KEA 2017 builds

3 hours ago, killemall8 said:

Here are a few pics of the dragonburst after being buffed. It is probably my best finish ever.

I can see why you'd say that, it's gorgeous! Don't let go of it when you lay it in the grass. You may never find it again.

SR

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ScottR said:

I can see why you'd say that, it's gorgeous! Don't let go of it when you lay it in the grass. You may never find it again.

SR

AFter all these years ive finally found the product that works for me!
Funny you say that. Because of the color, when i was trying to take pictures in the shade you couldnt tell the difference between the guitar and the grass.

• Like 1

Looks good, however I doubt it removes that much weight in actuality. Tuners, wood choice, strap button position and strap type are more effective modifiers of balance than a few grammes of wood. I bet you tire of sanding the drum marks out of those, yeah? ;)

31 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

Looks good, however I doubt it removes that much weight in actuality. Tuners, wood choice, strap button position and strap type are more effective modifiers of balance than a few grammes of wood. I bet you tire of sanding the drum marks out of those, yeah? ;)

It seems like it removes a lot more compared to the previous design. Im already using the open back hipshots, and putting the strap button in the best possible place on an explorer. I didnt have many other options.

8 hours ago, Prostheta said:

Probably all you can do. I like the open gear Hipshots myself. They're featuring heavily in the multiscale build videos.

Yup, ive been using those exclusively since about 2012. Great tuners.
I changed the plans on the 7 string i posted. Had planned on the redwood burl, but found some better tamo ash that will be even better for it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2017 at 3:59 PM, Mr Natural said:

Good God Luis- you have gotten over your finishing issues havent you. So auto 2k eh? I need to start reading up. I am about over laquer and especially grain fillers. These last few are seriously beautiful axes man. Bravo. 

Ha, funny you say that. There are always unresolveable issues when i do finish work. The green one came out perfect first try somehow.

Been working on the ziricote every day for the past 2 weeks and cant get it to come out right to save my life.  Did about 7 different applications of sealer and had to sand it back down after multiple failures. Resorted to just spraying clear on it and sanding it back. Which i know doesnt work because ive tried that for the past 12 years.

9 hours ago, ScottR said:

Ziricote has demons in it.....

And it is tough anyway to get a finish on it that doesn't darken it and hide all the cool that it has going on.

SR

Aint that the truth!
I ended up spraying a couple coats of 2k clear on it, then using the UV sealer on top of that. It seemed to work well. I dont know why the sealer wouldnt stick to the ziricote smoothly.

That would be the demons.

I had to do something similar with mine. Started with a couple coats of straight nitro, treated that like a sealer and more nitro on top. In other words pretty much straight nitro and no sealer.

That would be the one that jumped off the bench and landed face down on the concrete garage floor just seconds after I finished buffing it out.

Possessed by demons, I tell you.

The stuff looks so good though, it is worth the extra hassle. It is truly amazing looking wood. I cannot fathom how it grows to look like that. I have an offcut that I polished up and keep on my desk. If I look at the end grain in the right light and angle I can barely pick out the growth rings. And they no relation whatsoever to the crazy patterns that make ziricote so cool.

SR

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ScottR said:

That would be the demons.

I had to do something similar with mine. Started with a couple coats of straight nitro, treated that like a sealer and more nitro on top. In other words pretty much straight nitro and no sealer.

That would be the one that jumped off the bench and landed face down on the concrete garage floor just seconds after I finished buffing it out.

Possessed by demons, I tell you.

The stuff looks so good though, it is worth the extra hassle. It is truly amazing looking wood. I cannot fathom how it grows to look like that. I have an offcut that I polished up and keep on my desk. If I look at the end grain in the right light and angle I can barely pick out the growth rings. And they no relation whatsoever to the crazy patterns that make ziricote so cool.

SR

It must be cursed wood since before it was planted.
It came out pretty well after that. Got a few fisheyes that need to be filled.

DSCN0658.JPG

• Like 3

On 7/2/2017 at 8:17 AM, Prostheta said:

First time I've seen a burst on Ziricote, and it looks spectacular. Hope the fisheyes can be resolved. Have you found the source of contamination yet?

That was the main reason i wanted to try it. I had never seen it done before.
I cant figure it out to save my life. Ive used a ton of different cleaners on it. I only wet sanded with mineral spirits. Ive tried cleaning the sealer with both acetone and wax and grease remover for automotive use. Still havnt found a solution. I ordered some crater and fisheye eliminator additive, so hopefully that will help.

Whoa whoa whoa! Do not use that stuff! Fisheyes are usually caused by silicone contamination, and fisheye eliminator is actually silicone oil itself....that way it makes the finish "compatible" with silicone, whereas normally it shys away from that, causing fisheyes. The downside (it's a big one....) is that once you use fisheye eliminator, you are essentially contaminating the entire place with silicone, increasing the likelihood that you'll get fisheyes in future.

Degreasing is usually the way to go. How are you shooting? I'd say that there there either is moisture in the air from your gun, or oil from the compressor contaminating the line.

Sorry to break it to you about the fisheye eliminator....it'll do the trick for the short term but it's a liability going forward. Some people swear by it and succeed, but those are the same people who have constant success putting fires out by hitting them with newspapers. :D

4 hours ago, Prostheta said:

Whoa whoa whoa! Do not use that stuff! Fisheyes are usually caused by silicone contamination, and fisheye eliminator is actually silicone oil itself....that way it makes the finish "compatible" with silicone, whereas normally it shys away from that, causing fisheyes. The downside (it's a big one....) is that once you use fisheye eliminator, you are essentially contaminating the entire place with silicone, increasing the likelihood that you'll get fisheyes in future.

Degreasing is usually the way to go. How are you shooting? I'd say that there there either is moisture in the air from your gun, or oil from the compressor contaminating the line.

Sorry to break it to you about the fisheye eliminator....it'll do the trick for the short term but it's a liability going forward. Some people swear by it and succeed, but those are the same people who have constant success putting fires out by hitting them with newspapers. :D

Hmm, good to know. I couldnt find much research on it or detaisl on the product.
I do need to drain my compressor, now that i think about it! Good to know!