2.5itims build thread 2017

So... it's been a good day and somewhat a bad day all at the same time. We will start with the good. 

Red dyed Ash/walnut update:

i got the frets leveld, crowned, dressed and polished today, I got the pick guard mounted and did a little test assembly and everything's looking good so far. 

I am about ready for wiring, assembly and setup I'm just waiting on my right side tuners to come in. And still need to drill the holes for the control cavity covers. 

IMG_0014.JPG

IMG_0016.JPG

IMG_0017.JPG

IMG_0018.JPG

IMG_0019.JPG

IMG_0020.JPG

Walnut/zw/curly maple update:

i got the neck buffed out and was going to do a bit of a mock up and unfortunately when I tried to instal the tuners it split the headstock, it didn't break all the way off so I was able to squeeze some glue in with a syringe and get it clamped up. The tuners fit just fine before oil but after they were a bit to tight, I pushed a bit harder than I should have. 

I will have to sand it down a bit and re oil it but hopefully it's a good fix. 

IMG_0021.JPG

IMG_0022.JPG

IMG_0024.JPG

IMG_0025.JPG

IMG_0027.JPG

IMG_0028.JPG

Edited by 2.5itim

In its defense I did try to force it pretty good. But I will definitely keep an eye on it after putting string tension on it. 

The odies oil that I'm using really didn't last very well after being open and it was very clumpy instead of the smooth consistency it was when I first opened it. After I realized it broke I looked in the hole and there was a bunch of oil just clumped up in there so I'm thinking that's why the tuner wouldn't go in, I should have cleaned it out first. 

Black limba/padauk/wenge twins update:

over the last few days I've been getting to body woods jointed and glued up so last night was able to get the body shape cut into them. 

I had a minor, I guess major set back on the one with the black limba back. when I was getting the back ready to be glued to the body I had a good chunk of it break off, I'm going to have to get pretty creative with my back carve to tie that in. 

IMG_0082.JPG

IMG_0083.JPG

IMG_0084.JPG

IMG_0085.JPG

IMG_0086.JPG

IMG_0088.JPG

IMG_0091.JPG

IMG_0093.JPG

Edited by 2.5itim

I agree Scott, I think the padauk and limba look so good together. I think the wenge necks will be a good fit also. 

The piece that broke off wasn't lost, my initial thought was to glue it back on but when it broke the thing splintered everywhere so I think it would be way more trouble than it's worth to get it to line up correctly again. 

Im thinking I'm going to take my belly carve way deep and extend it into the horn area to look like the limba was never suppose to be in that area. 

great looking body and neck on this one. Looking forward to the end result to give me some inspiration for my next build.

carving the horn will solve the problem hopefully. Funny how sometimes your design get's influenced by practicalities like these. It might end up as a signature mark even maybe!  ;-)

good luck

ps. Great radiusing jig. 

I've been busy with the red ash guitar over the last week, I had to plug the bridge mounting holes and redrill them 1/8" to the treble side because the neck didn't line up perfectly. No biggie tho, got it all sorted out. 

Also got it wired up, made the nut and string up to see how the wiring was. I have a issue somewhere because it isn't getting near the output that it should but I'll sort that out when I get the time. 

I know I've got the bridge pickup backwards, thought I'd see how it'd look with the names facing each other. I'm gonna swap it around. 

IMG_0141.JPG

IMG_0170.JPG

Today I put in a bunch of work on the quilted maple top guitar. Got the sapele grain filled, finish sanded to 600, dyed the top purple and the neck is glued in. Tomorrow it'll get the odies oil applied and I'm going to go pick up some odies wood butter to give that a try and see how I like it. 

IMG_0224.JPG

IMG_0225.JPG

• Like 1

Quilted maple/sapele update:

today I got the output jack hole drilled, locating holes for the sperzel tuners drilled and test fitted, and oiled. I don't have many pics to show of it. 

I did talk to the owner of odies oil last week and he told me a bunch of tips and techniques so I'm kinda using this guitar and the walnut/zw/curly maple guitar as kind of testing dummies I guess you could say. 

IMG_0235.JPG

IMG_0236.JPG

Thank you guys! 

Scott, I actually didn't mask at all. As I'm dying I wait till my rag doesn't have liquid running out of it before I do the outside edges of the top. I do get a little bit of bleed thru so after each coat of dye I go over the edges with my sanding block. It's tedious but I'm very happy with the outcome. 

Black limba/padauk/wenge twins update:

i got a new set of neck/pocket templates made and I'm totally happy with them. The neck pocket comes out dead on each time and it has the bridge mounting holes on the template so I can go ahead and drill the holes for that while doing my neck pocket and I know that it'll be dead on every time. 

Yesterday I got the neck taper cut, neck pockets routed and bridge mounting hole/string thru holes drilled. I still have 1/4" to take off the back of the heels which is why they stick out so much. 

Tonight I will get the heels thicknessed, t nuts for the neck mounting holes installed, drill the holes in the body for the neck mounting bolts and hopefully get my fretboards radiused, slotted and glued up. 

IMG_0242.JPG

IMG_0246.JPG

IMG_0250.JPG

IMG_0251.JPG

IMG_0252.JPG

IMG_0254.JPG

IMG_0255.JPG

Black limba/padauk update: 

ive been working on these a bit over the last week. I got the t nuts installed in the necks, bolt holes drilled in the body, cut the thickness in the necks, radiused the fretboards, cut the fret slots, glued up the fretboards, cut the pickup cavities and got the top of one of them carved. 

I was originally planning to do a 5 bolt setup on these necks but I couldn't make the 2 under the neck pickup work so I had to go with a 3 bolt setup. which is why you see 5 holes in one of the necks. Most of that will be cut away later on. 

IMG_0310.JPG

IMG_0350.JPG

IMG_0349.JPG

IMG_0351.JPG

IMG_0353.JPG

Black top prs body update:

we finally had a day with temperatures above 65 degrees. So I was able to get the top repainted for the 3rd time and sprayed 3 coats of nitro, I'm gonna let it sit till next weekend, wet sand and then spray a few more coats and see how it's looking. 

I set up a make shift spraybooth and the light reflection made it look silver, it's not lol. 

IMG_0338.JPG