Knightro Guitars 2017

This one was quick... how long is the entire process? 

The Exploder is probably the coolest redesign I've seen ever... congratulations.

There's something I'm wondering lately... what's the purpose of a multiscale? Sorry for stupid question.

What are your thoughts on guitars made entirely of Padauk?  Crimson says it's very similar to Mahogany but Warmoth says it's very similar to Maple...  those are 2 exact opposite ends of the spectrum... so somebody's lying here...  LOL...

I suppose this question is only really relevant if you buy into the whole wood affects tone by any measurable amount argument....  which I'm not even sure I buy in on....

@psikoT Thank you! I've never been an Explorer guy, but I'm actually really happy with the Exploder. 

The padauk Pulsar took about 2 weeks to get to this point, on hold 'til I ship the Exploder.

@Prostheta- thanks for posting that!

@Jdogg- I don't really buy into the 'tonewood' thing for electric guitars. It's not that don't I think there's some sort of effect from using different woods, but between your pickups and the rest of your signal chain (with who knows how many reconfigurable parameters), you've got endless options to dial out things you don't like or punch up things you do.

However, I do look for woods with strength, stability, and the ability to resonate in a musical fashion. Padauk is ridiculously resonant, you can knock on it and get a very clear and loud 'bonggg' (technical term) that carries for a long time. For me that translates to a guitar that'll feel lively in your hands, which is a key part of feeling connected to the instrument. 

To compare padauk to other woods, it's harder than maple and similarly stiff, but cuts smoothly and fairly easily. Working with it is quite nice, aside from the buckets of neon orange dust.

• Like 1

Thanks for your thoughts on the Padauk / tonewood. 

I used it for a neck on my 2nd build and found it to be everything you've mentioned above and intensely stable to boot. 

the color however is my favorite part....  even after it oxidizes....  love it....  ah, danmit... now I wanna do another Padauk build....  I blame you!

• Like 1

"Similar to Mahogany". :mellow:

Okay. Well it's not the stupidest thing he's said.

I have to play both sides of the fence on the tonewood thing. Firstly, I don't think there is such a thing. It falsely inflates certain woods with a nebulous reputation which is rarely realisable on a non-acoustic instrument. On the other hand, some woods affect the instrument and how the strings strapped over them vibrate. It's a system even if you're using magnetic pickups. A rubber neck would sound different to a steel neck. Wood is just a narrow band of characteristics in between those two.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Prostheta said:

On the other hand, some woods affect the instrument and how the strings strapped over them vibrate

Exactly! I'm sure we've all picked up a guitar that feels dead in your hands, it's not the experience I want when (poorly) playing music. My aim is to maximize the opportunity for connection and promote some sort of emotional synergy between player and instrument. Bonus points if it looks good too!

....I'm taking art and business classes concurrently, can you tell?

• Like 1

So now I've gotta get the top on there. 

IMG_20170609_124111_zpsesoeuhe8.jpg

This ziricote is fairly thin and I want to make sure the centerline stays where it should, so I'm making a new top clamping rig for this guitar.

Enter a melamine cabinet door (thanks grandpa):

IMG_20170609_132305_zps2zaeqa3y.jpg
IMG_20170609_133120_zpsttiub2pg.jpg

The 1/4" holes are in the middle of the pickup routs and match corresponding holes I've drilled in the body core and top. I'll use short sections of steel rod as pins to keep everything aligned.

Now I make a sandwich- bottom caul, body core, top, top caul. Easy!

IMG_20170609_134122_zpswahgdct3.jpg
IMG_20170609_134239_zps4fhmozvk.jpg
IMG_20170609_134258_zps18ckoedn.jpg
IMG_20170609_134311_zpszngrx5t0.jpg
IMG_20170609_134334_zpsym2ox43l.jpg
IMG_20170609_134344_zpsu9kav1id.jpg

Simply add glue, clamp, wait, and presto!

IMG_20170609_142348_zps9tbzhvwo.jpg
IMG_20170612_134907_zps7xy06kli.jpg
IMG_20170612_134917_zps3ccrcbju.jpg

Nice clean joint all around. 

Some glamour shots of the body and chosen fretboard:

IMG_20170612_163136_zps7e4h3vil.jpg
IMG_20170612_163156_zpsdq385tii.jpg
IMG_20170612_163205_zpsx2tsu14z.jpg
IMG_20170612_163259_zpstvxln9wr.jpg
IMG_20170612_165626_zpsx4ulhzjh.jpg
IMG_20170612_165636_zpsjkxphwqa.jpg

• Like 3

yup. it takes me 6-8 months to get to this stage normally. lol and here you have the whole process in a nutshell. 

plus the current "hip" woods - black limba body, b&w ebony fingerboard, ziricote top ... I wanted to make myself a dark top-light body + light fingerboard-dark neck guitar - and here it is. 

plus multiscale

this really is a "tick-all-the-boxes" instrument :D

so these hipshot bridges are a custom order from them? I didn't see them on their website last time I checked ..

