Kitchen work top Strat my 1st build

meatloaf

21 hours ago, Prostheta said:

Looks good! Rub the rails with a tealight or candle (paraffin wax) and it'll be like butter. Or at least, butter that tastes bad.

Double-sided tape is great for items that will sit flat, otherwise you can use hot melt glue to anchor it to produce a flat surface. Then tape.

Thanks. tea lights why didn't I think of that, I've got loads of those laying about just waiting to be used for something and of course I would't be without double sided tape. I forgot to say that I built this after I read your post about making a  thicknessing jig, seen a lot of these on the  web but yours was the most helpful.

OK I just had to try it out, I've got one piece of mohoany left that I salvaged from an old office that I worked in way back in 1983, managed to pull it out beforet the building was demolished for redevelopement, been kciking around since then. It worked a treat but I think I need a more suitable router bit, suggestions would be more than wecolme.

IMG_0156_zps0nnwt2ky.jpg

That's really nice of you to say. Thanks. I'm gratified that it has helped. I haven't even finished mine simply because I have access to thicknessers, and in many ways I feel a bit bad about that because it's left it partially incomplete information.

Looks like it works really well though. That's the main thing!

My nut came today so after fitting it I put the whole thin together.

IMG_0157_zpsiqqcmktz.jpg

I'm pleased with how it's turned out, did I make mistakes along the way? - of course I did, is it perfect? - no of couse not, can I do better next time? - thats the plan. I've learned a lot during this build mostly from you guys that build some amazing guitars and found the whole experience relaxing and enjoyable. Now I just need to set it up properly and learn how to play - I used to play a bit of folk (badly) way back in the 70's but have never played an electric guitar in my life but as they say " its never too late"

• Like 4

Thing is, the hardest step is getting to the point where the instrument is stringable, tunable and playable. The rest is just cosmetics. Do you think this will be the only instrument you build? I mean, it's a lot of skills to take on and master just to use on one build!

On 19/10/2016 at 7:45 PM, Prostheta said:

Thing is, the hardest step is getting to the point where the instrument is stringable, tunable and playable. The rest is just cosmetics. Do you think this will be the only instrument you build? I mean, it's a lot of skills to take on and master just to use on one build!

TBH I was only going to build one but during the build I found the whole thing quite relaxing even with sharp pointy thing spinning around at high speed and all that noise and dust and when things went wrong enjoyed working round the problems. When I was only a short way into the build I had ideas going round in my head about the next one, I may even try to make my own neck, already been looking on the GW web site looking at tools, just got to decide what I actually need  as opposed  to what I would like. Just got spend some time gutting and refitting my sons bathroom and then I'll be planning my next build.

8 hours ago, meatloaf said:

TBH I was only going to build one but during the build I found the whole thing quite relaxing even with sharp pointy thing spinning around at high speed and all that noise and dust and when things went wrong enjoyed working round the problems. When I was only a short way into the build I had ideas going round in my head about the next one, I may even try to make my own neck, already been looking on the GW web site looking at tools, just got to decide what I actually need  as opposed  to what I would like. Just got spend some time gutting and refitting my sons bathroom and then I'll be planning my next build.

Amazing how relaxing this is, isn't it? For me, at least, there are two big elements that make this so rewarding (besides the obvious of ending up with an instrument made with your own hands). The first is it requires total concentration, which means silencing all of the millions of little things pulling for my attention from the back of my mind. There's no stopping to check a text message or run through my mental to-do list when a router bit is spinning. And the second, which I realized recently, is that this is a rare thing where the outcome is 100% in my control. I decide what to make, I decide how to make it, I decide when it's done. If I don't like it, I can change it, redo it, scrap it. 

Anyway, the guitar looks great. I hope you are enjoying it, playing the hell out of it, and that you make some more. 

There is definitely all of that in making a guitar well. You can spend hours setting up and building jigs for something for what will end up being two minutes of actual work in the wood. When the work emerges perfectly, you know where that time went. To the casual observer, it doesn't have that same effect.

A few weeks ago I completed a small footstool for an armchair I made. The shaping and profiling jigs too far more time than the routing they were designed to enable. Nobody will see that work in the finished item except for myself and my wife, who was the co-conspirator in making the footstool.

Some people make the complex look simple, but that's not as awesome as making the apparently simple a perfect and mindful process. I think we impress a lot of ourselves into our work, and it's a shame that often we are the only people that can truly see that and read beyond the surface ephemera.

Something like that anyway. See it how you want. :D