Nash tele - finish to be done

Project guitar

Hello ! Thanks for stopping by ! 

I am building my first electric guitar (thus me being new on projectguitar.com). I will make a review of my build on YouTube or instructables and I'll gladly share it here, but I'm not finished yet! I need your help with the finish. 

This is my thinline/Nashville tele. I would have had loads of photos  to show you but I still haven't figured out the 501 MB file thing for uploading photos....

Here are a few facts about my build : 

It is made out of two mahogany panels (each made of two pieces) glued one on top of the other. The "glue line / separation" shows a lot, and I've had to fix some holes on the sides ; I want to hide them. 

Right now, I have dyed the body brown, sanded it down to give the grain a kick, and I've given it one layer of spray varnish (spray varnish being the closest I could find to spray lacquer) 

I do not have access to spraying equipment, it's all aerosols for me. 

I want to give the body a dark burst on the sides but I realized on some scrap wood that the black paint have doesn't look good with the orange wood at all. 

This is where you can help me : what kind of product and method can I use ? Will it be another type of paint? More dye? Really really dark brown varnish that goes black if I spray it heavily? 

Thanks for reading, I hope someone has advice!