Some toys

komodo

• 9 months later...

Necropost - I just saw this and LOL'd. This is NOT the first time I've been called a cork sniffer. Probably daily. 

"You are SUCH a snob!"

"No, I'm discerning. There's a difference."

FWIW - the TubeScreamer is gone, some person valued it WAY higher than I ever would. Though for the short time I had it, I A/B'd against some other drives and it did have a certain something something. The Drybell is also gone. It's just not something I play with everyday and was a lot of $$. In their place is a Digitech Supernatural and a EHX Pitchfork which I am loving to death.

Tubey thing is a Magnasync Moviola URS film editing amplifier. 5-watt 6AQ5 beast. The circuit is a lot like a Fender Champ and is just one seriously pissed off little thing.

Fantastic! I bet @curtisa would be super interested in that. I'm buying Nina a Marshall DSL5C to go with her SG, and the thought has crossed my mind on a pedal to kick up the front end a bit. They're really nice little amps FWIW, and eminently modifiable. It certainly doesn't have the cool of that little amp though. That is just uber super.

When I first saw it at our universities surplus, I didn't know what it was. I saw the case, the bakelight knob, the gemlike faceted light and the speaker grill. My heart throbbed, I read the backplate that it was a film editor amplifier and all I thought was "there's tubes in there".

$20 and I'm out the door. Later, digging into it, reading about them, and then hearing it . . .  it's mine forever. MINE! MINE! MINE! bwahahahaha

There's a small 4" speaker in there, but it rattles the case like crazy. There's a headphones jack that you can run out to a cabinet (12" Weber Blue Dog in my case) and then it's "holy crap?!"  It reminds me a lot of P90's in amp form. 

Here's a good tour of it. The real fun starts around 2:10

Nice score. Definitely needs the big cab to get the full picture of what these old things can do.

6AQ5 is fundamentally a 6V6 in a miniaturised glass envelope, so it's not surprising that it has close lineage to the Fender Champ. I'd imagine any Champ-esque mods will be perfectly applicable to this little nugget of goodness.

very cool on the movieola

how do you like the Strymon Deco? Of all the multitude of effects that have come out in recent memory-that one has captivated me the most-  I love the sound of that thing- I have always loved tape phase/flange on records of years past-and that little gem seems to be the best of the lot in emulating that sound. i know it can be used for a lot more than that- so- how are you using it?

Great question. I bought it because of similar feelings. I've probably not spent enough time with it, but I can say this - if you are in a band, then it would probably be incredible because it does a whole bunch of things to your sound in subtle ways. You can overdo it and it and then sounds processed.. If you are recording, there are probably lots of ways to get the same thing, and common recording techniques say to record dryer and add effects later. It does a zero through flange fairly well, but the Mr. Black Tunnelworm, or Catalinbread ZeroPoint seem to do it better. I haven't tried those though. 

I'm basically playing by myself, and have realized I'm looking for effects with far weirder and more experimental sounds. So, EHX Pitch Fork pitch shifter, volume pedal, insane reverbs . . .I see a Belle Epoch Deluxe in my near future.

agreed on the Catalinbread- they make some really cool pedals- not sure I have heard the tunnelworm. You didnt mention- and I just looked up and see they are back in production- FoxxRoxx makes a pretty killer (but way too freakin expensive) ZTF called the paradox. there is a video of a guy on you tube doing house burning down and eric johnson I think- and that thing sounds amazing IMHO, this latest version they are producing probably isnt the same - I am sure they quit producing it for so long as they couldnt get a key component. who knows. 

also noticed you mentioned the digitech supernatural- is that the same as the Hardwire supernatural? I remember trying a used one at GC  and the spring and plate reverb on that thing was amazing. 

had to get off my lazy arse and find that video of the (original)  paradox. this video was posted 8 years ago- so- pedals have come a long way.

Supernatural is the Digitech Hardwire Supernatural. Not sure how their Hardwire series is different or why the name addition.

Prostheta- I threw together a strat from a crappy body, an old Charvel strat neck, a set of custom built overwound pups, and some custom wiring - and it;'s now the axe I always reach for. There's just something about it, and the single coils are really amazing in tone.