Guitar Of The Month - July 2016

Welcome to the Guitar Of The Month entries for July 2016!

ProjectGuitar.com's Guitar Of The Month contest is a showcase for members to exhibit their creations and to vote on their favourites. The contest is open entry for any and all members, new or old. Winner(s) receive a featured article at the head of the ProjectGuitar.com homepage, a photo posting to our Facebook and elevated member status. ProjectGuitar.com receives tens of thousands of unique visitors monthly; Guitar Of The Month is a great way to showcase your creation to the world!

Submissions are open throughout the month until about the last week when public voting opens. Polls close on the 1st of each month.

Lastly, if you didn't win a previous month's Guitar Of The Month contest, you are encouraged to enter your build again the next month for a maximum of three consecutive months. Sometimes one entry just hits it out of the park!

Tips and Guidelines

• Upload a maximum of eight photos for the instrument in your post
  • Ensure that your guitar has a name otherwise we'll make one up ;-)
  • List additional descriptive information specific to the build; for example....
    • The woods and materials used, especially if there is something unusual in there!
    • Scale length(s) and other specific configuration details
    • Electronics, pickups, etc.
    • Is this your first build, fifth or five-hundredth?
    • A bit of information on your own background as a builder helps give context to your build.
    • Was it built in the garage, at school, work or in your own shop?
    • A summary of the build's history. Was it built for yourself, friend/family or a client? Did you design the instrument and its specifications or was it built to spec?
    • What were the inspirations behind the instrument and why were various build aspects chosen?
    • Any background on what makes it special?
  • Posting a link to your guitar-building website, Photobucket, Facebook, etc. is fine, even if it is your business. In the spirit of fairness we encourage instruments made by professional builders to have that disclosure made so there is a more even balance between weekend warriors and grizzled veterans.
  • If you documented your build in the forums, post a link to the thread! Instruments with a build thread shared tend to attract more votes from the general community.
  • ProTip: Voters vote with their ears as well as their eyes....if you have any soundclips of the instrument or even a YouTube video, do post it! Everybody loves to look at beautiful instruments, but hearing them demo'ed is 10x as important.

Unsure what to write? Have a look around the entry archives for suggestions.

If you have any questions about the contest, either PM me or ask forum members; we're a helpful bunch!

This thread is exclusively for entry posts only - any post that is not an entry will be deleted. We love to hear your discussions and opinions on the month's entries whilst the polls are open. Alternatively, head over to that instrument's build thread if one has been made in the entry post.

Good luck to all entrants!

:crowdwaits:

Hi!
I'm Mike Boroducci from Axim Guitars (Russia).
We make handmade instruments for our customers and free sale too.
It is our first experience in bass guitar building.
Axim custom JazzBass was made for our customer who want а guitar with modern look and based on classic Fender jazz bass shape.
He is very happy with his new bass and  results of our work.
Specs;
body - ash
neck - bolt-on 7ply maple/sapele/wenge, 34", 24 Jescar SS frets, block inlays, rosewood fretboard
Fokin classic jazz bass pickups set
Gotoh hardware
oil finish

12NZQXDhIs0.jpg

bPqxxvlUbew.jpg

Cbj08Q_DnB4.jpg

EWGQ5KGj9tc.jpg

KjH4sN78KUQ.jpg

XHuIjgBDlFs.jpg

z0nEg5UWhBI.jpg

• Like 1

I'll throw my hat into the ring with my first ever guitar build.

