On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 2:04 PM, charisjapan said:

The volume has a very smooth taper all the way down to zero ... I credit the Emerson treble bleed mod, my first time to use it.  The tone pot, however, is very subtle ... which is fine, as I rarely mess with it.  Maybe the treble bleed affects the treble cut?  Whatever, I am looking forward to worship tomorrow ... practicing in an empty room is different from playing along with 40 or 50 voices.

I thought it a good idea to append this after using in an actual gig environment.  Indeed the Volume knob works like a charm ... in fact, this is the smoothest taper throughout the sweep that I've ever experienced, active or passive, bass or 6-string.  I am definitely going to explore using a cap/resistor bleed in my Les Paul R8, which has the absolute worst taper ... 90% volume drop between 8 and 10 (which seems pretty normal).  And the Tone knob lives!!  In a gig situation, switching from pick to finger, the taper and range worked perfectly.  I could clearly hear the difference, and could dial in just what I wanted ... which I did not expect from a passive circuit.  With the active MusicMan, I could dial in just about anything with humbucker/piezo and TMB onboard preamp, but it's too sensitive, and a hassle to find "that" tone. This is dead-easy, no messing with the amp, just get the exact volume then a quick tweak of the Tone knob.  I will also say that the Bourns pots I used are excellent ... I used CTS exclusively until now, but these 24 mm split-shaft are just the right combination of smooth and fast.

I am pleased to pronounce this repurpose a success.

The bad news is the finish. It looks great now, but the urethane top coat is a bit wimpy.  I've already got a few scratches that I don't think are normal for a guitar finish.  Perhaps I need more coats?  I will use it for a while, and see how it fares ... but I have to make a decision before I finish the sister-build, Chinaberry Two.  I'm not devastated, this IS a beater guitar, and repurposed, and will be used by others perhaps not as careful as I am, so ... we'll see.

Appropriate companion to express the bark/growl/bite of my new axe ... this is Beaujolais the Border Collie.

32431180095_5d8ef4d61a_b.jpg

• Like 1

Speaking of Chinaberry Two, these just arrived!  I wasn't expecting them for another couple of weeks, but ...

Hipshot Type A Aluminum .750 bridge

Hipshot Y-key Ultralite 3/8" tuners

Hipshot 2-string retainer

Hipshot O-Ring knobs

Gotoh black chrome strap pins

Bourns 24 mm split-shaft pots, B500K volumes and A500K tone

Montreux jack

D'Addario short-scale strings

I have everything else except the pickups, which are on order ... Q2.0 Jazz set with optional Locust hardwood covers. :hyper  4-6 weeks. Sigh.

After my daughter's family goes home, I will start making the laminate neck blank and fingerboard.  The cherry wood might need some time to settle, so probably the pickups will arrive before I actually start building. :D

31627013724_1dff7965d5_b.jpg

32434349066_f3e246b36f_b.jpg

Hey all,

This is my first neck.  I'm prepping for the Chinaberry Two neck, but not sure how to proceed.  I was assuming that this plank of Japanese Mountain Cherry (yama-zakura) would be unstable, but when I cut it into a largish neck-blank-sized piece today, it kept shape ... which was a bit twisted.  I cut another piece that was from the same tree (I think) into 30 mm X 30 mm sticks, and they moved around a bit, but not that much, so hoping this piece is not under a lot of internal stress. 

What do you think, will this piece will be stable enough with a thick-ish (7 mm) fretboard?  Maybe add a pair of carbon fiber rods alongside the double-action trussrod? If not, I'll cut this into three pieces and laminate, but if possible, would like to preserve the grain.  I don't have access to a planer or thickness sander, so will use a router sled to flatten this ... expecting 25 mm, then will let it sit a week to make sure it's stable.  One final question, can I carve against the rings like in the picture below?

Present dimensions of this wood are 900 mm X 130 mm X 30 mm (36" X 5" X 1-3/16").  My neck specifications are a 30" scale length, 42 mm nut, .750" bridge spacing (but the Hipshot A allows adjustment),  24 frets, and looking at a medium-C profile.

