Have some questions regarding Vermillion

Have any of you worked with this wood before?  I have enough to build two instruments with and was wondering on its viability on use as neck wood?  Originally was planning on using it laminated with either maple or another common neck wood that would augment its color like wenge or similar.

As far as air darkening, It was fairly coca cola red when I bought the lumber and hasnt darkened too far off from that, maybe a little deeper, but nothing like how purpleheart changes

If the vermilion you're referring to is otherwise known as padauk, I've used a fair amount of it. I really love working with it, and I think it makes a great neck. Check out my 2015-2016 threads if you want to see it in the build process. 

Fair warning: if you put it next to maple, it will do its very best to bleed bright red-orange oil and make your maple look funny. 

• 3 months later...

It isn't padauk. I cannot remember the common name the lumber yard had it as.  It was bright coca cola red when I bought it, Now after it has aged some it is a lovely oxblood color like the red doc Martin boots.

Bloodwood (I just went out and looked at the board.)  I knew nothing about it when I bought it, the guy said it was also called vermillion.  I was just very keen on the vibrant color of it. It has darkened now, but no where near how dingy purpleheart looks after aging and darkening.

Unless its another wood being mislabelled, I would submit that its Padauk also. This resource may help.

http://hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/padauk.htm

You might just have one of those exceptional examples that don't look like what they are. A lot of trade woods (think, Teak, Purpleheart or Lignum Vitae) are often several distinct but superficially identical species that get lumped under one name. Padauk was definitely in there. Not sure if variants exist on the same kind of level as the usual suspects.

You are probably correct.  I was reading another website discussing the same.  I figured it was another species altogether, as they actually had padauk in stock which was more of an orange juice color when I was there.

It is probably something akin to pecan and hickory, where Padauk is the main phenotype, and the various shades of brand names are just alternate strains.

It's difficult to say without getting hands-on with it. I think I saw a site a while back stocking "Vermillion" and if I recall correctly, it wasn't a site that wouldn't call it Padauk if that is what it was. Maybe LMII, not sure. It was a while back. I'd have another look at it and use the reference photos on Hobbit House (immensely awesome site) to guide you. If the stockist has a country of origin (if they don't....hmmmm....yeah) then that might provide clues, or the gold standard, a scientific name for the species.

• 1 month later...