Mouradian-style 4 string bass

1 hour ago, Mr Natural said:

that cream appears to be  a lot less "yellow" than some of the paints here in the states. Looking forward to seeing this with clear and (perhaps) a pic in natural sunlight (wink wink hint hint)- looking good man

Natural sunlight??????   In the UK??????  In February March April May June July August September October November December  January?????? 

:D

Actually, yesterday was, against all the odds, sunny....but the first time there had been ANY sunlight in over a week of dark blanket cloud and we celebrated by going out for the day rather than me getting on with the important stuff.  I've come to the conclusion that when the ballon goes up and we enter the decade of the post-nuclear blanket dust cloud, the U.K. will be fine.  In fact probably we won't notice  

:lol:

But if we do get any proper daylight soon, I will try to take a decent outside shot :) 

15 hours ago, Mr Natural said:

that cream appears to be  a lot less "yellow" than some of the paints here in the states. Looking forward to seeing this with clear and (perhaps) a pic in natural sunlight (wink wink hint hint)- looking good man

It's a nice colour (intended to match a bass the owner used to have) but it was a bit of a swine to use.  It's an enamel, which are usually a little more easy to use than some paints, but despite what the tin said and used exactly as the instructions, it absolutely would not take a second coat.  In the end, I varnished over the first and then did the second coat over the varnish!  I will write to the suppliers...they probably need to know.

Anyway, it's another total cloud cover day, but at least it's light, so here it is, prior to the flattening and final wipe-coat:

_MG_0442.JPG

_MG_0444.JPG

The headstock clearly needs finishing off and varnishing and also, below, the playing area of the neck has not been finished at all.  It will be tru-oil slurry and buffed and so will tone to the same colour but will be satin rather than gloss:

_MG_0445.JPG

The flattening went OK and the first 'final coat' for the back is on.  I reckon this will be OK, ready for polishing in a couple of weeks time.  I hope the top goes as well tomorrow morning:

_MG_0448.JPG

_MG_0451.JPG

This method will never match a proper spray job, but once it's polished it is pretty OK - especially as you could do it in a spare bedroom!

thanks for taking the daylight pics. That cream color you have is what I think of when I think of the fender white like hendrix's strat Now a days the vintage white/olympic white, creams- everything doesnt look like it used to. I once found a dupli-color paint for a Subaru color that if you undercoated in white- and then sprayed it light so it was translucent came close to that color but I cant find it anymore. the guitar re-ranch stuff is no where close to that color- their blonde if sprayed heavy is closer but still no cigar. I have tried in the past mixing my own but have failed. 

• Like 1

i meant to say- I like your color- its almost exactly what I think of as far as fender vintage white/cream should look like- its also very close to squires ricky. I applaud your efforts with brush on anything- what a test of patience I bet trying to get that perfectly flat- yikes. I cant wait to see this finished- looking great so far

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2017 at 7:49 PM, Mr Natural said:

i meant to say- I like your color- its almost exactly what I think of as far as fender vintage white/cream should look like- its also very close to squires ricky. I applaud your efforts with brush on anything- what a test of patience I bet trying to get that perfectly flat- yikes. I cant wait to see this finished- looking great so far

Thanks @Mr Natural :D  

Many apologies for my tardiness.

There are a few bits and pieces to finish off, but this is now pretty close to handover.  I'll do some proper 'finished' pics once I've finished tweaking and given it its final polish, but here it is, grabbing the first sunny day in what feels like weeks (hmmmm....feels like and is).  This is pretty true to the actual colour:

_MG_0652.JPG

_MG_0678.JPG

_MG_0654.JPG

_MG_0670.JPG

_MG_0679.JPG

The hatch and truss rod cover are held on by micro magnets and the electrics includes parallel / series / split for each of the pickups.  It produces some nice sounds!  The neck has been tru-oil slurry and buffed and is silky smooth - it has a lovely feel to it.

This is the SmoothHound Wireless Tx in place.  The owner wanted full open access at the back and invisible from the front.  To use a cable, you just pull out the unit and plug in a standard jack:

_MG_0682.JPG

Just got to add the strap buttons, tweak the jack socket a touch to allow the Tx to sit fully square and give the frets a final tweak

• Like 1

That is lovely work Andy.

I often have wondered what the inspiration for that body shape was. When I squint a bit and only see outlines, I get a visual of a disco dancing ghost--ala Casper. But what I see even more strongly, is the outlines of a dancing flame.

Are you sure you don't want to go back and airbrush some flames to match the shape?

:D

SR

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ScottR said:

Very nice Andy, it looks like she's all dressed up for a formal. I never noticed the big ol' two color side markers before. I don't often say this about side markers, but they add an additional touch of class. The new owner should be ecstatic.

SR

Thanks, Scott - very much appreciated :)

The side dots are the larger black-surrounded luminlay glow in the dark ones and then there are the small ones set into the fretboard over the body length.

I pass this across on Friday, assuming the new owner doesn't have an excitement-induced heart attack first :lol:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr Natural said:

great work Andy- and you nailed the color. I really think its very hard to get that color not too white/not too yellow. So- did you use the Manchester Guitar Tech paint you were mentioning previously?

No - but should have done.  In the end it was my fallback position if I had had to strip it all off and start again, but I stuck with a cream enamel and polyurethane clear varnish.  It was the enamel that was incompatible with itself - wouldn't use it again!