The build thread is here:                  My first full build from scratch               

I decided to build a guitar as my entry into the world of working with wood. I have worked with metal most of my life modifying cars for myself and friends. Wood is a new medium for me and through this guitar I have discovered I really enjoy working with it. I have turned my garage into a fairly well appointed small budget wood shop, where most of the work takes place. Anyway, on to the guitar, which I have dubbed "Slowburn"

Neck:

•  1 piece Flamed Maple Set neck through the back
  • 25" scale, 24 fret Flamed Maple fretboard with Zero fret using Stewmac medium fretwork and wheel adjust truss rod
  • Paduk head stock veneer
  • Sperzal Nickel Locking tuners

Body:

• Chambered Mahogany, Padkuk and Birch veneer back
  • Carved Paduk cap with flame shaped F-hole, chambered to match the back
  • Ebony Pickup ring

Electronics:

• Lace Alumitone Deathbucker in bridge position
  • 1 Volume, 1 Spin-o-split coil splitting pot, 1 Push/Push Hi-cut, Lo-cut Tone pot
  • Tele style jack

Hardware:

• Graphtech Nickel Wraparound bridge
  • Knurled Chrome knobs

IMG_2107.JPG

IMG_0620.JPG

IMG_1818.JPG

IMG_2111.JPG

IMG_2112.JPG

IMG_2115.JPG

IMG_2116.JPG

IMG_2119.JPG

• Like 1

I'm a small time builder in south florida

Here is my guitar of the month....

ALL HAND MADE.

The dice guitar

alder body/maple neck

suhr/dimarzio pups

wilkinson trem

grover thumbwheel locking tuners

graphtech nut

www.funkguitarsusa.com

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Edited by funkymann1
  • Like 1

Hi, my name is Wesley from Veruc Handmade, I’m from Brazil, this is my first guitar, this work made me accept to Veruc luthier, and won a place in your luthiery , I hope you like too. Sorry for my poor English!

The most dedicated Instrumentalists and why not, the devotees of guitars and luthiery professionals, this guitar was made to a high standard of quality and designed by the great Brazilian luthier Lucio Oliveira Luthier Veruc, making it a Custom HandMade guitar . Among the plans that came from my mind to this guitar, I decided to join the mahogany sustain with pickups Best Seller of Malagoli (Brazilian brand), the HH777 with its clean and defined tone, giving a unique texture to the sound of this machine.

Neck:

1 piece Flamed Maple, Bolt On

25,5" scale, 24 fret Ebony fret board using a medium fret (Sanko) and wheel adjust   truss rod

Body:

Brazilian Mahogany, Acacia Top and Flamed veneer

Pau Brasil on Back Cover

Electronics:

HH777 Set by Malagoli (Brazilian Brand), Bridge and Neck

1 Volume, 1 Tone, 3 way switch

Jack End Pin

Hardware:

Schaller FR bridge

Sperzal Locking tuners

Chrome knobs

13579728_1091800977579937_822520220_o.jpg

13588688_1091800717579963_726352217_o.jpg

13616344_1091801027579932_1535399702_o.jpg

13621716_1091800990913269_1017611906_o.jpg

13621781_1091801017579933_878242211_o.jpg

• Like 1

Blue 7

Hi! This is a seven string so tuned down to G which was originally going to be an 8 string but the dude who asked me to make her changed his mind. He preferred 7. I’m talking about changing his mind when I was more than half way thru, but it was possible. You can see the build here http://www.projectguitar.com/forums/topic/48439-7-8-string-axes/

Neck

Three piece neck thru; Cedar-Chen Chen-Cedar

Fanned Stewmac Jumbo frets; 28.5”-25.5”

Rosewood fingerboard

Headstock; 8 degree fall away, Palo Escrito veneer

Inlay; glow in the dark

Body

Woods; Caoba Blanca (white mahogany) wings, Palo Escrito top.

Bridge; Fanned Fret Innovations individual bridges.

Finish; Sherwin Williams blue dye & Polyurethane

Electronics

Pickups; Lace Alumitone Deathbuckers

Pots; CTS

Jack; Switchcraft

image_191.jpeg

image_190.jpeg

image_186.jpeg

image_188.jpeg

image_187.jpeg

image_189.jpeg

Edited by Guitaraxz
pics
  • Like 1

Ssaber

2 piece alder body jointed with a mahogany veneer, overall thickness 12mm at the edge, 47mm in the middle

3 piece anigre/sapeli neck, set in under the neck pickup, neck joint carved for full 24 fret access

polygonal neck profile, 12° headstock angle, zebrano fretboard, side dots filled with home-mixed fluorescent epoxy

