Question about Finish

SO I'm a newbie to this guitar making world. I'll be starting up here soon. My daughter wants to make a guitar as well. She wants to make a Dr Who themed one since that is her favorite show. Okay now the question. If I print out a picture like the one below is there a way to get it on the guitar and clear coated over it? Has anyone tried anything like this or have an idea to make this work?

Doctor-Who-poster-tennant-raggedyfan-600

Yep, that's a pretty easy job. I think you'll want to try and get ahold of a far higher resolution version of the image though. The first stage of clearcoating is to seal the picture with light dust coats (hold the gun/can further back than normal) so that the solvents in the clear don't interfere with the inks. Once sealed, clear away as normal.

In many ways it will be similar to the process of applying a material finish to a guitar, except that you do not need to fill up any voids in the fabric.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Prostheta said:

Yep, that's a pretty easy job. I think you'll want to try and get ahold of a far higher resolution version of the image though. The first stage of clearcoating is to seal the picture with light dust coats (hold the gun/can further back than normal) so that the solvents in the clear don't interfere with the inks. Once sealed, clear away as normal.

In many ways it will be similar to the process of applying a material finish to a guitar, except that you do not need to fill up any voids in the fabric.

I'm thinking the guitar would be painted the dark blue.. So you would just glue the picture to the guitar? Then spray the clear coat?

Pretty much. The real work is in how you transition from the photo the "actual" finish. This is relatively similar:

http://www.projectguitar.com/tutorials/finishingrefinishing/material-finishes-r30/

The trick is in how you create a seamless transition. That uses a fine burst to disguise the material-to-body link.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, iamzelix said:

I'm thinking the guitar would be painted the dark blue.. So you would just glue the picture to the guitar? Then spray the clear coat?

Another option is to get it digitally printed on adhesive backed vinyl and apply that and continue as Prostheta says. I'm sure you've seen "wrapped " vehicles around, they're everywhere. It would be the same process.

SR

I'm sure that other people know more about this than myself, however some inks within the process are more prone to UV degradation than others....it might be that some clears have UV protection built in or as an incidental property?

If the image you use has a border with a uniform colour, you can probably get that matched up at an auto paint supplier. I think PPG Maalit here in Pori are able to scan a colour and formulate paint off that. This way you can lightly add a blended transition between paint and applied photo.