Appreciate any thoughts ...

Cheers!

32477689266_656b7217d8_b.jpg

32512001995_5ff30065d8_b.jpg

31700305153_92c881ffb4_b.jpg

31700319813_dfe64d2d51_b.jpg

32359735392_cc12046e7a_b.jpg

The key question is: is it done moving? How dry is it? I don't know if letting it sit for a week is long enough to learn anything. Prostheta will likely have some good advice for you, as he deals with this sort of thing all the time. 

As far as making a neck from flatsawn lumber goes, Fender has been doing it for over 6 decades, albeit using maple which has some unique flatsawn characteristics.

SR

8 hours ago, ScottR said:

The key question is: is it done moving? How dry is it? I don't know if letting it sit for a week is long enough to learn anything. Prostheta will likely have some good advice for you, as he deals with this sort of thing all the time. 

As far as making a neck from flatsawn lumber goes, Fender has been doing it for over 6 decades, albeit using maple which has some unique flatsawn characteristics.

SR

AFAIK, the three pieces I got were quite old, and not correctly stickered.  I've had them for six months, and they don't seem to have moved at all ... until I cut the sides off ... and even then, minimal. I'm going to cut the last piece, which is about 60% white sapwood, later today, and hope to get this bass fretboard and maybe two guitar boards.  I will cut these oversized to allow for further movement.

Like I said, this is my first neck, but I have been lurking on a few sites for about a year, trying to get a feel for little sticks (necks) and thick, wide, truncated planks (body blanks) ... I'm a lot more used to studs, rafters, beams, TIG plywood, and lots and lots of pneumatically-driven, cement-coated fasteners, lol.

Never used a router sled before, but it sounds like fun!  I will build a body-sized box, a neck-sized rail, and a radius jig, as they take up a lot less space than any of the tools I wish I had, but will probably never get.  :) After I plane this neck blank, I should know in a week or two if it's going to move more, but even then, I won't make the final plane until it is in basic neck dimension and the truss rod slot is routed.  Either way, the pickups are still 4-6 weeks away from Japan.  Does this sound like a plan?

Oh, forgot to say that the reasons I am so hung up on this cherry, is that 1) it and the Chinaberry are from Japan, 2) the red and white natural colors connect with my Mt. Fuji headstock scheme, and 3) I'm O.C.D. :P

Thanks, ScottR, and looking forward to Prostheta's thoughts.

Was honored to meet up with a2k today at "his" workshop!  Got to play a bit with his 5-string, and brought Chinaberry One.  The shop was empty, but we didn't get any woodwork done ... too busy talking.  I've only met one other builder here in Japan, and few people "get it" about crafting an instrument.  Thanks for the invite!!

a2k

32603305426_dce8f20fc9_b.jpg

me

32523012321_253ecb75fb_b.jpg

Cheers!

• Like 1

It was great hanging out yesterday in "my" spacious shop! Gets lonely in there. :)

Pictures do not do the Chinaberry justice - that's a beautiful piece of wood with the triple threat of beautiful grain, figuring, and chatoyance. The bass plays and sounds great, too!

Now if I could just get used to having no head on a bass... I can jump between 4, 5, and 6 strings without much issue, but take the head off and I have no idea where my hands are anymore. 

After meeting with a2k and seeing his headstock, I got to thinking how I will make the Mt. Fuji work with the cherry blank I have.  To angle, or NOT to angle ,,, THAT is the question.  Angle will require a scarf joint, but will add a little bit to the stability.  A flat headstock is a bit easier , and will probably show off the Mt. Fuji shape to better effect.  Not decided yet, but used MSPaint to give me an idea of what the break angle will be, and truss rod situation.

Cheers!

32659915155_4cac4afc5b_b.jpg

Chinaberry Two neck blank news. Last week made a router sled and used a 30 mm "D" bit to take it from a somewhat warped and uneven +/- 31 mm piece of wood to a proper 28 mm neck blank.

