Mickenbacker II - The "Gretschenbacker"

I guess that's what happens when you source wood from a non-luthier supplier. I bought the wood from Northland Forest Products in NH and it is supposed to be kiln dried. I have bought Maple from them before to make necks with and had no issues. I've undertaken an ugly fix and I guess we'll see what happens. Back to work on Monday so no doubt it will sit around for a number of weeks before I have to make a decision on moving forward.

I was trying to work out where the stress is coming from that caused the crack and allowed it to grow when removing material. I wonder, now that I've gone full depth on the hollow-out, whether the pent up force may have been alleviated somewhat. Wishful thinking, maybe.

Anyway, as you can see, barring some clean-up and tweaking, the routing is done. I've removed the temporary pillars that I used for supporting the router, apart from the one behind the bridge, which I hollowed out instead. Not sure what this "chamber" will achieve but it seemed like a good idea at the time. 

I've also routed between the supports for the bridge posts but left the supports themselves at full depth so that they will contact (and be glued to) the back board. Again, no method in the madness, just felt like something I should do.

backroute06.jpg

backroute07.jpg

backroute08.jpg

backroute09.jpg

backroute10.jpg

backroute11.jpg

Edited by Legoheads