Knightro Guitars 2017

17 hours ago, KnightroExpress said:

Problem: bound edges aren't terribly comfortable on the forearm. 

One of the biggest points against binding in my book. In fact, I'm not a fan of sharp edges at any point on the guitar where you normally have a reason to touch it...

SR

6 hours ago, pan_kara said:

LOL I literally just had an idea today of doing exactly this on some future build - solving the problem of bound body with a thin top being uncomfortable on the forearm by carving through the binding and just having it disappear for that section of the outline.

I thought I was being original, but now it I ever do it, it will be another thing to put on my list "and now I'll do what I saw Knightro do in the past" . oh well

:D

I know I've seen at least a few other people do the cut-through-binding trick, so I definitely won't claim to have invented it! It does feel pretty nice though. 

4 hours ago, Prostheta said:

Completely insane suggestion, however if the binding somehow followed the boundary line between the Maple and Mahogany....I just thought of how I could do that....

Like a bent top with bent binding? 

That oil shoor makes it purdy.

On 3/22/2017 at 3:17 PM, pan_kara said:

I think he means the line that you've created by cutting through

I think I've seen something like that on some high end Taylor acoustics. And I remember several years back an Aussie named Chad (@Chops something, I believe) made a couple of teles with bound forearm comfort cuts.

SR

• 1 month later...

ok, so it takes me about 1 year to get to this stage in a build :P

I love the bit with the spiral bit, moving that way myself too (not sure if I'll make new templates to use spirals exclusively for body outlines or like you run it with the smallest possible bushing to get close to final shape and then follow with normal bits)

but but

what is THIS???

On 4/1/2017 at 0:12 AM, KnightroExpress said:

IMG_20170331_171314_zpsah5sh3sm.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks Scott! Not much of a process for the pickup angles, to be perfectly honest. I made the routs for 10 degree baseplates because 10 degree pickups are fairly easy to come across in the ERG sphere.

My next project uses a similar 18 degree bridge (only a sixer though) and will get a custom 18 degree pickup for a better visual match.

Since you've got access to laser cutters Andrew, I'm surprised that you're not already cutting your own bobbins and baseplates. Obviously winding is the key beyond this to rolling your own. Is that something on the cards, or that you've considered? The multiscales that I have on the bench are simply using angled "normal" pickups out of simplicity in translation for other people to follow if they want, however I do have an interest in taking on winding myself and upping that game to less standard configurations.

I've definitely considered lasering my own bases and flatwork, but you've nailed my issue exactly: I don't have a winder yet. I've wound a few pickups and would definitely like to add that to my arsenal of in-house capabilities, especially for extended range and angled applications. Plus, I think it would be fun to experiment and play around with oddball magnets and patterns.

I just started reading your web-enabled winder thread and I am super interested in seeing how that little beastie develops!

I had no idea hipshot now made dedicated multiscale stuff ..

yea the whole slanting business is one of the main visual problems with this type of guitar. Even in this explorer, which is super-nice, the point where the fingerboard edge is not parallel to the last fret (or "continuing the fan") looks a bit weird to me. It would be much nicer if the pickups could actually follow the fret fan with their angling, but that would indeed require a custom pickup job I expect.

@pan_kara- getting the chosen scales (26.5-28" in this case) to line up with a readily available bridge and retain a comfortable angle at the nut end was my main design concern, I don't mind the tiny bit at the fretboard's end that isn't parallel. Also, the owner can swap out the pickups (Instrumental SFTY3-8 here) for any of Bare Knuckle's range in 10 degrees or have something made to fit that semi-common template. It's just a lot easier than switching when a super custom set has been made.

On to catch-up for another current build! I redesigned the Pulsar (my Flying V analogue) and decided to go semi-ridiculous on the spec.

Full padauk body with sapwood stripe, padauk neck with cocobolo fretboard and accent lams.

Here's the body from board to shaped:

IMG_20170523_111556_zps2w45arda.jpg
IMG_20170523_132224_zpsdumlthvn.jpg
IMG_20170524_115318_zpsaajowq4f.jpg
IMG_20170524_122145_zpssbuxetys.jpg
IMG_20170524_122958_zpsmrtxomfp.jpg
IMG_20170524_131725_zpsn7lcca0g.jpg
IMG_20170524_160947_zpskcphbnhh.jpg
IMG_20170524_175333_zpseuw2ux2d.jpg

Neck stuff:

IMG_20170525_192623_zpshouwo4s1.jpg
IMG_20170525_182544_zpstdkv9mxq.jpg