32473931302_d17ec70f2d_b.jpg

32586844586_7d5cf175ea_b.jpg

31848197153_6fb4293151_b.jpg

31817561864_fb49e0011c_b.jpg

Zero movement, but it's only been a week. I'll leave it sit a bit longer, then go ahead and rout truss rod slot and two more slots for carbon fiber reinforcement. Would making three slots in it will create another "opportunity" for movement? I guess I'll find out.

Cheers!

Took the neck blank down another millimeter to 27 mm, still quite flat. Made a neck template so I could get a handle on bridge and pickup locations.  Also, drove myself crazy trying to decide nut slots.  Even string-to-string, even spaces between strings, or hybrid?  I looked at a few bass guitars, and most seem to be either even spaces or hybrid,  My Hipshot Type A bridge can adjust side-to-side a bit, so should be able to do any method ... but leaning on hybrid, as that's what my Musicman is.

Also got a package from the Netherlands today!! Q-tuner Q2.0 Jazz pickups with optional Locust Wood covers. Looks like it will match the Chinaberry, Yay!

Neck design stage, leaning toward a soft-V profile.  Plenty of space for truss rod and two 4 X 6 mm carbon reinforcing rods.

Cheers!

32699140886_24ea6a3ca3_b.jpg

32751660726_e5f0c1cdf7_b.jpg

32624374792_3c8acd806c_b.jpg

32755379865_9b44ea5f73_b.jpg

31977833403_230e5dba89_b.jpg

32668869481_68baacf383_b.jpg

31977845373_4f6fdf7292_b.jpg

32751674656_e8b2146751_b.jpg

The differences in string spacing between some of those options are only a few tenths of a millimetre. My guess is that you won't notice the change in feel over such wide string gaps at the bridge.

Differences in string spacing are more noticeable at the nut, where the strings are closer together and each finger has direct interaction with the strings and frets. Given that the nut spacing is something that gets set in stone (short of replacing the nut altogether), this is where it pays to explore what difference there is between equal spacing and equal gaps

Edit: disregard my waffle. I've misread your previous post and was assuming you were talking about string spacing at the bridge. Carry on.

9 hours ago, curtisa said:

The differences in string spacing between some of those options are only a few tenths of a millimetre. My guess is that you won't notice the change in feel over such wide string gaps at the bridge.

Differences in string spacing are more noticeable at the nut, where the strings are closer together and each finger has direct interaction with the strings and frets. Given that the nut spacing is something that gets set in stone (short of replacing the nut altogether), this is where it pays to explore what difference there is between equal spacing and equal gaps

Edit: disregard my waffle. I've misread your previous post and was assuming you were talking about string spacing at the bridge. Carry on.

Hey curtisa, won't disregard as what you said is still valid ... and all new to me!  I've been searching all over for nut and bridge spacing theory (sounds like SF ;)), and found so many different takes.  Like I said, I settled on a hybrid at the nut, but this bridge has an adjustment feature, so will fiddle around until I find what I like.

Cheers, Mate!

So cut up the board that has a lot of white sapwood hoping to find enough to make a decent fretboard (or two!).  Even with shallow cuts my circular was blackening the wood, but eventually got a few promising pieces.  For this build, I want all white if at all possible, and it looks like I found one. Got out the Made in England #4 Stanley Bailey plane and cleaned it up, making a nice pile of red and white shavings. 

The schoolkids came out (I run a homeschool co-op ) and were amazed.  Japanese city kids don't get much opportunity to see woodwork.  I let them touch the rough side, then planed a bit and showed how smooth it gets.  I was impressed just a few years ago when I first used a nice plane, and it delighted these 6-12 year old kids. Made my day.  Two of the kids have a hamster, so saw that this was the same kind of thing that you buy at a store in a bag, lol. I wasn't sure if cherry was good for pets, so pulled out a piece of SPF and made a couple handfuls of long thin shavings for them to take home ... spoiled hamster! :D

I don't have a bandsaw, so will have to resaw this by hand, so will probably make a cut on each side with my jerry-rigged table saw (a circular saw screwed into the bottom of my workbench) and use a Japanese pull-saw to resaw.  I forsee muscle pain.

