Original's 2017

Hello Everyone. I haven't posted in a while, I spent most of the summer on the road, and didn't get back into building until late this fall. I finished a couple of DC Juniors that I started earlier in the year. One is a TV yellow replica guitar, and another in Heritage Cherry that I helped a friend put together. I've done construction threads on this type before, so as not to be repetitive I'll just share a few pictures. I've always loved DC Jr's, and never get tired of making them. The yellow one is as absolutely close to original specs as I could make it. I had an actual '59 Jr. on loan for a while, and I used it to make an exact set of templates. This was my first attempt at the 'TV' finish, and I love the look that I got. I'll be doing another one like it this year. When I did the wood work on this one. I made another that's identical.

md01.jpg

P1000808.jpg

P1000811.jpg

P1000817.jpg

Edited by Original

Moving right along... 

I always liked the Squier '51's They were a neat little guitar for the price, and I really missed the one I had, after selling it. I had this Ash Strat shaped body, and Pau Ferro Tele Shaped neck blank sitting around for a long time. There's not too much to talk about on this one. It's about as basic as they get construction wise, There's only a few pieces of wood involved. It's the first 'bolt on' that I've built in over ten years, so it was about time I guess. I love the way the neck turned out. Anyone familiar with me knows that I like doing one piece necks. I've used several species, but this is the most exotic so far. Be careful working with this stuff. The sawdust is pretty nasty, and quite toxic. I finished it with a single coat of Tru-Oil. The body finish is transparent red over black grain fill. I left the grain a little bit open because I liked the look, and this one's so simple, I felt it needed the affect. I wound the humbucker, and strat pickup to vintage specs. It is a Freaking tone beast. I'll be keeping this one.P1000857.jpg

20161011_203619.jpg

custom 51.01.jpg

51 10.6.2016.jpg

20160929_183340.jpg

custom 51.02.jpg

custom 51.03.jpg

custom 51.04.jpg

fiftyone iii.jpg

Thanks Tim, The red guitar was self indulgence, and I dig the way it turned out. It's inspired me to do another 'bolt on'.

I've glued up, and cut out an Alder body for a Duo-Sonic. It's small and lightweight compared to the red one. I started work on a two piece neck for this one. It'll be a simple project. I've never done a metallic finish. This one will be sonic blue.

Another one that I've started this winter is a parlor sized electric.  Mahogany body, and neck, Cedar top, Rosewood fingerboard. 24.75 scale. I've seen these growing in popularity, so I thought I would give one my spin.

20161224_210424.jpg

20161217_200325.jpg

20161218_124235.jpg

There are some very nice looking builds here.  Like you, I love the lines of the double cut juniors and your two have been done wonderfully well.

I assume you wire them up '50s style.  I did a finishing job on one for myself recently and wired it up that way for the first time.  I am staggered at the tonal differences on tap just with those two knobs!  Acoustic to jazz to crunch to screaming with no pedals and without going anywhere near the amp controls!  I have no idea what's going on electronically and how just a couple of wires  soldered in slightly different positions can make so much difference, but the effect....simply wonderful :) 

• Like 1