3rd Build (Orion)

Here's what will be your best friend:

denib.jpg

Take a craft knife and run it at 45° down a screwdriver handle or scraper burnisher. This turns a hook like a scraper. Mark that side with an X. Apply masking tape and viola, you have an instant spot fill denibbing scraper. Works wonderfully. The masking tape is 5,4mils thick so protects and leaves the nibs virtually flat.

Enjoy.

• Like 1

There are days that I want to never build another guitar, EVER. I had several of those days in the last week. While finishing and polishing this one, and being so close to perfection, or my loose version of it, it was one disaster after another. First there were two mystery gashed in the finish of the neck that went all the way to the wood. I tried to sand it out but had to cut through the blue and airbrush repair. It doesn't quite match. Then 2 mystery dents appeared on the top, THEN, the Gotoh 1996 tremolo does NOT fit in a standard Floyd pocket as advertised. It fits but doesn't retain that symmetrical gap around it. so I'm having to plug and re-drill the posts as far forward as possible.

I once finished polishing the lacquer of a build to a brilliant shine and laid it on the bench only to watch the little bastard jump right off and land face down on my concrete garage floor. I had to sand the finish off the top and re-shoot it.

People say that these little setbacks build character.

You and I both know that's a load of crap!:angry:

Hang in there.

SR

See everything as an opportunity. Take from it what you can. Turn a negative into a positive.

Learn to improve your guitar throwing technique.

Joking aside, man that sucks. Does the Gotoh literature say that it will fit into an OFR rout? That's balls right there if so. I hate to say it, but you should never take specs for granted. I've seen some real cockups that have landed people in worse places that you right now.

I get over disappointment pretty quickly. I guess I have always been the problem solver because dwelling on it doesn't change anything. At the same time, there are battles can't be won. This isn't one of them even though I contemplated some Olympic guitar toss action.

image.jpeg

I also chose this path for my shallow pickup route I used to keep as much wood as possible in the neck joint:

image.jpeg