cnc rebuild

MiKro

21 hours ago, curtisa said:

Have you got any plans for dust control? I've just added a dust shoe to the spindle and it's made a massive difference to the amount of mess. The added bonus is that I don't have to babysit the machine and follow it around all the time holding a vacuum cleaner nozzle.

I have thought about, I had one years ago and it was a PITA. I also sold my dust collection system a few years back since it was not being used at all, even with my conventional tools. I am rethinking it now, problem is I will want my unit in another area or room so as not to have the noise problem.  I may consider a negative pressure cabinet instead. I don't like the shoes interfering with my clamping methods at times. Not on my priority list at this time, as I ran without one for so long. :)

MK

Damn Curtisa, I forgot how much dust surfacing a spoil board creates. LOL!! Damn MDF.

Here is a quick vid of it surfacing. Came out very nice. Best I have ever made it do. I guess my time tramming and such really payed off. The old version machine would not do this well. I did not run at a higher speed for this and only used a 45% stepover.  :)

Spoil Board Surfacing

As much as anything, I added the dust shoe to mine to minimise chip and dust buildup on the rails. Also saved me trying to devise a way to add concertina bellows to all the rails and the subsequent loss of travel in any direction when the bellows collapse down.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, curtisa said:

As much as anything, I added the dust shoe to mine to minimise chip and dust buildup on the rails. Also saved me trying to devise a way to add concertina bellows to all the rails and the subsequent loss of travel in any direction when the bellows collapse down.

I understand that, One thing I noticed with my upgrade is no witness lines in the spoil board. Having added the ability to really tram this is a wonderful thing. Something I did not really understand 10 years ago when I built the original. :)

At a minimum adding my protective side plates would have controlled a large potion of the dust.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, curtisa said:

Tramming is something I've yet to do on mine. All I've done so far is just set/confirm square on all three axes. I haven't made any deep cuts or used large diameter bits yet that might illustrate I have any superfine adjustments that need to be made.

I will say this, it is way more important than I thought at the beginning, after a few years I tried to get it as close as possible. ( limits of my build) Now it is relatively easy and I know it will make better parts and cuts because of it. :) I did spend $$ on the proper tools to do it though.

F'me, My slow ass just cannot get anything done lately? Between my back pain and sciatica it is proving to be a royal FUCK YOU! Mike.  I am almost done with the limit switches. Making brackets is being a PITA. LOL!!! I'm so close to being done it is not funny anymore. I can't find my 5/16"-18 spiral tap? Really pisses me off, now to order another one. and wait until tomorrow. F'me.

MK

13 minutes ago, curtisa said:

Microswitches or prox probes?

I use micro switches, I have found that they work great for about 6 months then replace. If mounted accordingly they are easy to replace. The accuracy is predictable if you replace them when they become loose. I always pre-load them by a few thousands when at zero. That way they become predictable within less than 0.010". I use an edge finder to do actual zero on parts I need dead on. On wood a few thousands is not a problem. :)

• 2 weeks later...

WhoooHoooo!! I made some test cuts today. All of my time tramming and squaring paid off. A 1" circle is just that. It is off by 0.001" in one diagonal direction. I also cut a 2" square it is corner to corner square within the same 0.001" so my thoughts are I still need to adjust my backlash a small amount. :) 

MK

test1.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, curtisa said:

Chasing perfection much? Make a guitar already! ;):P

It will happen soon, I have to make a set of stringers first for my new staircase I going to build. As far as perfection, if it does the same on larger test then it is backlash and close enough.

mk

56 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

I take it that you solved your resistor conundrum.

Yes Carl I did. I had not changed one parameter that needed to be on not off. LOL!! Then some tweaking and now she stops within 2 seconds tops when at full rpm. Which I most likely will never use that speed. So in normal cutting rpm's it stops in 1 second or less and shows it is in dcb mode. :)

Just a few minor changes now to make as far as some switch locations for power, some under cabinet cable management and I am done.

So I started the shake down this morning, About 30 mins in i had a coupler slip on my X axis. Simple fix, tighten the damn thing back up and use blue loctite on the set screw. DOH!! forgot the loctite on that one. LOL!!! Yep that's what shake down is for, push it and see what fucks up. I don't need that shit happening on expensive wood. :)

mk