2.5itims build thread 2017

Haha thanks pariahrob! I don't know if I'd say a neat freak but just trying to step my game up a bit in areas. 

So as for what I've been up to this last week, the purple n12 offset is completely done. This is hands down my favorite guitar I've ever built, not sure if I'm gonna want to sell this one. Professional photos should be done next week. 

IMG_2319.JPG

IMG_2320.JPG

IMG_2321.JPG

Ive also started 2 more n12's. The first is a solid body 7 string, ash body, curly maple top, bound in 1/2" black binding, with a red to black fade dye job and im still finishing it in tru oil. I had a curupay 7 string neck I started making a few months ago so I'm gonna use that with a macassar ebony fretboard. I'm just waiting on all my hardware to show up so I can finish the neck. 

IMG_2401.JPG

IMG_2405.PNG

The 2nd n12 is a semi hollow 6 string. Sapele body, curly maple back, curly maple top, with a blue dye job and I'm still finishing it in tru oil. I will be starting on the neck this week, it will be sapele but not sure on the fretboard yet. 

And im really sorry guys, I'm terrible at posting build pics, I'm gonna try and work on that. Lol

IMG_2249.JPG

IMG_2252.JPG

IMG_2257.JPG

IMG_2259.JPG

IMG_2411.JPG

IMG_2416.JPG

IMG_2438.JPG

IMG_2440.JPG

IMG_2445.JPG

IMG_2447.JPG

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FINEFUZZ said:

Very lovely proportions throughout. 

That is some beautiful wiring- are you twisting the ground wire with a drill, or do you purchase it that way?

Paul

Thank you all! I hope that you all had a great New Years. 

Yep paul, I twist it with a drill. I buy it in regular ole 20g copper wiring and then twist it. 

its always inspiring to see people put in the extra work in places where I'd never think of. Like that wiring trick. Love that.

Also - tru-oil over dyed top.. For some reason I always assumed that tru oil would work as a natural (unstained) finish, and for dyed tops I'm forced to spray some clear. What kind of stain did you use here? I'd think tru-oil is gonna add some amber tint to the finish, but for red it's not a problem, I wonder how that would work on blue or green. Looks like I need to do some tests on scrap.

Tru-Oil will always add a definite amber contribution to a finish, especially if the intention is to produce a reasonable level of build. The basic oil behind the dryers and additives is linseed/flax oil, which has a very distinct yellow to amber tint. To my knowledge, the blondest polymerising natural oil is safflower, and even then that is sort of like a platinum yellow. Sort of like the colour of the Groper-In-Chief's "hair".

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/10/2018 at 3:32 AM, pan_kara said:

its always inspiring to see people put in the extra work in places where I'd never think of. Like that wiring trick. Love that.

Also - tru-oil over dyed top.. For some reason I always assumed that tru oil would work as a natural (unstained) finish, and for dyed tops I'm forced to spray some clear. What kind of stain did you use here? I'd think tru-oil is gonna add some amber tint to the finish, but for red it's not a problem, I wonder how that would work on blue or green. Looks like I need to do some tests on scrap.

Yeah man, you don't see people use tru oil over dyed woods a whole lot but I've been doing it for years with refinishing and now in my building. Prostheta is right, it will add a slight amber tint to your color so I've always tested on scrap to make sure I'm gonna be satisfied with the end result. Which I almost always am. 

That blue semi hollow above has tru oil on it and I refinished an old ibanez s1620 in green which I really liked. 

I use transtint dyes. 

• Like 1