BoDiddley Style, New build, first in 2+ years.

MiKro

Hello All,

Well as my health still messes with this old man, it is time to start a new build. Been quite a while since I did that.

My nephew tried to put together parts from GF. UMMM that didn't work out so well. Now I have the XGP neck. It's not bad but it does have some flaws. The tuner holes are not in line the nut is useless and I don't like the head shape.. So I decided to make me a BoDiddley Style Guitar something fun and easy.

Woods will be Body core 1piece Alder, Cap and back still up in the air. Maybe walnut or maple... The head will get an inlay to allow me to bore new tuner holes.. most likely front and back.  Hardtail bridge, Humbuckers with (2) vols and (1) 3way switch..

So it begins. I have most of the cad drawings and rough 3d renders done,. so hopefully this won't take long. I figure maybe 8 to 12 hours at the most on the CNC. That does not include finish. LOL!!

MK

So some pics to see where this is going.

this design is copyrighted.

On 9/13/2016 at 11:17 PM, Prostheta said:

I like how you decided to render a square!

How's the fret work and rod in this GF necks?

The Trussrod is a single and works fine., the frets are medium and are seated well and are tonally correct as this neck was on the halfass build my nephew did and wanted me to fix. SO I made it playable and it intonated with no problem other than the body was a mess. All of the routes on the XGP body he got were off including the neck pocket being off center by about 0.100 The tail stop pulled out of the body due to the use of soft whitewood and he lost interest in it. I gave him a rat strat I had and he's happy...

So I kept the neck and will make me this Bodid.

mk

On 9/14/2016 at 7:49 AM, ScottR said:

Cheers Mike!

You ought to  add forearm relief and a belly carve to the basic Bo Diddly, just to shake things up a bit. You'd end up with the first ergonomic square.:D

SR

Scott, I thought about that but in reality this body is only 7.-3/4" wide and 15- 1/2" long.  Maybe if I build another one larger then that will happen. LOL!!

mk

This Bo Did is more an exercise for me to get off my ass and do something. I always have someone stopping by and need an extra guitar around to play. so this will fill that void.

MK

• Like 2

That "fetish" they are referring to must be masochism then. Funny, because it always tends to be the necks that are fucked up or don't have enough care and attention paid to the important things. I can believe the poor bushing retention thing though. We see that far too much in cheap kits these days.

So today I started the neck inlay. First is setting up a jig

. This was done by inserting  and gluing 3 hardwood post in the spoilboard.based off of a G55 machine offset I set for this job. see pic #1

. I then milled those post to the specific current diameter of the tuner holes..See pic#2

Placing the  neck over these gives me my alignment in reference to a G55 machine offset. that is repeatable, .See Pic #3

The inlay pocket ready to accept the inlay when it is done. The pocket is 0.1875 deep  see Pic#4

Once the inlay is done, then on headshape, surface and mill tuner bores.

MK

• Like 1

OKay I did the inlay and tuner holes and headshape. I used mun eboby for the inlay.

My machine needs a tuneup. LOL!!! It's off some but at this time It's not an issue for me as this is also to check out everything since it has not been run for a while.. There are some bearings that need replacement, they are causing some slop.

Damn I was thinking back when the last time I did a full tear down and clean and maint.on this machine.. It was in 2008. It has more than 3000hours on it since then what with all of the Prototype stuff I was doing on the side. NO wonder it's sloppy. LOL!!.

Oh and for those of you that think a CNC makes things perfect. That is total BS. If the machine is off in anyway it amplifies problems as well as makes minor mistakes  into big ones in a few seconds.  By my not checking certain aspects of my machine throughly, It now has a greater amount of unwanted movement in areas that should not happen. My linear bearings are worn and causing tracking issues that show up as bad cuts and flex effecting the overall accuracy of the machine.. It is very evident in the inlay process as uneven passes in the inlay pocket and the inlay. what should be a 0.004 difference for an interference fit, is up to 0.050 in some places..

• Like 2

Body Blank glued up., using Black walnut for the top over Alder

On a different subject. Lighting.!!    I just replaced my fluorescent light fixtures with LED fixtures.  OMG!! Unbelievable..

I replaced three 4 ft doubles with these.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012ENQPXQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Man these things are great.

MK

2 hours ago, Prostheta said:

Drunken square.

LMAO!! yep done by a drunken old man..  Just had the machine loose steps on the back finish cuts. Dammit. Like I said if not maintained they will bite you in the ass.  now to resurface and do a back glueup to get the thickness. Need to slow down my feedrates for now. It is not liking anything over 150 so my rapids at 200+ are the problem so I need to slow things way down..

mk

1 hour ago, Prostheta said:

Yep. Not the magic bullet that people think they are.

+1

Just another tool that needs to be in good order for consistent work.. Otherwise it's like a dull knife. Because of the missed steps not once but twice. I destroyed a 1/2" Endmill and a  tapered ball endmill, about $120.00 worth. :(

On 9/18/2016 at 8:38 PM, ScottR said:

Slop or not not that headstock inlay is coooool.

SR

Thanks Scott, I think with black hardware it will look really good.. :)

MK

there is a way I can fix the look. If I do a vcarve inlay at the border and and a reverse inlay and glue it in then surface it again it should make a seamless border . :) Will need to think about that. since I am using black walnut for the body maybe use that and then do some mun ebony inlays in the body????

MK

• Like 1

Did some more today. machine is still not right after some adjustments but what the hell this is a shop POS . Will deal with the machine once this is done. The lines are from the need to retram the machine.. Still having some issues with the x axis.as well

Oh well decided to do an inlay in the top. As I didn't like where I put the control holes and decided to move them.

I bet this will be a neck diving SOB

So as you all know I have been chasing my ass on some cuts that have been off about 0.040" Well I fucking found it.  The Brand new 0.5" bit I am using is 0.020  to small 0.480". Damn it, you would think Freud bits would be better than that. Unbelievable that I didn't check it before now. Damn I swear I am getting dumber by the day.. THe obvious and I am missing it?? STUPID STUPID STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!!       ( that's me flogging myself LOL!!  ).

43 minutes ago, KnightroExpress said:

I wouldn't have checked a brand new bit immediately either...glad you got it figured out though!

Thanks, I still feel like a stupid idiot. :)       I know better. Just one of those things that  I forgot in my absence of use of the past few years.. ( I know better, this is not the first time ) Getting older sucks my memory is not quite what is used to be. LOL!!

This one is now marked accordingly and a new tool has been added to the tool database. If I choose to use it and use that definition it will now work correctly.. .

mk

4 hours ago, Prostheta said:

You should ream Freud a new hole....one that is 20 thou larger....

Well I should do that, It may have been me though?? I bought a 1/2" dado slotting bit as I like the flush bottom. I threw away the package. I may have bought the 1/2" ply dado which is correct in being a smaller diameter.. as ply is undersized. either way It is still me that failed. I didn't measure it.

edited to add:: the bit I used is a new one I bought a while back and after measuring a hole and, it is a plywood dado slotting bit and most likely did not mark it at the time. .I most likely bought it to do some cabinet stuff that never happened.

mk

3 hours ago, ScottR said:

The only thing that sucks worse is not getting older.......

SR

Go that right Scott. :)

mk