Sign in to follow this  
GregP

Poking in

GregP    8

Hey all!

Some of the long-time members might remember me from a long time ago. Mostly because I was all talk & research and very little "making guitars". Westhemann called me out on it a few times, and time has shown that he was right all along. ;-)

I had a guitar in progress and screwed up the inlay of the fingerboard. Then the maple cap I bought was shipped to me cupped and I couldn't figure out a good way of "fixing" it. These things cost money and I had none. In the meantime I actually got around to completing a project, a lap steel. It was way more my speed and I should have done something like that to start with. Suffice it to say, my failure with the solidbody was disheartening, what little momentum I had was quickly poured into the lap steel and then I was burned out. I was happy to have completed "something", and the rest of the guitar parts went into a box where they remain to this day.

I also "comissioned" a guitar that I knew was beyond my skill from a former member here, which was never delivered. I guess I didn't want to accidentally bump into him and get angry or anything. He was a good (great) guy who just had some personal issues combined with a busy schedule. I'm sure he also has regrets about never delivering, so if he's still around and ends up reading this (he'd know who he is), know that there was never any anger, just some disappointment.

In any event, I found myself wanting to fire up another guitar project... something a bit less ambitious (I hope)... and I know I'll have questions about it, so I thought I'd re-introduce myself so that you'll know who I am when I'm begging for help. ;-)

In the meantime, I ended up adding 2 more kids to my brood! Now I have 2 boys (7 and 4) and a girl (2 years old this month) Having a bunch of kids sure gives a guy some patience and humility, so maybe this second time around will work out better. Being a dad also teaches a guy not to make any promises, so I'll leave it at that... a "maybe" and a hope.

Hi everybody!

Greg

Edited by GregP
Updated the part about the kids... apparently I left here 7-ish years ago, so I would have been married with one kid already!

westhemann    301

Hey,man.Good to see you're still around.

Good luck.I haven't built anything in a pretty long time myself.If I'm being honest with myself I'm fairly disappointed in the constant monotony of middle age and that's resulting in a total lack of drive and inspiration.

I have a plan to fix all that by moving and changing my entire scene within the next few years..but only time will tell if that does the trick.

Anyway,I remember debating with you over some things...but not the specifics.I don't recall disliking you...but I was still dealing with divorce fallout/etc back then soooo....

• Like 1

GregP    8

Haha, no, your calling me out wasn't really out of any dislike; you were just calling it like you saw it. We got along pretty well most of the time. ;)

Thanks for the good wishes!

ScottR    1,363

You posted before I joined......but I've read a number of them.

Good to have you back and thinking about making sawdust again. We'll be glad to help.

SR

• Like 1

GregP    8

Haha, yes! That was me. ;-)

Man... I am indeed making sawdust (too much of it and no dust retrieval system) but progress is super slow. I'm lucky to steal 10 minutes here and there. I'm getting close-ish, to finishing something, though. Then I have plans for an absolute monstrosity horror show of a lap steel from scraps. Looking forward to that one because of how utterly horrifying it will be.

VanKirk    17

Well, good luck!

I'm finally picking up production as well. I've started with a good dust extraction and filter system. Next, I'm adding a few outlets on a couple of the shop (garage) walls on their own circuit breakers. Now, I'm just trying to keep up with replacing my cheap tools as they break with good stuff. I've scoured the inet and found a few good places that sell StewMac quality (sometimes the same tool minus the StewMac logo) tools and I've slowly been checking things off my Amazon "Wood shop" list.

I've done my best to really plan out all the processes and what I've learned that works best for me, what tools are needed, and design my shop around that workflow while being cognisant of safety. So, dust collection and extraction, safe fume extraction, respirators, goggles, hearing protection, etc. All while sticking to a realistic budget in the hopes that I can eventually turn a profit but not break the bank if I don't. 

Anyways, good luck and good to have you around again even if the Slam thread is now gone, lol (I think some of my best slams may have even been directed at you, haha (all in good fun, of course). Good times!