2.5itims 2016 builds

in preparation on getting ready to build the sg for Chris I went and bought a dremel, plunge router base and a bunch of bits for it today. I want to do a big arrow down the fretboard since one of his most populous songs is called arrows, this is just a rough test to kind of get used to doing inlays, I didn't take my time cutting them out and it's not glued in so you can see slight gaps but all together I'm super happy with it, I sent these pics to Chris and he loves the idea so I'm going to press on. 

When I do the actual inlay I will use rose wood for the shaft instead of mahogany and do a mother of pearl arrowhead, I can't wait to see how it turns out on the roasted maple Birdseye fretboard. 

IMG_0680.JPG

IMG_0683.JPG

IMG_0684.JPG

• Like 1

Walnut/zebrawood/flamed maple update:

my arête logo has a mountin top as the accent on the ê so I made up a mountain top in he same shape out of walnut and laminated it into the headstock. I need to find a smaller bit because I had to do way to much with an exacto knife but I think it turned out pretty well. 

I also got the body finish sanded and a coat of odies oil applied, it's going to hang over night and I'll buff it out tomorrow. 

IMG_0707.JPG

IMG_0709.JPG

IMG_0710.JPG

IMG_0715.JPG

IMG_0719.JPG

IMG_0717.JPG

IMG_0718.JPG

36 minutes ago, ScottR said:

What the heck happened to your fretboard?

SR

The supplier  that I got the zebrawood from recut the 1" thick blank for me to fretboard thicknesses and he had really bad tear out problems on the planer. Luckily I told him I needed it .312" thick instead of the normal .25" thickness I usually use so I have a lot of material left to sand it out when I radius it. 

Walnut/zebrawood/flamed maple update: 

the oil has been buffed off the body, I'm really liking this stuff so far it has a nice matte sheen to it. I was somewhat expecting it to have a build up of sorts but it still feels like regular ole wood, it feels really natural. 

As for the fretboard it has now been radiused, all of the tear out has been sanded down. I really need to come up with a better way to radius my fretboards, with my sanding block method I always seem to get the edges rounded over to much on the heel end of the neck and I'm not sure why, I may be making a jig similar to skyjerk next month. 

IMG_0724.JPG

IMG_0726.JPG

IMG_0728.JPG

IMG_0729.JPG

IMG_0730.JPG

IMG_0744.JPG

Edited by 2.5itim
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Skyjerk said:

WOW!

That is a super sweet looking body! Seriously! I love that thing!

the way the top is beveled to reveal the back wood is just gorgeous and it flows! Nice carving :)

Thank you very man I appreciate it! When I originally started this build I didn't plan to take the carve near that deep but the farther I got in the better and better it got! This has definitely become one of my favorite body styles I'm making right now. 

38 minutes ago, ScottR said:

Flatsawn zebrawood rocks! It should be done much more often.

SR

Scott I completely agree, total pain in the a** to work with but it sure looks amazing. I've really had a hard time finding it so I asked one of my new suppliers to keep an eye out. He texted me last night and said he picked up 200 board foot so I'm gonna go take a look for some more next week. 

IMG_0747.PNG

Oh man that is gorgeous!! Is that quarter sawn and then when you carved it did that? I have been trying to figure out how to make a neck out of flat sawn but every piece I get moves around a lot so have been to afraid to try. If that's quarter sawn that would be perfect for what ive had seen in a head. 

17 hours ago, 2.5itim said:

Oh man that is gorgeous!! Is that quarter sawn and then when you carved it did that? I have been trying to figure out how to make a neck out of flat sawn but every piece I get moves around a lot so have been to afraid to try. If that's quarter sawn that would be perfect for what ive had seen in a head. 

Yeah, that is quartersawn, and the carve created a flatsawn area.

If you have flatsawn wood that is moving and you want to use it for a neck cut it in strips wide enough to equal the thickness of your normal neck blank. Glue them together face to face in alternating directions and you get a stable quartersawn neck blank. Every flatsawn board has quartersawn edges.

SR

31 minutes ago, Original said:

Nice carve! I've always loved walnut and maple together.

How thick is the body on this one?

Thanks John! I do too, there's just something that looks so elegant when they are together. 

This one is 1.312, I have a guy that wants me to make him one exactly the same but he wants an evertune so it's gonna have to be really thick, not sure how that's gonna work out yet.