Shellac finish

Ibanez ZR tremolo, Gotoh hardware, Duncan/Ibanez pickups (TB-6, SH-2), "screwless" switch mounting

This is my third complete guitar build, I am a hobby builder, did it for myself. It took 2 months to build, usually weekends. I like Ibanez guitars, this one is mostly an "S" body outline and contours with a few refinements (horns and headstock should come from similar curves). S models are traditionally 22 fret and bolt-on, I wanted it more modern. It is my first set neck. I am happy with the result, plays nicely, though the edgy neck profile is not as comfortable as I expected. Sounds awsome.

Build thread: http://www.projectguitar.com/forums/topic/48164-ibanez-rg-my-2nd-build/?do=findComment&comment=552358

Build gallery: http://kmensik.rajce.idnes.cz/DIY_SV#

P1430529.JPG

P1430531.JPG

P1430536.JPG

P1430538.JPG

P1430543.JPG

P1430545.JPG

• Like 2

Walnut Memorial Strat

It's been a few years since I've submitted a GOTM candidate. It's been a few years since I've completed a guitar, for that matter. Life sometimes gets in the way. In any event, here's an instrument I (finally) just finished last weekend. This one is my 15th instrument.

In February of 2012 my father passed away. Before he passed, he gave me some special wood. This wood was from a walnut tree that grew on the family farm where my father was raised. He grew up playing in this tree. Later when the tree had reached the end of its life, my father cut the tree down. When he passed away, at his request I built him a cremation urn from this tree to hold his ashes.

After the urn was finished, I had a bunch of the scrap pieces and off-cuts left over. None of them alone were large enough to be very useful. However given the nature of where the wood originated, I didn't want to just throw them in the scrap bucket or the burn pile.

So I concocted an idea: I would take the little pieces of scrap and glue them together into larger pieces. From those larger pieces I could plane and joint stock in sizes useable enough to build a guitar. This guitar would be my tribute to my father. Rather than just an heirloom object that would sit on a shelf somewhere, this could be something I could use in a way that would be a fitting tribute to my dad's legacy.

In addition to the wood being special, I decided to take my memorial instrument one step further. Under the pickguard there is a compartment that holds some of my father's ashes. It's a way to keep a little bit of my dad near me. You may find this touching or you may find this creepy. I haven't fully decided myself which it is. But it felt like something I needed to do, so it is what it is.

I started building this guitar in late February of 2012. A few months later at the beginning of May 2012, my mom also passed away. For a variety of reasons the guitar project ended up getting placed on a shelf for about four years. A couple months ago I decided it was time to pull it out of the closet and finish it.

I did a full documentation of my build on my web site: Building The Walnut Memorial Strat. There's also some pages on my site covering the build of the above mentioned cremation urn, in case you're interested in seeing that as well.

Here's an overview of the specs:

• Neck Type: Bolt-on
  • Neck Wood: Walnut from the scraps of my dad's cremation urn.
  • Truss Rod: Dual action
  • Neck Reinforcement: Two carbon fiber rods
  • Headstock: Fender-esque flat style (non-angled)
  • Tuners: Sperzel style locking
  • Nut: Bone
  • Body Wood: Walnut from the scraps of my dad's cremation urn.
  • Body Features: Standard Strat shape, forearm contour, rear belly cutaway.
  • Fretboard: Cocobolo, 10" radius
  • Scale Length: 25.5"
  • Pickups: GFS Premium Vintage Alnico
  • Controls: One volume, two tone, five way pickup switch.
  • Hardware: Chrome
  • Finish: Gloss nitrocellulose lacquer
  • Weight: Ten pound range (guesstimate). Not unbearable, but not a lightweight either.Done001-Small[1].jpgDone002-Small[1].jpgDone003-Small[1].jpgDone005-Small[1].jpgDone008-Small[1].jpgDone009-Small[1].jpgDone013-Small[1].jpgDone014-Small[1].jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...