Kemp Guitars - 2016 Build thread

Hello ProjectGuitar,

Been working on some new design ideas for guitars, nothing too extreme, and I wanted to share the work on which these designs are based. I've been building an assortment of guitar designs/shapes for some years now, and although the variety has been interesting, it comes at a price when you're forever making up new templates, etc... So, I've decided to take control, add an element of continuity whilst still producing "one-off" builds. I will post regularly - I have a number of builds on at the moment - and hope that you enjoy seeing the work I'm doing...

The new body designs I am using are made up of a combination of various designs I've used in the past - various curved sections, cutaway depths and shapes, bevelled edges, etc - but not been entirely happy with... I am happy with these, especially the KM-I (see below)…

The recently finished KM-I #1 with Black Limba/Wenge body, Wenge/Black Walnut neck, Ebony fretboard and Gotoh/Hipshot hardware...

14962753_925551960921484_627055166393610

14980665_925552014254812_499744412750297

More to come soon :)

Edited by Guest
Update broken links

8 hours ago, ScottR said:

Nice! Well executed classic look.

SR

Thanks SR

8 hours ago, Mr Natural said:

Nice job. I love the look of black limba- what kind of finish are you using?

Thanks Mr Natural. I used Tung Oil on the Black Limba, Tru-Oil on the neck. To be honest, I actually think Tru-Oil would've worked better on the Limba so I've noted that for next time. All out of Limba stock for now, but I've got one body left (another with a Wenge top) so watch out for that one around New Year :)

The next build all ready underway; KM-I Ash body with Claro Walnut top, five-piece Black Walnut/Ash/Wenge neck, Indian Rosewood fretboard and Gotoh hardware...

15027872_930145667128780_111065615714876

Edited by Guest

5 hours ago, 10pizza said:

very nice! love the shape and the wood combinations. What pickups do you use on these?

Thanks for the feedback, I'm really having some fun with these new designs and the wood combinations.

The pickups in these are just cheap units I bought (Irongear's) to allow me to assemble and photograph complete instruments. I actually sold these stock guitars without pickups - allowing their new owners the freedom of whichever pickups they want.

Good to hear the pics are being enjoyed... Here are some more :)

15167545_934809233329090_764227240505825

15107243_934835283326485_125441585919664

15181581_934835279993152_440016158922600

15109378_934835273326486_642874309343944

Finished today; KM-I #2 Claro Walnut top on Ash body, Black Walnut/Ash/Wenge 5-piece neck, Indian Rosewood fretboard, Gotoh fixed bridge and 301 Series tuners, Tung Oil (body) and Tru-Oil (neck).

Edited by Guest

• 3 weeks later...

Another of the latest stock builds is this all-Sapele, except for the Makore (aka African Cherry) fretboard, 6-string KM-I. This will be loaded with Gotoh fixed bridge (ignore the 7-string bridge in the photo)and 301 Series tuners once complete late December/early January.

15349816_946110368865643_727931416387011

Sapele has been one of my favourite "tonewoods" since I used it on my first ever full build. It's easy to work with and smells nice, but (sadly) it's usually seen as a "cheaper" alternative to Mahogany. This couldn't be any further from the truth; Sapele is more readily available so, naturally, it won't cost as much as Mahogany. Sapele is "similar" to Mahogany in appearance and tone, however, Sapele also offers more punch and bright, airy highs... And it's prettier than most genuine Mahogany.

Edited by Guest

On ‎18‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 11:57 PM, KempGuitars said:

The pickups in these are just cheap units I bought (Irongear's)

I am thinking of using irongear pickups in my next project, I don't want anything expensive as I don't really play, I just need some 4 wire humbuckers that I can experiment with different wiring options and hopefully end up with a guitar I can practice with, I have read some good reviews of their pickups, what's your opinion of them?

1 hour ago, meatloaf said:

I am thinking of using irongear pickups in my next project, I don't want anything expensive as I don't really play, I just need some 4 wire humbuckers that I can experiment with different wiring options and hopefully end up with a guitar I can practice with, I have read some good reviews of their pickups, what's your opinion of them?

Hello meatloaf

They are pretty decent pickups considering how much they cost. I only have experience with the Steamhammer, having been asked to put one into a £1600 custom build a couple of years ago - they're also what I've bought for "display purposes" in the recent batch of KM-I and KM-II showcase builds I completed. I also know of a frequent hobby builder (who's had various custom build projects/kits off me) who uses them too. Depends what you want but if you look through their range and then Google that/those specific models, you will find enough reviews about them. Overall though, you won't find better for that money. Tonerider are decent enough as well - a little more costly and less of a range.

The specs on the Irongear Hot Slag and Rolling Mill look eerily similar to the Seymour Duncan JB and 59. Not saying that they'll sound identical to the SDs, but it's quite possible that they're modelled on them and share some of their tonal qualities. I've got a pair of Irongears here for a future build and am curious to give them a run.

Seriously tidy work on the latest ones!

On a side note, I'm still using a pair of IronGear Steamhammers in my first build; they aren't the hottest, most responsive, or cleanest of pickups, but they sound just as good as anything twice the price. I really fancy trying the Dirty Torque and Blues Engine together.

Thanks Stu

Here's another build on the bench at the moment; it's a 7-string KM-II with Black Walnut off-set body, Maple neck and bound Ebony fretboard. This one will be loaded with Original Floyd Rose, BKP Juggarnaut set and Hipshot Grip-Lock, and is due to be shipped out to USA around mid-January...

15380327_949640438512636_700410718532678

Edited by Guest

• 4 weeks later...

Happy New Year to you all!

The last year passed so quick, especially the last couple months of it. Kemp Guitars is looking forward to 2017, and we start with the first two builds that will be leaving the workshop this month (January).

The first is the custom 7-string KM-II build, previously mentioned, now taking on some oil coats as we speak alongside our stock KM-I (#3) with Sapele body/neck and Makore fretboard...

15871721_963401303803216_832665579585990

Edited by Guest
Fix broken links

PS. One last thing to add is about the latest CITES regulations that came into force today with regards to shipping any kind of Rosewood and some kinds of Bubinga - https://reverb.com/news/new-cites-regulations-for-all-rosewood-species. 

In light of these new regulations, Kemp Guitars has decided to discontinue all Rosewood, Bubinga and Cocobolo as options on any guitars that are being shipped to any non-UK based customer. Sad, I know, but there is a lot of administration and costs for both myself and the recipient if a guitar is made using one or more of these woods.