New build, makin' it up as I go....

ScottR

Well, let's see where I was.......

Oh yeah, out of the clamps and taking the screws out of the top. It seems that jatoba tenons hold screws really well.

IMG_2537.JPG

I had to carve a bit of the pickup cavity by hand to get to what is left of these two.

IMG_2540.JPG

One of them came out and one broke off again and had to be pounded in a bit further. Maybe I'll get some extra mojo out of that.

IMG_2542.JPG

I finished routing pickup cavities, locating the bridge and drilling string holes, then flipped it over and routed the control cavity. and started carving the back.

IMG_2544.JPG

SR

IMG_2546.JPG

After rough carving, basically just removing material, I did some contouring.

IMG_2549.JPG

IMG_2550.JPG

IMG_2552.JPG

That's as far as I want to go till I set the cavity cover. It is cut, but I had a minor chip out routing it to shape. I've got a repair glued in and drying so the back is on hold for now.

SR

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Muzz said:

That is a lovely piece of timber on the top Scott, how long does it take you to chisel the contours into a top like that?

I'm looking forward to seeing that lovely piece of timber all polished up, Muzz. That is about 30 or 40 minutes of carving on the top so far. I'll probably spend 4 to 6 hours rough carving it.

SR

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Excellent detail, Scott, and equally excellent results :thumb:

Just a question on the carving - I'm new to mallet work.  When you use a mallet on that kind of carve, do you secure the workpiece, or just let the friction of the carpet protector hold it?

Cheers Andy!

With the mallet I usually try to get away with out securing it, as I'm constantly turning it one way and another to orient the direction of the cut. The friction held this piece pretty well. When it does move too much when whacked, I'll secure a backstop to the bench and let that prevent the whackee from flying off across the garage.

SR

Is there nothing new under the sun?

Technically those say they are various EMG pickups in a P-90 housing. What I don't know is if the EMG pick-up listed is a P-90ish type pup or just one of their popular models built to fit in a P-90 route.

I find active pick-ups a bit sterile, so have never bothered to learn much about EMGs.

SR

Technically those say they are various EMG pickups in a P-90 housing. What I don't know is if the EMG pick-up listed is a P-90ish type pup or just one of their popular models built to fit in a P-90 route.

Based on how they're described, I'm inclined to think that they're the regular models squished into a P90 box and likely sound the same.

I can understand actives aren't everyone's cup of tea, but there are actives (not necessarily EMGs) out there that don't all sound like mid-80s James Hetfield. The EMG 66/57 set is quite nice, as is the Fishman Fluence.

My take on it is more, "I'm having fun trying these out. I wonder what the next model sounds like?"

Thanks Andy. Actually, the mallet only came into play on the back where there was wholesale material removal needed. The rest is carved with palm gouges, which are much easier to control and can be used to carve closer to the finished target.

And yeah, it' a labor of love.

SR