New build, makin' it up as I go....

ScottR

I myself tried Z-poxy on my last build to see what it was all about. I gotta say it was a love hate type relationship. It fills great and is awesome to shoot finish over, but IMHO its WAY too much work. That being said I have a build started with a punky redwood burl top that will be getting the Z treatment. 

BTW Scott, the build is looking, well interesting. I can't say I'm in love with this one personally but I love the way you build dude. I do really like that F-through-hole you did. Cool as shit. I might have to borrow that idea some day. (If you don't mind of course).

Cheers John!

I will say that this one has a much longer road to travel to arrive at my mental picture of what I expect it to look like. So far it is still on course.

Feel free to have a go at an F-through hole. I've never seen one prior to the one I did a few years back, but I'd be shocked if it's never been done before somewhere. I'd be flattered to see anyone using any of my ideas.......likely more properly stated as the ideas I have used.

SR

• Like 1

Delighted to hear your news, Scott :)

I'm sure the new baby is beautiful and you have achieved a double joy :) - because the new baby in your workshop simply surpasses beauty.

I once sold a veneered bass to a Nepalese buddhist who played in a heavy metal band (niche market).  He told me that he had been 'spiritually drawn to that bass'.  I thought he must be some sort of nutter.  Now, looking at your build, I realise he was utterly sane....

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Nepalese buddhist who played in a heavy metal band (niche market).

And I expect that was very tight niche at that!:D

Thanks for your kind words Andy, I'm glad you like it. That bass side horn's departure from the norm seems to be a tiny bit polarizing...

On the other hand it works quite nicely for me.:)

SR

• 3 weeks later...

Holiday travels are done, the new year has been welcomed in and the oil has cured. I shot some Behlens vinyl sealer and a couple of layers of lacquer and then leveled and scuff sanded.

IMG_2729.JPG

And then shot a tint burst on the back.

IMG_2730.JPG

IMG_2734.JPG

And likewise scuff sanded the front.

IMG_2737.JPG

SR

Well the forum is screwing with me again tonight. It won't show me the cursor and shows me all my pics when posting, but not after the post is submitted. Hopefully they show up after a while.....

Subtle burst on the front.

IMG_2741.JPG

IMG_2742.JPG

I was spraying lacquer and the light caught the back just so....and I shot it.

IMG_2744.JPG

I like little projects to pass the time between lacquer coats. This is some scrap all polished up to micro-mesh 12000 and oiled.

IMG_2747.JPG

SR

I've never dyed myrtle, so I flipped that over and dyed it with multiple sandbacks, and polished up to 12000 and oiled.

IMG_2748.JPG

This thing is just as chatoyant as the other side.

That is not the normal belief so I did another scrap. This was sanded to 400 and dyed. Sanded back with 220 and redyed. Sanded back with 320 and redyed. Sanded back with 400 and then polished through the micromesh grits up to 12000.

IMG_2762.JPG

And then oiled.

IMG_2771.JPG

And here is the reverse side polished up to 12000 and then coated with a thick layer of polyester resin, which was also polished up to 12000, buffed and waxed.

IMG_2776.JPG

SR

6 hours ago, psikoT said:

I like very much the shape of this guitar, and the back carving is stunning... can't wait to see the whole thing. :)

Why did you mask the neck? Is it going to have a different finish? How do you manage the transition?

I like the feel of oiled necks much better than clear coated necks, so yes, it has a different finish. I used to just feather the lacquer out with sandpaper. Then RAD told me he just used some lacquer thinner on a rag and just rubbed / melted the blend in. Works like a champ. I'll see if I can get some pics that details it.

SR