Jump to content

Entry for September 2018's Guitar Of The Month is open!
ENTER HERE!

killemall8

KEA 2017 builds

Recommended Posts

Even here black limba is hard to find. It comes in spurts.
Yup, 100% paduak. I strung it up last night for a test run. Feels great.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Stu. said:

What's the wood like to work with?

Well, the first thing you will notice is orange sawdust everywhere.:D

SR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, ScottR said:

Well, the first thing you will notice is orange sawdust everywhere.:D

SR

Like building guitars on Mars? I need to get some!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was going to compare it to an enthusiastic Bollywood movie, throwing red powder around. Then bursting into dance. Mostly the former, the latter being when you get it in your eyes.

 

51 minutes ago, ScottR said:

Well, the first thing you will notice is orange sawdust everywhere.:D

SR

Then notice this same thing for years to come. Even when you move house.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dont forget the part about forgetting to wear a dusk mask while using an angle grinder to carve the top, and blowing out orange snot for 27 hours. As well as looking like an umpa loompa from the orange dust sticking to you.

The body wood was the best paduak ive ever worked with. It is 100% quartersawn and carved and sanded the best out of any wood ive ever used. The neck had a little bit different grain patter, but was still nice to work with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is one of the nicest pieces of padauk i have seen. How did it sound (volume wise) strung up?is it a ringer?

One of the best sounding basses I made when I was younger was made of pakauk and I have not been able to find decent quarter sawn lumber here in the southeast. I got that piece I used previously in Syracuse NY by chance at an estate sale. Every now and then I find quartersawn but its only 3 or maybe 4 inches wide. Ok for necks- but trying to find for one piece body or even 2 piece hasnt proved sucessful. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, killemall8 said:

Dont forget the part about forgetting to wear a dusk mask while using an angle grinder to carve the top, and blowing out orange snot for 27 hours. As well as looking like an umpa loompa from the orange dust sticking to you.

<_<

I find that it machines well, but splinters fairly easily.

SR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2018 at 7:09 AM, Mr Natural said:

That is one of the nicest pieces of padauk i have seen. How did it sound (volume wise) strung up?is it a ringer?

One of the best sounding basses I made when I was younger was made of pakauk and I have not been able to find decent quarter sawn lumber here in the southeast. I got that piece I used previously in Syracuse NY by chance at an estate sale. Every now and then I find quartersawn but its only 3 or maybe 4 inches wide. Ok for necks- but trying to find for one piece body or even 2 piece hasnt proved sucessful. 

I sounds and feels great so far.
I should have bought more of it. They had enough for probably 4 bodies. And now that shop, the only one in albuquerque that sells exotic woods is going out of business.

 

DSCF2630.JPG

DSCF2635.JPG

DSCF2641.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That paduak is gorgeous. I have a 90s Washburn n4 in paduak and now I want to sand it back. It’s gone dark purple as that wood does but seeing yours looking so fresh it brought on the nostalgia. 

Lovely clean build too. Great shape and love the carve on the top. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks man! Ive loved working with this stuff.
Here is another one added to the que. It has actually been my main focus of builds but i havent had much time. Finally got the body routed to shape, beveled and the neck  fretted and carved today. This one is the highest speced guitar ive ever made.

DSCF2657.thumb.JPG.369085ae3b90759a5049353928c4f1ee.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, killemall8 said:

This one is the highest speced guitar ive ever made.

How so?

Since that is a left handed black limba explorer, I assume you have a commission for this one?

SR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, ScottR said:

How so?

Since that is a left handed black limba explorer, I assume you have a commission for this one?

SR

Its actually not left handed, thats just the back. The front i posted after of the quilted maple top.
Its just overall the most high end guitar ive made. black limba body, super quilted top (expensive, and rare to find wide enough for an explorer) Wenge and flame maple neck. Ive never used all these in one guitar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Black limba, quilted maple, wenge AND flamed maple! That's one hell of a combination.

 

What's the plan for the finish and hardware?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, killemall8 said:

Its actually not left handed, thats just the back. The front i posted after of the quilted maple top.
Its just overall the most high end guitar ive made. black limba body, super quilted top (expensive, and rare to find wide enough for an explorer) Wenge and flame maple neck. Ive never used all these in one guitar.

That's a similar combination to what I used on Justin's Guitar. Black Limba, with a 5A quilted top, only the neck was different--going with black limba and EI rosewood. That is my favorite guitar that I've built so far. What are you using for a fretboard?

SR

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Stu. said:

Black limba, quilted maple, wenge AND flamed maple! That's one hell of a combination.

 

What's the plan for the finish and hardware?

Yup, its a winner for sure!
The finish will be purple burst. The hardware will be mixed gold and black hipshot.

1 hour ago, ScottR said:

That's a similar combination to what I used on Justin's Guitar. Black Limba, with a 5A quilted top, only the neck was different--going with black limba and EI rosewood. That is my favorite guitar that I've built so far. What are you using for a fretboard?

SR

I remember that one like it was yesterday. An amazing guitar!
The fretboard is mac ebony.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DSCF2714.thumb.JPG.4d835fef7c9140f0526ae0561e410a64.JPGBeen getting a lot done lately. All little stuff though. But the ziricote EXP is ready for sanding. The 7 string EXP got its final buff today. The pic is pre level and buff.

DSCF2716.JPG

DSCF2717.JPG

DSCF2725.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice red/black burst. Is that the quilted maple top in the previous post? Because the pattern and body wood look different to me...

SR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/10/2018 at 9:14 AM, ScottR said:

Nice red/black burst. Is that the quilted maple top in the previous post? Because the pattern and body wood look different to me...

SR

No sir, this one was the tamo ash one i posted over a year ago. Longest build of my entire career! I had a lot going on last year and it really took its toll on me.

On 3/10/2018 at 9:19 AM, Prostheta said:

Damn Luis, top drawer stuff as usual.

Thank you sir! Some of the other builds i have going on are even cooler, i just havent gotten around to them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DSCF2736.thumb.JPG.5c306d16089970aa1f6a9d8db201c1ec.JPGDSCF2739.thumb.JPG.68774900de3734455ae0a4c8a2f8bf29.JPGDSCF2751.thumb.JPG.70384f37ba5bf63eb8cbd260f2da1442.JPGA couple of updates. I got the 7 string buffed and ready for hardware. The white is actually the reflection of the clouds.

The purple SS also got its last coats of clear as well.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow! That is some serious purple. How are you getting your little pinstriped edge of your veneer? Any dye bleed under a taped of edge would pretty much wipe the line out.

SR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

right, I didn't notice this detail at first. Is it just sanding the chamfers back? I'd also think you'd get some bleed..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×