2.5itims 2016 builds

And once I got that where I was happy with it I went outside because I needed more double sided tape, as I was pulling away ups pulled up and delivered the neck and hardware for the prs body build. So that took up the rest of my day, I got the neck pocket cut with a 2* angle and got the tremolo mounting holes drilled and threaded and got the cavity routed.

Tomorrow I am going to plane .300" off the back of the body, I didn't realize the heel on prs's bolt ons are so much thinner than there set necks so the body between the back and bottom of the pocket is way to thick, after I get that done I will route the control cavity and claw/spring cavity, then I can start on the top carve. 

IMG_0210.JPG

IMG_0211.JPG

IMG_0212.JPG

IMG_0214.JPG

Well it wasn't carved yet zoltar haha.

i have spent the entire day in the shop today, I did a little work on the tele neck but don't have anything to show on that yet. 

Worked most of the day on the carve top, got the spring cavity and control cavity routed, pickup cavities routed and got my carve started. I decided to try it a little different this time from last time, this time I started with routing the final depth on the sides and then cut the bulk of the wood off with the grinder and then finish carved with the palm gouge and cabinet scrapers. I really liked this way of doing it and I think it will be my usual but I don't like that I routed the final depth to 3/8" into the top, I think next time I will go to about 1/8" and it should work out better. 

Tomorrow I should be able to get the carve around the horns done And the control recess carve done and get it finish sanded and ready for paint. 

IMG_0228.JPG

IMG_0231.JPG

IMG_0232.JPG

IMG_0237.JPG

IMG_0235.JPG

IMG_0242.JPG

IMG_0243.JPG

IMG_0245.JPG

Top carve is all done, control recesses are done, belly carve is done, control cavity is takin to depth, input jack hole is drilled, strap buttons have been drilled and back of the body has been rounded over. 

Tomorrow I need to cut the cavity cover recesses and drill the holes for the neck mounting screws and it will be ready for paint. 

IMG_0263.JPG

IMG_0264.JPG

IMG_0266.JPG

IMG_0269.JPG

IMG_0270.JPG

IMG_0271.JPG

40 minutes ago, ScottR said:

Yep, that looks like a PRS. It looks like there is some mild figure in the top.

SR

yeah there is just a hint of figure in the top around the control area that you can see if the light hits it just right. It's a shame the paint will cover it up, I should have planned it out to where that would have been on the back of the body. 

Mr natural, I agree! I really wish I could just spray nitro and be done with it because I love the ribbon in the sapele but the guy wants black so I've gotta do it. Either way it should turn out looking good I think. 

I got the body finish sanded and grain filled tonight, tomorrow I will go ahead and get the primer and color coat on it. 

IMG_0301.JPG

IMG_0302.JPG

IMG_0303.JPG

Also as I have been working on the prs body I have been slowly working on this tele neck, I trued up the heel and laminated up some purpleheart/maple/Purple Heart, glued it up to the heel and finished the neck carve. The neck still needs a little refining but I've just about got it done, I am going to do a little carving on the body to tie in the carving of the laminates but I am really liking how this is turning out. 

IMG_0304.JPG

IMG_0305.JPG

• Like 1

On 11/30/2016 at 8:33 AM, Skyjerk said:

Thanks skyjerk! I do believe I'm starting to get the hang of this carving thing and having a blast doing it. 

Yesterday I was able to get the primer sprayed on the prs body and today I got the black color coats sprayed, I am pretty dang happy with how this thing turned out. Now just hoping for some warm weather (fingers crossed) to spray the nitro. 

I don't really have and pics of this stuff but as for the flamed maple/zebrawood/walnut guitar I got the truss rod in yesterday and was able to get the neck blank I've had made up for months scarf jointed and truss rod slot routed.

I picked up some quartesawn zebrawood and Birdseye maple for fretboards from my new wood supplier, all he had was 3/4" thick stuff so he resawed me 48" of each to .250 so 8 linear feet of each, I've got plenty for a while lol. I am using some of the zebrawood on this guitar so got the fretboard slotted and glued up to the neckblank, tomorrow I'll cut the neck taper and headstock shape. 

IMG_0310.JPG

IMG_0341.JPG

IMG_0342.JPG

I've also got this gorgeous piece of quilted maple for a top on it's way right now. IM taking some of my sapele up to work tomorrow to joint it and plane it down to 1-1/4" thick to get ready for the top. 

I see a ninja turtle right in the middle of this top so it may be getting a yellow shell and green body, (yellow middle with a green burst). We will see

IMG_0286.PNG

6 hours ago, 2.5itim said:

I've also got this gorgeous piece of quilted maple for a top on it's way right now. IM taking some of my sapele up to work tomorrow to joint it and plane it down to 1-1/4" thick to get ready for the top. 

I see a ninja turtle right in the middle of this top so it may be getting a yellow shell and green body, (yellow middle with a green burst). We will see

IMG_0286.PNG

Ooh - that's a beauty!

Walnut/zebrawood/flamedmaple update:

so I got the neck/fretboard out of the clamps last night, cut the taper on the neck and cut out the headstock shape. Today I was able to get the neck pocket routed and get the top carved. I am really happy with how the carve turned out, it's a bit different and I ended up taking the sides of the body pretty thin (.400") and the body was already really thin to begin with so it just feels all the thinner. 

Heres some pics!

IMG_0365.JPG

IMG_0360.JPG

IMG_0364.JPG

Prs body sortof update:

I went to scrape the edges on the prs body to get a nice crisp line at the edge of the black and realized I screwed up by using a white primer coat, after I got the edges scraped you could see white at the edge and that wasn't going to work so I had to sand the top down. I think I'm going to have to spray a coat of shellac as the primer instead. 

IMG_0368.JPG

Walnut/zebrawood/flamed maple update: 

i got the neck mounting holes drilled with neck mounting ferrules so it's all one piece now, also got the headstock thicknessed, tuner holes drilled and the volute carved out. 

I'm still trying to decide if I want to go my normal route with the hipshot style fixed bridge or go with a recessed tom this time.

i also screwed up on my fretboard, I didn't realize I should have kept the end of the fretboard square and just rounded the ends on the neck so I took to much off at the ends of the 24th fret so neither of the e strings will be usable on that fret. I'm thinking I'm going to round the end of the fretboard over there to get rid of that slot and just have a 23 fret guitar. 

IMG_0372.JPG

IMG_0375.JPG

IMG_0374.JPG

IMG_0376.JPG