Kemp Guitars - 2016 Build thread

5 hours ago, Prostheta said:

Sure. I get a peppery nose and slightly runny eyes, but no breathing issues. That said, I decline from working with it unless I get a really nice piece. Choice this side of the pond seems poorer than it used to be. Where'd you source yours?

I got the Cocobolo from "Exotic Hardwoods UK Ltd" (as opposed to Timberline Exotic Hardwoods). As pointed out, choice is limited here in UK and Europe... More so now with the changes to CITES in January. We're still free to trade between ourselves (for the time being) but all the good stuff is in USA :(

41 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

I'm guessing that trade within the EU is not restricted with these changes? I might be tempted to find something nice from over in the UK.

At present, we can send within EU without the need for permits. That said, there are already many suppliers who won't send affected wood species outside their home country regardless of whether or not shipping to another EU country. On top of that, due to us leaving the EU within the next two years, UK suppliers and buyers, including us guitar makers, will be completely screwed over!!!

Edited by Guest

Next build I'll be completing is a carve-top KM-I - Wenge on Mahogany body, 5-piece Maple/Purpleheart neck, Ebony fretboard, Floyd Rose, Schaller M6 tuners and BKP Cold Sweat (N)/Miracle Man(B). The first coat of Tru-Oil was laid this afternoon, aim to be finished by end of first week of May...

18157077_1039384006204945_75500258118121

Edited by Guest

On 4/25/2017 at 7:01 PM, Jdogg said:

How thick is that top? and how was it carved?  reason I ask, I find the brown area's tend to tear out badly when carving Wenge, so I'm curious how you got around that...

The top is 14mm thick with 9mm deep carve. The initial shaping/contouring was done with a router...

[...IMAGE REMOVED...]

Then smoothed out with orbital sander for the best part, then sandpaper wrapped round a 15mm diameter piece of pipe for the narrow parts. No actual "carving" involved :rolleyes:

Edited by Guest

41 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

Exactly why I asked. It tends to make my brain do backflips sometimes.

I know what you mean. Odd thing is, if you look at it after the initial contouring was done (photo in my previous post), it's still got the bookmatched look. It was only when smoothing out the contours that the grain appears to flip 180 degrees. Looking back on past carve-tops, this doesn't usually happen, just down to the cut vs grain.

2 hours ago, Jdogg said:

Ah, thank you for the info.  I like how you already have your controls recessed to the proper height before the carve... this is obviously something you do regularly and you have your process down pat... 

No problem :)

I don't do these too often but I will use the same measurements each time - 9mm carve into 14mm top - so I know there won't be any mistakes. I remember my first two carve-tops went wrong due to miscalculation, although that was actually when it came to routing the cavity into the back of the body and I went through the top/front of the body ^_^ 

• 2 weeks later...

Finished with Tru-Oil, our first KM-III is being put together now...

18403749_1049206551889357_85338035744140

Ash body w/Zebrano top, Wenge/Sapele neck w/white pinstripes, Ebony fretboard...

18403029_1049206535222692_60895824233284

Edited by Guest

On 5/10/2017 at 4:33 PM, Prostheta said:

Extremely clean work. What level of workshop setup are you running over there?

Thanks Prostheta.

I have a modest setup, just adequate for what I do; 260mm planer thicknesser, pillar drill, 12" bandsaw (behind the camera), oscillating spindle sander and a couple of 1/4" routers...

[...IMAGE REMOVED...]

Edited by Guest

Wow. From your build quality and consistency, plus the professional looking photography, I was expecting a shop full of the high end toys. You've got pretty much what most of the rest of us have. You are setting an excellent example for all of us sir!

SR

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KempGuitars said:

Finished with Tru-Oil, our first KM-III is being put together now...

18403749_1049206551889357_85338035744140

Ash body w/Zebrano top, Wenge/Sapele neck w/white pinstripes, Ebony fretboard...

18403029_1049206535222692_60895824233284

great job man- that top is swwweeeeet! I am normally not a fan of zebra wood- but that piece is sweet. very cool neck too btw.

12 hours ago, ScottR said:

Wow. From your build quality and consistency, plus the professional looking photography, I was expecting a shop full of the high end toys. You've got pretty much what most of the rest of us have. You are setting an excellent example for all of us sir!

SR

:D As much as I would love an industrial-scale workshop setup, I don't think I would really benefit from it. I could spend a lot of money on CNC, for example, but then that would defy my intentions as a builder - to produce one-off "handcrafted" guitars. No, it's modest but it serves me well. I have been meaning to make myself a router table... And a drum sander would be nice too.

12 hours ago, Mr Natural said:

great job man- that top is swwweeeeet! I am normally not a fan of zebra wood- but that piece is sweet. very cool neck too btw.

Thanks Mr Natural. I'm with you on the Zebrano - I didn't think too much of it before - but finding this piece for a nice price I decided to try it out. Although only a drop-top, it's nice enough to work with and I think the oil finish suits it better than a lacquer finish (might make it look too plastic). I also discovered, by accident, that it looks quite pretty with a Mahogany-colour stain... I'd already started the oil on this guitar at that point so I'll do that next time.

It's not about the tools, it's about the organisation and having good work flow. Obviously skills matter, but the best skills can be totally thrown by poor working space and bad decision-making, especially on short timescales. That's some good clear space there, which means you're not tripping over your own elbows!

On 5/11/2017 at 2:22 PM, Jdogg said:

That neck looks epic!

Can you get some close up shots of the Wenge / sapelle.  I've been considering that combo in a 5 pc neck for my next build...

Thanks Jdogg... As soon as the guitar is finished (just needs setting up now) I will do my usual photoshoot and get some close-ups for you. It is a very nice combination, I did a five-piece Wenge/Bubinga (similar-ish colour to Sapele) last year if it helps give you an idea of how it'll look...

13007282_801236123353069_727980846044142

On 5/11/2017 at 2:52 PM, Prostheta said:

It's not about the tools, it's about the organisation and having good work flow. Obviously skills matter, but the best skills can be totally thrown by poor working space and bad decision-making, especially on short timescales. That's some good clear space there, which means you're not tripping over your own elbows!

That's very true Prostheta. I started out in a 12' x 8' "shed" and you'd turn round with a neck in your hand and catch it on something. I then went to a large single garage and that was okay with a setup slightly smaller to now. However, the purpose-built workshop (with upgraded tools/equipment) that I have now allows me to swing a cat (or larger animal) around... Not that I've ever tried that, of course <_< But the space really does improve things and I can do different tasks in different places to keep mess down where I don't want it, etc.

Edited by Guest

It's finished, my first KM-III - Zebrano top on Ash body, Wenge/Sapele neck, Ebony fretboard, Hipshot bridge, Gotoh tuners and Tru-Oil finish... Enjoy :)

kemp-gallery-59.jpg

kemp-gallery-60.jpg

kemp-gallery-61.jpg

kemp-gallery-63.jpg

Edited by Guest