• Like 1

Hipshot are in the process of revamping their website and online storefront. They simply do not want to add in more information and products to the existing site, when it will become redundant work very soon. I understand that they want to pour focus into the new site.

If you need anything specific, let me know. The multiscale bridges are available in 11°, 18°, 21° and 26° saddle angles, 6-7-8 string versions in chrome, gold and black. I have black and a chrome 11° 6ers on the way for the channel builds. Since deriving a multiscale design from the bridge angle upwards is a slightly different method to other way of designing an instrument, I intend on doing a live streamed CAD session on YouTube. It'll be scheduled on agreement with Patrons in terms of time and date so the most of us are available to chat during the session itself.

• Like 2

On 6/24/2017 at 10:13 AM, Prostheta said:

Hipshot are in the process of revamping their website and online storefront. They simply do not want to add in more information and products to the existing site, when it will become redundant work very soon. I understand that they want to pour focus into the new site.

If you need anything specific, let me know. The multiscale bridges are available in 11°, 18°, 21° and 26° saddle angles, 6-7-8 string versions in chrome, gold and black. I have black and a chrome 11° 6ers on the way for the channel builds. Since deriving a multiscale design from the bridge angle upwards is a slightly different method to other way of designing an instrument, I intend on doing a live streamed CAD session on YouTube. It'll be scheduled on agreement with Patrons in terms of time and date so the most of us are available to chat during the session itself.

thanks for the info. I might need one of these (or more :D ) but I'm not sure whether my next batch of builds will feature a multiscale, we'll see. Right now I have to finish the current four builds so realistically speaking in Fall I might be planning out the next series.

(I mean of course I have 7 or so other builds laid out, some already have hardware purchased already.. :P )

• Like 1

That exploder is a beast.

My "not your momma's strat" build used a black limba body and a ziricote top like that. It makes a fine looking guitar. The jury is still out for me on that fretboard. It is either going to be cool as hell .... or really busy. I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on how it sounds, when you get to that stage (next week at this pace). Brett and I had similar thoughts on ziricote tops.

SR

• Like 1

@Prostheta Ah, you're too kind, Carl! It means a lot, given that your work is the definition of 'clean and controlled'

@psikoT Thank you! (hopefully haha)

@pan_kara The Hipshot multi bridges are very nicely made, I'd love to see one featured in one of your builds!

@ScottR Thanks Scott! The limba/ziricote guitar is going to be in a bunch of promo material for a fairly well-known band, so a bit of flash won't be unwelcome. I think it'll look good, but I can always cut up something more subtle if it ends up being clashy. 

On 6/23/2017 at 8:55 PM, KnightroExpress said:

IMG_20170619_150423_zpsdmr5sbig.jpg

You do beautiful work in general, and I really like where this guitar is going.  I'm not sure how I feel about the "interrupted binding" that you've done here, and that I've seen on one or two other builds recently.  Seems like it's hitting trend mode lately, and I'm not saying I don't like it... just not sure yet.  

One thought I had recently was that it might look interesting to put a layer of wood between your base and top that matches your binding (or bind with the same wood) - in this case, something light (maple?).  Then when you do the forearm carve, have the binding blend in to the revealed stripe so that it looks like the binding runs around the perimeter of the body, and then through the forearm carve.  I don't suspect that would be easy to execute, but in my head, it looks amazing!

Thoughts?

Well, if you weren't already aware of this @eubie Music Man use liquid binding that is injected into a CNC-routed channel in the blank. The body is then routed out from that, binding and all. It wouldn't be too impractical to do wicked crazy binding effects via this sort of method. Of course, it would be for Andrew since he doesn't use CNC (other than the laser).

59 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

liquid binding that is injected into a CNC-routed channel in the blank.

That sounds really interesting - but gives me mixed vibes.  I watched the factory tour video where they show/describe that process, and it looks a little too mass-produced-perfection for my taste.  On the other hand, if you got creative with it, you might be able to do some really interesting things.

Ugh - I just realized I don't like guitars that are built perfectly using technology and automation.  At least it's because I'm old, and not because I'm a hipster.

• Like 2

Finally went out and took pics of my other recent multi-8!

Voyager MS8
26.5-28" multiscale 8 string
Padauk body with wenge top
Wenge neck with padauk accent lam
Ebony fretboard, 20" radius
Jescar 47095SS fretwire
Bare Knuckle Nailbomb set with ceramic bridge
5-way rotary switch (bridge series, outer coils parallel, outer coils series, inner coils parallel, neck series)
Hipshot hardware

IMG_20170626_162357_zpsp3r0pbh1.jpg
IMG_20170626_162417_zpsvcmqdety.jpg
IMG_20170626_162502_zpslgfl6rnv.jpg
IMG_20170626_162534_zpsgbynncoy.jpg
IMG_20170626_162655_zpslomxwjha.jpg
IMG_20170626_162632_zpszxdk1xjl.jpg
IMG_20170626_162608_zps6tyfpzul.jpg

• Like 2