cnc rebuild

MiKro

Some fresh planed 2x4s now to square the edges. This will be for the new frame/stand. Glued and screwed.  I figure the old base has shake rattled and rolled  enough. Time for something more solid as the first one was not dimensioned and glued :)

base5.jpg

so I am the dumbass again. If you look at the PDF in an earlier post I set a diameter of some bearing pockets to 0.863 Yep that's right It is supposed be 0.868 So I must either make a new set or hone these out. So after all these years of doing this It is the simple shit like this that will come and bite you in the ass.

LMAO! 

MK

1 hour ago, Prostheta said:

Any photos of progress?

I fucked up my back again about 3 days ago, Just getting back to it again. Here is a rough quick look at the z slide I am making. Still a lot to do. Have a lot of drilling and tapping to do on plates and parts before I can start the final assembly of the z axis slide.

MK

zslide1.jpg

2 hours ago, Prostheta said:

Nina and myself have fucked up backs too. It's great fun, isn't it? *hunts for sarcasm button*

Oh Dammit Carl, you and how many damn Taps I will break. SOB!! 2nd damn hole broke a 6-32 tap Fuck It Will make it a 10-32 LOL!!! I heard the damn thing crack and tried to back out. SHIT!!! YOU jinxed my ass. I can't afford to fuck these parts up. First tap I have broken in I don't how long?

mk

23 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

....and there was me asking how many swear words per broken tap.

I fucking BUNCH!!!!!! LMAO!!!! All 16 holes tapped now to 10-32 Nothing broken. :) Now only some 1/4-20 holes then that part will be done.

mk

Z Axis slide basically done. still will need to mount it the Y axis once that is done.

Will most likely have to change it some to even out the height once on the machine. Currently it is set for the lowest it can but not much upwards travel. So that will wait until install. Now that the Z axis is once more, time to get back to building the table base. for the machine.

zxis5b.thumb.jpg.a708e77e4da2892d3937d6215d118b91.jpgzaxis5a.thumb.jpg.f3da6579b8d0d674a169f01cd15befaf.jpgzxis5c.thumb.jpg.2501185ac00dab554a65f76e312afc28.jpg

You should be taking this to the people, Mike. I mean, what is more or less simple to yourself is borderline magic to people who aren't familiar with CNC. Even though there's a crapton of mature forums and sites on homebrew CNC, I'm sure that drilling it down and focusing on pure guitar work has its own requirements. The same questions keep getting asked whenever CNC is brought up, and generally they tend to be out of a lack of good information being out there on the basic level. There's a steep learning curve rather than easy steps up.

Who knows what you might inspire people to do with CNC controlled routers and lasers.

goldfblack-laser[1].jpg

You should be taking this to the people, Mike. I mean, what is more or less simple to yourself is borderline magic to people who aren't familiar with CNC. Even though there's a crapton of mature forums and sites on homebrew CNC, I'm sure that drilling it down and focusing on pure guitar work has its own requirements. The same questions keep getting asked whenever CNC is brought up, and generally they tend to be out of a lack of good information being out there on the basic level. There's a steep learning curve rather than easy steps up.

Who knows what you might inspire people to do with CNC controlled routers and lasers.

597cf5f7dc110_goldfblack-laser1.thumb.jpg.c5d9a975484187e01e27c22032fdaa94.jpg

Not sure what you mean there Carl? Are you referring to design a building your own CNC? If so I will tell you that it is not easy. My original was made by me using an idea taken from a single picture. :)

Well, you've got a lot of mileage on the road with CNCs so between yourself, @verhoevenc and @curtisa I think we have multiple angles to attack that subject. Covering homebrew, whether it be semi-package, complete scratch build, etc. @Mike.Mara is also quite well-versed in this area as are many others. I'd like to see the CNC chat kicked up into a running gear so if moderator or otherwise elevated privileges are required, that can be arranged, I'm sure. Even if it only serves are a repository for builds, progress, maintenance, it provides an excellent resource that people can absorb.