Cheers!

32814513835_5b53f45bec_b.jpg

32661163182_f042ea605c_b.jpg

31971734094_96c1b892b0_b.jpg

Edited by charisjapan

Spent a bit of time resawing the cherry planks into fretboard blanks ... a bandsaw job that takes 10 minutes ... if I only had a bandsaw!  Found my table saw under all the stuff on my shop table (of all places! lol.gif), and made slices on each side of the raw planks. Then the fun begins ... handsawing with the grain of pretty hard wood is NOT fun. I will definitely feel this tomorrow! Got 4 blanks, two will be all white sapwood, and two will be red/white heartwood/sapwood. One white will be for the Chinaberry Two, and the other three to add to my stock.

The fun continues as I take these down to about 6-8 mm (from the present 12-14 mm) while making sure there is no twist or bend. I will do that in two steps, first flattening to 10 mm, letting them settle, cutting to approximate size. letting them settle again, the final flattening before slotting and radiusing. All this would be a LOT easier with a power planer or sanding thicknesser ... $$ and space won't allow either, so back to hand tools!  It's all good.

Cheers!

32871306435_72582c6cbb_b.jpg

32028535544_a06463fdb6_b.jpg

32028549594_2102af8bef_b.jpg

using hand tools vs power tools substantially increases the level of satisfaction when the job is done. when you look down at your popeye forearms and say to yourself- yeah- that was a lot of work-  you smile inside a little bit more in my opinion. 

This is shaping up nicely. Do I see carbon fiber rods in your ms paint mark up? I think that would help a bit with potential movement in the wood after the fact. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Mr Natural said:

using hand tools vs power tools substantially increases the level of satisfaction when the job is done. when you look down at your popeye forearms and say to yourself- yeah- that was a lot of work-  you smile inside a little bit more in my opinion. 

This is shaping up nicely. Do I see carbon fiber rods in your ms paint mark up? I think that would help a bit with potential movement in the wood after the fact. 

Yes indeedy!  I am what I am and that's all that I am. Toot!

Yes, I found some very high quality 4 X 6 mm carbon rods here, quite a bit stronger than the hobby stuff.  At least that is their claim.

Thanks for the encouragement ... and Popeye memory! :)

51 minutes ago, ScottR said:

Agreed. I do a lot of steps by hand as well.....not re-sawing though. :D

I've never seen a Dewalt hand saw. Isn't that an oxymoron?

SR

I can recommend resawing fretboard blanks to anyone who eats their spinach-k. :)

Dewalt hand tool ... right?!?  Found that saw at Honolulu Home Depot ... looked a lot better than the cheapo Stanley.

Cheers

8 hours ago, ScottR said:

You can get a similar workout at a gym....for a monthly fee. Think of all the money you're saving!:D

SR

Oh, yeah~~

Not to mention all the money I am saving by building guitars!  :P

I wanted a Clapton sig strat, so saved a bunch by getting a real neck ($450) the active electronics and S-1 switch, etc. ($200) and quality body and hardware ($600+).  Yes, it was cheaper, and it sounds great!  But then the idea of "saving money" to build an LP scratch-build when the True Historics and CCs hit 10K attached itself to my soul ... lol!

but yes, I'm enjoying this immensely, and have just about everything I need to start the LP, just need a bit more experience before I attack the Spanish Cedar blank, figured maple top, and Braz fretboard. 

Cheers!

Used a router sled to thickness yesterday's resawed boards.  Man, talk about rough cut!  :blush  I feel like a human CNC, but got all four boards to a reasonable thickness ... two bass boards are 10 mm, two guitar boards are 8 mm.  I'll sticker them and let them settle, then thickness again when I get to that point.

Shoulders hurt from resawing, but I'll have Popeye forearms!! :)

32050054684_03b18d5ac0_b.jpg

32768717761_ab8d73b725_b.jpg

32892536825_4ca362b475_b.jpg

32739138432_cdd9c42a1c_b.jpg