2016 Progress

Stu.

• 2 weeks later...
@ScottR I don't know if you were dropping hints, but I wasn't very happy with the staining of the top and decided to take some action! I sanded it back a little and added 50% purple to give three tones with a bit more depth.

Left is before, right is after:
37314732914_6e7c0fa34a_b.jpgUntitled by S K, on Flickr

I started on the clear coat too; I managed to get four coats on at the weekend. My technique isn't great, so I'm going to have a lot of runs to sand out when it eventually cures. I don't mind though!

38009844932_a9da1499c9_b.jpgUntitled by S K, on Flickr

24188550498_8014aceb3e_b.jpgUntitled by S K, on Flickr

1 hour ago, ScottR said:

I actually wasn't dropping hints...but I really like the new version. Much more pop!

SR

Maybe it was just my paranoia, because I didn't like the initial result :lol: I actually did some Googling and ended up reading a PG article about it! I don't have the facilities to make tinted clear, so I followed the article.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I haven't felt like there's been much to report on this one for a while. The clear was going on fine, but it just wasn't curing in the cold weather. Even with keeping the guitar at room temperature prior to spraying, and waiting before using a heat lamp, the solvents weren't evaporating well before skinning over. I had to leave the most recent coat inside for a couple of weeks - it left a slightly soft finish and solvent pops galore, but it was firm enough for wet sanding. I cut it back and now it's hardening very nicely. I won't attempt any more spraying until the weather improves; I'm even considering getting a local spray shop to do it.

39287016882_fc6879345c_b.jpg 

Untitled by S K, on Flickr

25447309708_369a58c7ba_b.jpg 

24452443407_d0b5485056_b.jpg 

25447313038_5cf135762a_b.jpg 

I just wanted to break the top clear, because it would never have cured.