KEA 2017 builds

Fantastic. Thanks for the insight Luis! I couldn't agree more on "not using black" as a sandback dye. The pigments tend to be super coarse and easily makes the end product look unnatural.

Interesting idea about the acetone. I take it that you are using that after laying down alcohol-borne dye? It doesn't add up using it initially (unless there's something I missed) since both solvents evaporate from the dye, making that choice somewhat moot. Using it to re-mobilise dye for blending, removing excess and balancing things off sounds good though. The proof is in the end result of course.

I've always wanted to try out Kandys, but I don't know of a supplier here in Finland.  I've always dreamt of a deep black cherry over a well-contoured guitar or even a car....

hate to focus in on what is a trivial detail in the face of so many stunning examples of great craftsmanship but... just wondering if those pickups are  just veneer glued to the top of a sealed pickup?  really is a nice touch. 

2 hours ago, mistermikev said:

hate to focus in on what is a trivial detail in the face of so many stunning examples of great craftsmanship but... just wondering if those pickups are  just veneer glued to the top of a sealed pickup?  really is a nice touch. 

Yup, thats all it is. Just veneer glued to EMGs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chuck_Chill-Out said:

Luis, I haven't been on the site for a while until recently. Congrats on the job and I am glad to see you are still building. Amazing work! How is the tamo ash build coming? I never saw that particular wood before and I am intrigued.

Thanks man!
Which Tamo ash guitar?

Thanks man. it turned out well, i would have rather done it a different color though.

Ive been pretty busy lately. Ive still been working on a lot of guitar stuff, but i have been working myself to death. I havent given myself a free day in over 2 months. It might be time to take an actual weekend. DSCF3318.thumb.JPG.e2d08e734465e1d8e94bc88aaf71eb55.JPG

DSCF3330.JPG

DSCF3310.JPG

DSCF3311.JPG

DSCF3319.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...