Kemp Guitars - 2016 Build thread

Custom KM-I carve-top finished - Wenge on Mahogany body, 5-piece Maple/Purpleheart neck, Ebony fretboard, Floyd Rose Original, Schaller M6 tuners, BKP Miracle Man (bridge)/Cold Sweat (neck) and Tru-Oil gloss finish...

19146111_1073934642749881_60797851208751

19224750_1073934666083212_90994576907148

19225846_1073934646083214_66625299641063

19146063_1073934716083207_91098390590128

That Ziricote top will be next... Then some new stuff coming...

Edited by Guest

Love the pics with the contrasting textures... but did you lay that piece of art down on rough concrete?!?  Almost gave me a heart attack, especially looking at the face-down pic.  Aarrgghh! :blink:  

Doesn't look any worse for wear though, so I guess all's well.

Beautiful instrument by the way.  I really like your work.

3 hours ago, eubie said:

Love the pics with the contrasting textures... but did you lay that piece of art down on rough concrete?!?  Almost gave me a heart attack, especially looking at the face-down pic.  Aarrgghh! :blink:  

Doesn't look any worse for wear though, so I guess all's well.

Beautiful instrument by the way.  I really like your work.

Thanks eubie, I'm happy with this one despite the pain it was to carve that Wenge.

And no, haha, I use a couple of small blocks of dense foam between the guitar and the ground :) Just enough to give clearance (of the knobs and trem) when laying down on its front to shoot the back. It may be a little risky, especially on concrete (which I use, as in most of my shoots, as a contrast thing against the natural wood) but I am careful.

6 hours ago, Prostheta said:

That truly is stunning work. The owner will be super pleased with their new addition.

Thanks Prostheta.

Yep, just heard back from the owner with words to that effect. On to the next one now (Ziricote top DC) which should be complete and photographed on Tuesday :)

The next build on "the Lion blanket" is this one - which should be ready for a photoshoot tomorrow (pending fret dress and setup). After which, there are a few new (and secret) builds that I'll be working on over the next few weeks so things will go quite quiet during that time... All will be revealed!

19225216_1074583892684956_14038412390866

Edited by Guest

17 hours ago, KempGuitars said:

19225216_1074583892684956_14038412390866

I actually scrolled back through this entire thread this morning, and want to say that this is probably my favorite of all your guitars that are featured in the thread.  Granted, I tend to favor simpler designs with clear references to the classics, so there's that.  I do have a couple observations that I hope you'll comment on, and a couple questions.

One of the things I loved about the early photos of this guitar was the contrast between the dark zircote on top and the much lighter sapele underneath, and how the carve on the lower horn produced a really nice accent with that contrast.  But the finish seems to have darkened the sapele quite a bit, diminshing the contrast.  Was that expected/intentional, or is that just what you get when you put the finish on the sapele?

In this photo, the zircote looks pretty open pored.  Did you do any pore filling, and if so, what technique did you use?  I personally really like keeping the natural look of the wood (i.e. unfilled), but I know many prefer the feel of the instrument better when it's filled.

Can't wait to see the full set of finished photos - nice work all around!

-- se

5 hours ago, eubie said:

I actually scrolled back through this entire thread this morning, and want to say that this is probably my favorite of all your guitars that are featured in the thread.  Granted, I tend to favor simpler designs with clear references to the classics, so there's that.  I do have a couple observations that I hope you'll comment on, and a couple questions.

One of the things I loved about the early photos of this guitar was the contrast between the dark zircote on top and the much lighter sapele underneath, and how the carve on the lower horn produced a really nice accent with that contrast.  But the finish seems to have darkened the sapele quite a bit, diminshing the contrast.  Was that expected/intentional, or is that just what you get when you put the finish on the sapele?

In this photo, the zircote looks pretty open pored.  Did you do any pore filling, and if so, what technique did you use?  I personally really like keeping the natural look of the wood (i.e. unfilled), but I know many prefer the feel of the instrument better when it's filled.

Can't wait to see the full set of finished photos - nice work all around!

-- se

Hello eubie,

You know what, your first paragraph is exactly how I was feeling this morning as I put that last string on the guitar - this is one of my favourite builds ever, and I mean since I started building. It's a step back to where I was pre-Kemp Guitars, but that's perhaps confirmed something that I've been thinking for a while. So, you may not see any/many new KM builds from now on... But there is some exciting stuff coming soon :)

No problem answering your questions. The results post-finish (Tru-Oil) are exactly what I had expected. That said, I was expecting the Ziricote to go darker, but it didn't and that's a bonus. To be honest, I wasn't looking for a big contrast between the Sapele and Ziricote. I'd seen the two woods work together, I love Sapele and I had the Ziricote sitting on a shelf, so I went for it.

Pore-fill or no pore-fill... I'm with you on leaving things as natural as possible. I have done a couple of Black Walnut builds recently, both with the pore-fill and a matte Tru-Oil finish, and they felt nice... er, like plastic :P I know many builders and players prefer that feel, whether Tru-Oil or lacquer, but if I'm going for the natural look then it has to feel natural too... The flat, glassy (or plastic) feel can be left to clear coat finishes.

Off to sort out some photos now... Hope this answers your Qs?

:)

59 minutes ago, Mr Natural said:

Daaaaaammmmn Dude. That is absolutely one of the nicest tru-oil finishes I have ever seen- well done man--well done. 

Thank you very much, sir :)

52 minutes ago, eubie said:

Perfectly - thanks!

Cool, glad to help :)

Ready for your viewing pleasure...

19274940_1075298582613487_31482806479135

19420353_1075629512580394_10770008206904

19247923_1075298602613485_14666427602774

That's just a sample - more pics to be uploaded to the website gallery tomorrow. Thanks for all your comments and support.

Edited by Guest

7 hours ago, ScottR said:

Ahhhh nice. After viewing your first picture, I was afraid the ziricote had gone too dark. I see that was just the lighting.

SR

Natural vs artificial light has such an effect on the appearance of wood in photos, it's hard to judge the final look sometimes. All worked out good though and I love the Ziricote look... Will have to get some more :)

FYI. Revisiting some old forum threads and decided to spend the last hour updating broken image links. All fixed now if anyone's still interested in reading the old Kemp threads 😉

On to the next one...

Edited by Guest