KnightroExpress

Knightro Guitars 2017

30 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, KnightroExpress said:

("you bought another router bit? I thought you already had one!")

<_<

You're going to build another one? is what I hear in my garage.

SR

1 person likes this

11 hours ago, 2.5itim said:

Like this pan kara? Sorry it's the best pic I've got of it, you might have to zoom in. 

IMG_0939.JPG

Yes, pretty much like this. I'm using threaded inserts as opposed to these t-nuts (is that what they're called?), but otherwise this is what I meant. So it works ok?

I saw demonx do this in the past, initially I was thinking to do what he's doing which is having the screw access under the pickup, but I've been looking at my thicknesses and in my design I have 45mm body and the neck pocket at 29mm (the neck heel is 30mm thick). I started out with 20mm pickup cavities but I figure they don't deed to be that deep (except maybe the "ears"). If they're at ~18mm then I'd have 11mm of tenon thickness in the pickup cavity. My threaded inserts are 12mm long so I'm pretty much there and I could have the screws go in from the back.

neck_joint.png

On the other hand, given the neck (and heel) taper, one would need to anyway remove the neck pickup to take the neck out I guess...   

on a 38mm body this is a different story :) .. I've been playing it safe and staying with the usual 45mm mostly so far, but I have two body blanks which after I plane away some warping will get me somewhere in the 30-35mm range, so unless I go for a thick carved top (which I might), these will force me to explore the thin-body territory

Yep it should be fine doing it that way with thick bodies, my bodies are usually around 1.25" thick (31-32mm) and it does get a bit complicated when you get that thin. The only way I could make this work was to either take the heel of the neck really thin in that area which I didn't want to do, so I ended up at 3/8" thick. Or the other option was to modify the pickup, so all the pickups I put in these models will get the base plate swapped out for a flat plate instead of the dog ear type. 

While it is all figured out now and I know what needs to be done on the next ones I do it was a real pain to figure it all out. 

And yeah they are called t-nuts. 

1 person likes this

Short and sweet today- main carve done, neck is set! 

IMG_20170119_140855_zpsbzqo6sxe.jpg
IMG_20170119_142558_zpsnzwc2efo.jpg

Tomorrow, I'll have the neck and heel blended together, then I can start the final sanding process.

awesome work, nice pics of the routing process!