DIY PRSE 513 wiring

ace_wheelie

I had a local luthier build me a PRS 513 with a couple mods added to it such as an extra volume and 2 way toggle for a piezo system. I'm trying to wiring it up. The way the 513 works is there are 5 single coil pickups with a 5 way blade switch to switch between bridge, bridge and middle, middle, middle and neck, neck and then a 3 way blade switch that basically turns on and off the inner single coil pick ups of the bridge and neck pickups. the middle position on the 3-way has a diode that basically reduces the output of the inner coils so it sounds like a coil tapped humbucker. So it looks like hum bucker, coil tap, and single coil. My question is if this diagram I create will create this sound. Or will I just shock the crap out of myself hahaha

Screen Shot 2016-10-24 at 3.01.25 PM.png

2 hours ago, ace_wheelie said:

...a 3 way blade switch that basically turns on and off the inner single coil pick ups of the bridge and neck pickups. the middle position on the 3-way has a diode that basically reduces the output of the inner coils so it sounds like a coil tapped humbucker

Close, but not quite. Each coil in the "humbucker pack" is individually tapped, and the 3-way blade selects between:

• Two single coil pickups configured as a standard series-wired humbucker.
  • Two single coil pickups configured as a standard series-wired humbucker, but with each coil tapped for reduced output.
  • One single coil pickup with the other shut off.

There's a brief disussion here about the 513 schematic (with contributions from fellow forum members @verhoevenc and @SwedishLuthier I see), and in the middle of the post there's a diagram from the PRS patent. The scheme requires specially-wound pickups and a 3-way 6-pole switch, neither of which are going to be off-the-shelf parts.

It's not clear from the diagram you've drawn what you're connecting where - there's a lot of detail missing in the connections of all the various components as you've presented them.

The short answer is that you might be able to build something similar to the 513 wiring using, perhaps, stacked single coil humbuckers as a substitute for the custom-wound singles used by PRS, but it will never be a true 513. The 3-position switch is harder - your only option here is probably a rotary switch rather than a blade, although a 6-pole version will be difficult (not impossible) to source. It's potentially a big outlay of cash to buy these components in the hope it will actually work as expected.

The switching between piezo and mag is trivial, and can be accomplished referencing numerous diagrams on the web.

43 minutes ago, curtisa said:

Close, but not quite. Each coil in the "humbucker pack" is individually tapped, and the 3-way blade selects between:

• Two single coil pickups configured as a standard series-wired humbucker.
  • Two single coil pickups configured as a standard series-wired humbucker, but with each coil tapped for reduced output.
  • One single coil pickup with the other shut off.

There's a brief disussion here about the 513 schematic (with contributions from fellow forum members @verhoevenc and @SwedishLuthier I see), and in the middle of the post there's a diagram from the PRS patent. The scheme requires specially-wound pickups and a 3-way 6-pole switch, neither of which are going to be off-the-shelf parts.

It's not clear from the diagram you've drawn what you're connecting where - there's a lot of detail missing in the connections of all the various components as you've presented them.

The short answer is that you might be able to build something similar to the 513 wiring using, perhaps, stacked single coil humbuckers as a substitute for the custom-wound singles used by PRS, but it will never be a true 513. The 3-position switch is harder - your only option here is probably a rotary switch rather than a blade, although a 6-pole version will be difficult (not impossible) to source. It's potentially a big outlay of cash to buy these components in the hope it will actually work as expected.

The switching between piezo and mag is trivial, and can be accomplished referencing numerous diagrams on the web.

Wow!! Thank you so much for this Curtisa!!! This is exactly what I needed! I do have the light PRS 513 single coil used in a 513. They are hard as hell to find but I got them from a 513 that was completely gutted and warped from water damage at a pawn shop which is what got me to start this project. Here is a picture of the guitar I built

13173778_10156857969085433_8299653541450602033_n.jpg

If you managed to get the original pickups then you've done pretty well for yourself. Were you able to get the original 3-way blade switch too? That will be key to getting the guitar wired properly with the split humbucker functions. If not, I believe PRS will sell spare parts for their guitars. Might be worth sending them an email and see if they can supply the proper 3-way blade switch.

Nice looking instrument, BTW.

Unfortunately the 3-way missing from the guitar. I plan on bringing it into my local guitar shop and trying the wiring I stated above and see how it works cause they'll do it clean and safer then I will lol but if it doesn't work I'll have them contact PRS about the switch. Hopefully it won't break my wallet too much cause I also need to purchase a Ghost piezo system and saddles and that's gonna cost me about $200-$250

The guitar is absolutely beautiful and in the picture you can't really see how beautiful the flame maple is! I also got these really cool violin style tuning pegs.

13177089_10156857968875433_4590709741787031373_n.jpg

13177436_10156857969095433_5820745031446820622_n.jpg

13221612_10156857968885433_3130461063630100097_n.jpg

• 5 years later...