him a body.

I came across this really cool guy local to me who is a hardwood distributor who only deals with kiln dried stuff, I text him and ask him if he has something and if he does he loads all of that type of wood he has and meets me so I can pick thru what I want. I bought that walnut for the top of the other guitar from him and was happy so I asked him if he had some mahogany, he had this really nice piece of 8/4 ribbon sapele so we met up and I looked it over and bought it from him, he has really competitive pricing and it's really convenient meeting up where ever I'm at so I think I'll be using him more often. 

Well anyways, after that extremely long story I got the board home and cut up a body blank, tomorrow I will get it jointed, planed to thickness and glued up.the guy who I'm building this for is sending me the neck and tremolo and it's in the mail so progress might be a little slow till they get here. 

Pretty much what he wants is a prs shape body, natural back with a gloss black top. Easy enough!

IMG_0139.JPG

IMG_0140.JPG

IMG_0146.JPG

I have had a pretty productive day in the shop so far!! I got the neck blank for the maple/zebra/walnut guitar planed down to thickness, cut my scarf joint on my neck and headstock blank and got it gluing up over night. 

on the sapele prs body build I got the body blank pieces jointed and glued up, and also got the body shape cut out and routed to the final shape. I learned a valuable lesson today and that is I NEED A BANDSAW!!!! I cut the body shape out with my jigsaw and came within .02 of an inch to my body line, it was a really close call but luckily I was able to clean it up. I also went to low with my router so the nut for the collet burned on the body, luckily it's very minimal so I will be able to sand it out easily. 

IMG_0164.JPG

IMG_0156.JPG

IMG_0161.JPG

IMG_0162.JPG

Some of you may have remembered me talking about trying to modify a low profile truss rod to accept a spoke wheel adjustment nut for the semi hollow tele build, well after trying a few different things there was just no way that I could figure  out a way  so i broke down and bought a stewmac hot rod truss rod that already had a spoke wheel on it. I had already routed the truss rod Chanel for the low pro truss rod which is .250 wide and .375 deep, the hot rod is .220 wide and .440 deep so I had to cut the channel deeper which I did with my table router. Then I had to figure out what I was gonna do about the channel being to wide so I put the truss rod in the slot and wedged 2 pieces of wood veneer next to the rod, it's in there nice and snug now. 

I also got the fretboard glued on and the taper in the neck routed out, the headstock shape is routed and the Purple Heart for the back of the headstock is drying up right now. 

IMG_0168.JPG

IMG_0169.JPG

IMG_0171.JPG

IMG_0173.JPG

IMG_0175.JPG

I had some time this morning to work on the tele before going to family's for thanksgiving things. 

The headstock did not quite go as planned. I totally screwed up with thicknessing it and didn't cut it even at all and went way to thin on the treble side of the headstock. The side that the tuners will go on is a good .580 thick all the way across but the other side got cut to .375 thick at the lowest point. I knew there was no way I could scrap this neck because I would probably never find another Birdseye fretboard like this and I really didn't wanna lose it. So I got creative on the backside of the headstock and the gouge, chisel, rasp and sand paper got some work time. It still needs some work with refining the lines but overall I'm happy with it and it's a bit different from the norm. 

My only concern is that part of the headstock only being 3/8" thick and worry that it won't be strong enough, but I know that some of the newer styles have some crazy designed headstocks that only have wood where the tuners are so maybe it shouldn't be a problem. Thoughts?

i also got the heel end of the neck cut to length and cut my spoke wheel access in the fretboard. 

IMG_0178.JPG

IMG_0179.JPG