I'm spitballing here Mike. CNC isn't my area of expertise in spite of it being a portion of my degree studies. It's an area that really should have a better focus and people driving it forward. Even you, ya foul-mouther tapbreaker! :lol:

• Haha 1

I'd like to do something more on CNC myself at some point, however I am spread super thin as it stands.

Like I'm Not? I am in the middle of a total remodel on the house. as well as trying to keep my health up. I need my CNC running for some things I am doing in the house. I will be retro fitting a steel floating staircase to what will appear like a built in staircase. Not an easy task. The alternative is to rip it out and build one from scratch. I don't want to have to make the stiles so a retro fit it will be. I will do my best to document that as it will be a task in of itself. That was the need for the Maple and plywood. The ply will become 2 glued up stringers and the risers for the stairs. The maple will be treads, handrails and other trim. :)

Still have the driveway to be redone a complete tear-out and re-pour, hopefully in the next 2 weeks, I have done the pool fixes and re-plastered, also have done new siding, stone and paint on the exterior.  Updated electrical, also foundation repair (38 piers). Started new interior paint and trim also changing lighting to LED. New exterior doors and windows done. Updated AC/Heat, Still have kitchen, and baths to redo. I want to have this done before spring so we can sell and move closer to my kids. Also at current any $$$ I put in I should recover at 150% or greater due to market conditions in my area.  So it is a real positive invest for me. LOL!! I bought this old house in 1985 for $105K have not done much since. built in 1964, new fireplace surround, kitchen cabinets updated plumbing (sewer) from cast iron to PVC. Also all new Appliances. The house across the street is the same as mine, only they updated it a few years ago. Mine recently appraised for $215K due to lack of updates. The house across the street had about $100K in updates done, now is under contract for sale and expected to close soon at $440K.  I am setting my limit of cost to $100K so if the market stands for a year I see a profit in the $150K plus for my investment.  Having been in construction for 14 years, years ago, and my nephew is a contractor, I get very good pricing on work. :)

Well enough of my investment improvement plan. LOL!!

MK

I stand chastened, Mike. :lol:

I would however be more concerned that one of your trees appears to be making a break for it. Yeah, investment building is super time consuming. I didn't realise you were doing improvements to that level....no wonder you're always pissed off!

I stand chastened, Mike. :lol:

I would however be more concerned that one of your trees appears to be making a break for it. Yeah, investment building is super time consuming. I didn't realise you were doing improvements to that level....no wonder you're always pissed off!

LMFAO!!!  That's a specimen Red oak with the split trunk. LOL

16 hours ago, Prostheta said:

Well, you've got a lot of mileage on the road with CNCs so between yourself, @verhoevenc and @curtisa I think we have multiple angles to attack that subject. Covering homebrew, whether it be semi-package, complete scratch build, etc. @Mike.Mara is also quite well-versed in this area as are many others. I'd like to see the CNC chat kicked up into a running gear so if moderator or otherwise elevated privileges are required, that can be arranged, I'm sure. Even if it only serves are a repository for builds, progress, maintenance, it provides an excellent resource that people can absorb.

I'm currently brainstorming the possibility of upgrading my baby 3020 CNC to something a little bit bigger - maybe up to a max of 60 x 40. The idea of recycling some of the components on the existing unit just to get the ball rolling (gantry sides, steppers, spindle mount, spindle, control unit), building a new frame from 30 alu profile, purchasing new ballscrews and upgrading the unsupported bearings to rail sliders is appealing. I've not costed anything yet, but it's probable that it would be cheaper than purchasing the equivalent 6040 unit from Ebay and I'll get a sturdier machine too. I can always beef up the spindle and steppers at a later date if I need the extra grunt and speed. I'll be keen to see whatever work you're currently doing rebuilding yours, @MiKro

@curtisa i get what you are saying, I am increasing the frame size only to allow the new slides added length at this time. I will upgrade my ball screws in length at another point. I would like to get my actual cutting area to be 50" x 38" at the min. currently it will be 38 x 22 it's very workable but at times I need 36 x36 min. :)