New build, makin' it up as I go....

ScottR

2 hours ago, MiKro said:

Looks like a guitar neck? What's with that? I thought you carved little weird Gnome garden critters? LMAO!! 

I know, right? I guess I'm going to have to come up with a body to mount this thing to, before too long.

And Wally still needs a girlfriend. I'm going to have to do something about that before too long as well. I wonder if Wes still has that China Berry log? If not, I've got a nice little piece of ash I'm pretty sure Wally would enjoy.:)

SR

14 hours ago, ScottR said:

China Berry log? If not, I've got a nice little piece of ash I'm pretty sure Wally would enjoy.:)

SR

I know where a Box Elder half trunk about 20" tall and 34" diameter is and it is full of red flame throughout. It's still somewhat green. I'm thinking seriously about buying it from my friend. :)  he wants $20 a bdft. it's  somewhere around 30bdft? He wants $600 for it., Damn thing is frigging heavy

mk

Damn, he's proud of his wood.

I think paying that kind of money to make Wally a girlfriend. would make me a pimp <_< and I'm not going that far for Wally. (insert walnuts joke here).

Seriously, I didn't know box elder had that red flame till Wes should some pics of the ones he cut on his place a couple of years back. That would make some awesome tops.

SR

1 hour ago, ScottR said:

Damn, he's proud of his wood.

I think paying that kind of money to make Wally a girlfriend. would make me a pimp <_< and I'm not going that far for Wally. (insert walnuts joke here).

Seriously, I didn't know box elder had that red flame till Wes should some pics of the ones he cut on his place a couple of years back. That would make some awesome tops.

SR

Yes sir it would, That is why I am considering buying it I would guess that 80% flame is in this piece. by looking at the top and bottom of it. Always a crap shoot though when talking a rough log.  . I figured about 4 to 6 tops maybe depending on shrinkage, checks and cracks.

If it's anything like the neck and headstock, the body will simply morph magically from a solid block of wood, shaking off all the chippings that are not perfectly smooth and beautiful.

Have you chosen yet the block of wood that contains that wonderful object?

Love the look of the neck.  Can't wait.... :)

5 hours ago, ScottR said:

Makin' it up as I go?

<_<

Partially!! It must be the carver in you. You couldn't reasonably approach this style using anything but that. It's a fitting contrast to the kind of approach I use, which is very very deliberate and pre-ordained from the desktop.

• Like 1

The opposite for me. It's like a puzzle where everything has a preceding and subsequent step. If the next one can't be done satisfactorily, work halts until I can figure out how to plant my feet reliably and accurately. Experience has always told me that my half-measures always end up causing more work or writing projects off. I've become a lot better the last few years in that respect though.

The width of the nut and the scale lenght are the only needed measures, basically. Everything else can be here or there, as long you're not making a replica. Maybe that's the reason why I'm not fan of making replicas.

Actually, there's a big difference between making an exact copy of something and doing what you want. I don't think Les Paul took much care of measurements when he designed the first LP.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, psikoT said:

The width of the nut and the scale lenght are the only needed measures, basically. Everything else can be here or there, as long you're not making a replica. Maybe that's the reason why I'm not fan of making replicas.

Actually, there's a big difference between making an exact copy of something and doing what you want. I don't think Les Paul took much care of measurements when he designed the first LP.

Now there's a man that thinks the same way I do. :)

And he makes some damn fine guitars too!

SR

I don't think Les made ANY guitars really. I mean, he spliced together a solid block of wood between two halves of an archtop. As far as making anything from scratch....unsure....wouldn't surprise me though.

The "Les Paul" guitar was more the invention of Ted McCarty than Les himself I think. Ted was also to blame for the Moderne. :mellow: