F-Style Mandolin project

Aakoo

15 hours ago, Prostheta said:

Have you have much opportunity to tune the top or is she done?

I consulted a more senior builder some time back, and he suggested to make the top a bit thinner than in the plans, as the top wood is birch, not spruce, so that is what I did. I chiseled some 1 mm off the top, from the inside. That's about it what I've been doing on the top tuning. I might still take a bit more wood off during the summer months, but let's see. I find the tuning a bit too much of voodoo for me, as I am not very sure, what the end result should be. That said, I guess just trust my gut feeling here :) 

If the top sounds good, then it is good. Everybody has a different gut, so if you're fine with going by that then cool :-D

It seems to me that acoustics are commonly very difficult "to get in the zone" and are often made very conservatively in first builds. Bracing that is too weighty and tops that are too heavy to get moving. I suppose in that respect, you "build your gut". I have certainly built up quite a reasonable one.

• 11 months later...

Long time since last! But the mandolin is finally done! I kind of forgot to update this thread as been busy with my life outside the internet's! 

It took longer than expected, but I'm very pleased with the results. Here below you can find some photos of the instrument and a video of me first time  ever really playing a mandolimandolin.

• Like 3

Thanks for kind words everybody! I am super excited about this instrument!

My musical taste is on the heavier side, and I did not expect to get excited on playing a mandolin, but once I grabbed this thing to my hands and started playing, it felt super natural. Maybe even more natural than the guitar. 

Last night a added a track with mandolin to two songs, we have recorded year or two back. So yes going to use it in a band context. Let's, see if we decide to remix the song with mandolin, or just keep the current version.  Gut feeling is that the mandolin was a bit too much there :)

3 hours ago, Aakoo said:

but once I grabbed this thing to my hands and started playing, it felt super natural. Maybe even more natural than the guitar. 

I know what you mean. It's almost shocking finding out how much fun these are to play the first time you pick one up. Now you need to build an electric version. It will sound much like the acoustic if you like, or crank it up and distort it to feed your heavier side.

SR

• Like 1