KEA 2017 builds

Totally agree with @Stu. That padauk is a beast. Bet it’s quite the heavyweight though. 

i would to  see it again in a few years. Love how padauk darkens up and turns purple. 

Inhave a Washburn n4 which is nearly 20 years old. I took the pickups out recently and was shocked at the difference in colour. 

Really gorgeous work. 

50 minutes ago, FINEFUZZ said:

Beautiful build!

I love the sheen of the wood, how did you finish the padauk?

Thanks! I finished it with danish oil and carnuba wax.

18 hours ago, Pariahrob said:

Totally agree with @Stu. That padauk is a beast. Bet it’s quite the heavyweight though. 

i would to  see it again in a few years. Love how padauk darkens up and turns purple. 

Inhave a Washburn n4 which is nearly 20 years old. I took the pickups out recently and was shocked at the difference in colour. 

Really gorgeous work. 

Thanks man. It actually isnt very heavy. It weighs 7.4lbs.

On 3/29/2018 at 8:20 AM, Mr Natural said:

I am not a big purple fan- but that is well done Luis. 

and then there is that padauk. 

jeepers. 

that thing screams "player" to me. as in- its a player. 

as Stu said- you have made some sick ass guitars over the years- but that one to me is the one I would grab. 

bravo dude. 

Thanks man! I'm really surprised that the Paduak SS was the one everybody liked the most. To me it was the most simple build ive done in a long time. It does look great and play great though.

Here is a sneak peek of the Black limba EXP.

DSCF2954.JPG

DSCF2960.JPG

DSCF2956.JPG

DSCF2957.JPG

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

So my process for that finish isnt really anything spectacular.

I start by doing a dark wash coat of dye on the quilt. I dont use straight black. I use a super dark shade of the color its going to be. In this case, it was almost a midnight blue/ purple dye coat.
I let it dry and sanded it back. Then i did an even more concentrated dye.

But here is the small difference. I mix my alcohol dyes with acetone instead of alcohol. So after the second application, i get a clean cloth and soak it in acetone. I use the clean cloth with acetone and wipe down the dye. This evens it out and you can control how much you take off, instead of having to sand it. This has always helped me get a really even wash coat.

Then after that i sealed it with UV sealer. Sanded to 800.

Then I apply my kandy color. This is "Deep Purple" by Kustom shop.

I sprayed one even coat across the whole thing, which is what you see in the middle.

I let dry for about a minute. Then, with the same gun, i added the burst with the exact same color. I know it looks like an entirely different color, but these kandy colors are so concentrated, it really changes the color with every coat.

Nothing fancy. The pic i posted actually doesnt even have clear coat on it yet.

• Like 3