Saturday Shop Shot - post photos of your bench as it is!

Prostheta

Alrighty, ladies and gentlespoons.... @sdshirtman suggested that we have a rolling thread dedicated to what we're working on, what's on the bench and your general state of play! The rules are;

• No tidying up the work area or massaging it for photo opportunity; shoot it as-is!
  • You don't have to shoot a photo on Saturday, however once a week, every week.
  • Bonus points for feet in shot
  • More points for shop cats or dogs

Every once in a while we'll do a featured photo on the Facebook page or have a laugh about it on the YouTube channel! 

:bixby:

Very well. Here's mine looking fairly neat and uncluttered (no, I didn't clean it especially for the shot). Amongst my office colleages, the manoeuvre I'm currently demonstrating is called FODDING (Feet On Desk, Discussing Internet and Network Gaming):

20170111_162852.jpg

I claim +2 pts for feet, +1 pt for beer.

Oh you guys with your nice neat lightly cluttered shops. Here's mine looking like it does when nearing the end of a project. At least it does have a beer fridge....and a cobbled together stereo with 6 speakers tied together including a big old set of Sansuis from 1980.

IMG_2823_zps0aancfbz.jpg

There's got to be at least one shot looking like it came from the wrong side of the tracks.:D

SR

The shop here looks much the same this week as it did the last, albeit with a bunchload more electronics stuff on the bench plus a Triton oscillating spindle sander. Expect a review....I didn't realise that the Ridgid edge/drum sander was so large, Scott!

Nice cross cut slabs there. Any cracking from the heart outwards in those?

18 hours ago, Prostheta said:

I didn't realise that the Ridgid edge/drum sander was so large, Scott!

It is not nearly as large as it looks there. I'm slowly realizing that my camera has a short focal length when not zoomed out. Sometimes that guitar looks like the neck is long enough for 50 frets in the view finder. The grinder sitting on the sander is roughly the same size as the one on the floor.

18 hours ago, Prostheta said:

Nice cross cut slabs there. Any cracking from the heart outwards in those?

Yeah, tons of cracks up to a half inch wide. That's why they are a work table instead of the finished coffee tables my wife hoped they would be. That and the thought of sanding 3' diameter live oak end grain is incredibly daunting.

SR

• 4 weeks later...

So I am cleaning my shop. I rented a POD for storage. Got a lot to do still as far as getting stuff loaded in the POD.. Hopefully soon the big tools and things I know I will keep will be out and then the merciless sort and  throw shit away starts. LOL!!! I took truck 2 loads of crap to the dump today.

MK

shop2.jpg

shop1.jpg

shop3.jpg

29 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

Nice DW735. Been considering that as a longer-term upgrade after I look access to the school gear.

Yep they work great. I sold all of my Jet Sanding equipment. Had not used them in 4+ years. :) Not going to be able to get my Bandsaw in it though or my roll around tool box.. Thewy are too heavy and cumbersome. I bolted on long 2x4s to the cnc and put a cross bar on each end. Used a rolling floor jack to lift it in the POD. LOL  It (CNC) weighs about 500Lbs Then removed the  supports.

Got the table saw in the POD now. :) The garage looks like a shit hole now LOL!! As if it didn't before I started this cleanup.

shop4.jpeg

Wow that is a mess at the moment. I'd like to picture a hell of a lot of beer to necessitate TWO refrigerators in the garage. 

Since I suggested this thread I'd better participate. Heres two pano's from this afternoon. 

IMG_4606_zpsrae7ii4q.jpg

IMG_4608_zpsftii1vhz.jpg

When I suggested this I was thinking more of a thread where you could post stuff your currently working on without having to start an entirely unique thread. So along those lines heres a few shots of builds I have going at the moment. 

Carve top (Out of a piece of 3/8 thick Redwood burl) over black limba with grain matching magnetic cavity covers. 

IMG_4610_zpsqlyefkc4.jpg

IMG_4609_zps6jeczoke.jpg

Ziricote over Black Limba with paddock binding and fret markers. Same cavity cover treatment as the other.. 

IMG_4611_zpszmyupq4i.jpg

IMG_4612_zpsx56hezr0.jpg

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, sdshirtman said:

Wow that is a mess at the moment. I'd like to picture a hell of a lot of beer to necessitate TWO refrigerators in the garage. 

>SNIP<

Well that's actually an upright freezer and a fridge, :)  But yes it is a fucking mess. It will be worse next week as my foundation guys come to work on my foundation. There will be 3 holes cut in the concrete in the shop, for 3 days.